Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? Toplef1015 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? I22gcj1015 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? Toplef1015 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? I22gcj1015 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting?

+7
Elizabeth
Kelejan
sanderson
CapeCoddess
NightMist
camprn
iiiigardener
11 posters

Go down

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? Empty 15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting?

Post  iiiigardener 5/7/2013, 12:17 pm

I pulled a package out of my cupboard today to make a 15 bean soup and looking at the bag, I wondered if some of the beans can be used in my SFG? Obviously, split pea won't make the cut but has anyone used bagged beans of this sort in planting?
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? Empty Re: 15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting?

Post  camprn 5/7/2013, 12:43 pm

Yes you can plant the beans

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? Empty Re: 15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting?

Post  iiiigardener 5/7/2013, 12:55 pm

Thanks, camprn! It should be a fun fall project.
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  NightMist 5/7/2013, 11:27 pm

Just bear in mind that the yield will vary from bean to bean.
Some have just abysmal yields per plant, some produce a great abundance.

Still sounds like fun.
NightMist
NightMist

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/24/2015, 10:44 am

I'm so excited to have found this exact topic as I was wondering the same thing just yesterday while staring at my bag of 15 bean soup mix and dreaming.
alrighta
Has anyone else tried it? How do you know which are pole and which are bush?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2015, 12:52 pm

The ones with Ninja foot spikes are the climbing ones. Smile If you have the extra room, it would be fun to try. A few stake teepees.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/24/2015, 1:30 pm

sanderson wrote:The ones with Ninja foot spikes are the climbing ones.  Smile  If you have the extra room, it would be fun to try.  A few stake teepees.
That sounds interesting.  Plant the beans in a circle around the teepee and make a note of each bean then see what comes up.  Sort the best beans and pick out your favourites and then grow the next generation.  Sort your beans into bush and pole,   then you will be able to have your own mix of mixed bean soup in the future.

Of course, it could end up as two-bean soup as your purchased 15 bean may not be viable.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth 3/24/2015, 2:20 pm

Sounds like a fun experiment as long as you do not have high expectations for production.  Food grade beans have been processed differently than planting beans.

I am interested in knowing more about your experiment.

Please keep us posted.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/24/2015, 3:24 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Sounds like a fun experiment as long as you do not have high expectations for production.  Food grade beans have been processed differently than planting beans.

I am interested in knowing more about your experiment.

Please keep us posted.
Please tell us more about the processing of food grade beans and how it differs from seed grade beans. I have never heard about that.

http://www.agmrc.org/commodities__products/grains__oilseeds/dry-edible-bean-profile

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? Empty Teepees

Post  noomi 3/24/2015, 11:38 pm

Camprn: How do you make a teepe (funny coming fro m an Indian ---of the East that is!!)-I understand the concept--How tall should the poles be? this is not for this year, but maybe next year. Just my second year of serious SFG. Last yea wasn't too productive--a little earlier this year--waiting to see the experiment come to fruition (pun intended!)
noomi
noomi

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  TinySpock 3/25/2015, 1:04 am

I swear I was standing in my kitchen this morning, leaning against the counter, holding a bag of 15 bean soup mix and thinking, "Duh, this is a bag of bean seeds for $1.18 (or something, I forget, anyway a lot cheaper than the "30 seeds" for $2.90, or worse, $6.95 {Burpee}).  Cracked me up!
TinySpock
TinySpock

Female Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2015, 1:17 am

I bought a cheap bag of garbanzos from the health food store!

Nommi,  http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=3+sisters+teepee&id=671FFBE56418109E7802F7B11EA5F48F6D2F7802&FORM=IQFRBA

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2015, 1:37 pm

noomi wrote:Camprn: How do you make a teepe (funny coming fro m an Indian ---of the East that is!!)-I understand the concept--How tall should the poles be? this is not for this year, but maybe next year. Just my second year of serious SFG. Last yea wasn't too productive--a little earlier this year--waiting to see the experiment come to fruition (pun intended!)
for the garden a simple one goes like this.

get at least three 8-10 foot poles. Lay them on the ground the bottoms  need to be even. a few feet from the top tie the poles together (use some substantial twine. the string in the video is pretty flimsy) make sure this is secure. Stand the poles up and place them equidistant apart.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting? Empty 15 bean soup mix

Post  noomi 6/27/2017, 6:51 pm

To all who have wished me well in my experiments, thank you. Two years now--Good that I did not try the whole bag. Beans did not germinate, or if they did, I mistakenly yanked them out thinking they were weeds!!! Will try planting them indoors. Probably in cardboard egg cartons--that way I can note which ones are which--then plant the whole container in the ground--save trouble of transplanting individually.  
Spec. thnx & wishes to camprn and @Elizabeth

Correction--Next year indooors
noomi
noomi

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/27/2017, 9:31 pm

camprn wrote:
noomi wrote:Camprn: How do you make a teepe (funny coming fro m an Indian ---of the East that is!!)-I understand the concept--How tall should the poles be? this is not for this year, but maybe next year. Just my second year of serious SFG. Last yea wasn't too productive--a little earlier this year--waiting to see the experiment come to fruition (pun intended!)
for the garden a simple one goes like this.

get at least three 8-10 foot poles. Lay them on the ground the bottoms  need to be even. a few feet from the top tie the poles together (use some substantial twine. the string in the video is pretty flimsy) make sure this is secure. Stand the poles up and place them equidistant apart.

I love this tepee!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/28/2017, 8:34 pm

I vaguely remember somebody doing a thread or some posts inside a thread about soaking and planting the beans from the soup mix.  Sometime back in 2011 or 12 I think.  Anyway, I think there was success on some level.

Kay

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9847-very-inexpensive-bean-seeds#94874

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down