Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest—September 2019 Toplef10N&C Midwest—September 2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest—September 2019 I22gcj10N&C Midwest—September 2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by recoush Today at 9:08 pm

» weed plant that has caused some frustration around the yard
by recoush Today at 8:54 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Today at 6:17 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:32 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:19 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:38 am

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:27 pm

» What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:20 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by sanderson 12/10/2019, 8:04 pm

» What I learned this year...
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2019, 6:29 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/10/2019, 10:32 am

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 11:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan 12/9/2019, 7:02 am

» Homemade Christmas
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 12:22 am

» Grapefruit
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 6:25 pm

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:08 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 12/8/2019, 7:25 am

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by Dan in Ct 12/8/2019, 6:20 am

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by has55 12/8/2019, 3:50 am

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz 12/7/2019, 4:11 pm

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:05 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:30 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 12/6/2019, 1:23 pm

» Bee Balm
by countrynaturals 12/6/2019, 9:34 am

» Hi I’m new
by AtlantaMarie 12/6/2019, 6:47 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest—September 2019

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/1/2019, 10:11 am

Wow, I can’t believe it’s September already, but here it feels like Fall.  Beautiful weather so far.  

I was looking at a Facebook post from one year ago, and my large tomatoes are really really behind.  And my peppers are just starting to turn red, whereas last year I had oodles of red ones.  Every year is different!  

Enjoying a piece of zucchini bread with my coffee this morning!  Life is good, friends!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  countrynaturals on 9/1/2019, 10:28 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Enjoying a piece of zucchini bread with my coffee this morning!  Life is good, friends!
yeppers reading
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5024
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/1/2019, 1:30 pm

What are you planting in September?  Today I planted some Bloomsdale Spinach, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, and Red Russian Kale. Also thinned the Perpetual Spinach and transplanted the culls into a new bed. It is going to be a beautiful fall season!



OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/1/2019, 9:02 pm

Last week I planted your perpetual spinach and sora radish!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/1/2019, 9:03 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Enjoying a piece of zucchini bread with my coffee this morning!  Life is good, friends!
yeppers reading
Oh yes!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/3/2019, 6:30 pm

Just picked my last 2 melons:  the much anticipated True Charentais!  Fragrant and lovely, can’t wait to eat one, need to mow first...

Also picked (close to the last) 3 pattypans, 3 cukes, and a handful of cherry maters...hope i have enough summer to finish up my big maters.  Forgot to dig taters will need to do that this weekend.  

Will pull the South Annex this weekend, and give some love to the compost bin.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/3/2019, 6:53 pm

Cleaned out the cucumber & summer squash bed today, and topped it off with compost, rock dust, and humates. Then broadcast the winter cover crop of Winter Rye and inoculated Hairy Vetch.  The squash and cucumbers were done, so now the bed is ready for winter. The bed next to it is full of Butternut and Acorn winter squash, so it will probably be another month before I can prepare it for winter.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/3/2019, 8:39 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:Cleaned out the cucumber & summer squash bed today, and topped it off with compost, rock dust, and humates. Then broadcast the winter cover crop of Winter Rye and inoculated Hairy Vetch.  The squash and cucumbers were done, so now the bed is ready for winter. The bed next to it is full of Butternut and Acorn winter squash, so it will probably be another month before I can prepare it for winter.
Nice. I am in the same boat as far as squashes for the most part...I think there may be some more (but not many) cukes...I think I am gonna make Sweet/Hot pickles with my last big hurrah of those cucumbers!!!  National and Chicago pickling varieties VERY prolific if you want to put some of them up!  YES!

Where do you store your winter squash?  And garlic/onions?  

My winter squash is Delicata, there are 2 out there yet but they are gonna be done soon.’’

Some of my winter sowing of crops are up (turnips and radish seedlings—surprise!) so we will see.  Will dig taters this weekend.  YUM!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/4/2019, 8:51 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Where do you store your winter squash?  And garlic/onions?  

My winter squash is Delicata, there are 2 out there yet but they are gonna be done soon.’’

We have an unheated utility room that we use to store fruit, vegetables, and root crops. They keep well throughout the winter.  An important thing about storing winter squash is to ensure they are kept separated with good air flow around them - if they are stacked or stored in a basket against each other, they will spoil quickly.

In addition the many Butternut and Acorn winter squash, we have two very nice Cushaw squash, and four Red Kuri this year. Can't wait to dig into one of those!  Smile
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/4/2019, 8:12 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Where do you store your winter squash?  And garlic/onions?  

My winter squash is Delicata, there are 2 out there yet but they are gonna be done soon.’’

We have an unheated utility room that we use to store fruit, vegetables, and root crops. They keep well throughout the winter.  An important thing about storing winter squash is to ensure they are kept separated with good air flow around them - if they are stacked or stored in a basket against each other, they will spoil quickly.

In addition the many Butternut and Acorn winter squash, we have two very nice Cushaw squash, and four Red Kuri this year. Can't wait to dig into one of those!  Smile
I ordered and got Red Kuri too late to plant it!  Will be anxious about your review.  My basement isn’t that cool...it’s probably cooler than up here...I am just unsure.  I will figure it out.  I do have a fan down there!  

I have never grown those squashes, but this is my 2nd year for Delicata.  Nice texture and taste.  
Edible skin.  Keeps well but not long term!  

Keep notes!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/4/2019, 8:34 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:I ordered and got Red Kuri too late to plant it!  Will be anxious about your review.  My basement isn’t that cool...it’s probably cooler than up here...I am just unsure.  I will figure it out.  I do have a fan down there!  

I have never grown those squashes, but this is my 2nd year for Delicata.  Nice texture and taste.  
Edible skin.  Keeps well but not long term!  

Keep notes!!!!

We don't have a basement, so to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, We do what we can, with what we have, with where we are.

You'll love Red Kuri! They have a sweet meat, with a hint of chestnut flavor. If you like squash pie, you'll absolutely love Red Kuri Squash Pie!  We get 4 or 5 squash per plant. They are heavy feeders, though, so you want to make sure the soil is rich with compost before planting.

Hint: If you are growing big winter squash, such a Hubbard, Red Kuri, or Cushaw, put a coconut door mat under the squash to keep it off the ground and getting too damp.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  mollyhespra on 9/4/2019, 11:16 pm

I thought winter squash didn't like cool storage. I've kept mine in the past inside a laundry basket in a spare (heated) room with no problems. Maybe I got lucky? thinking
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 879
Join date : 2012-09-21
Age : 54
Location : Waaaay upstate, NH (zone 4)

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/5/2019, 6:28 pm

Mollyhespera, I think you’re right....my basement is kinda like a crapshoot though...I will just do the best I can.  

OG, do you eat the flesh of the Red Kuri?  I appreciate your input a lot.  I hope the Sora radishes come up!  

Cool here, fall-like for a day or so yet.  Nice.  Watered my newly planted and not so great germinating squares...lol.  Days noticeably shorter.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/7/2019, 8:05 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:OG, do you eat the flesh of the Red Kuri?  I appreciate your input a lot.  I hope the Sora radishes come up! 

Yes, we cook it just like the Hubbard or Cushaw, and then serve in chunks with flavored butter - just use a spoon to peel the flesh off of the skin.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/7/2019, 8:12 pm

The Summer Daikon Radishes (Minowase Summer) have done very well this year in spite of the hot, dry weather.  Pulled this one today since we needed some for salads. It measured 14" long by 3.75" diameter, and weighed in at 3# 13oz.   And, what has been eaten so far was delicious!

The raised bed is 18" high, and the Radish was using most of it!
N&C Midwest—September 2019 Daikon14

The ruler shows the diameter
N&C Midwest—September 2019 Daikon15

This was the Radish plant before it was pulled
N&C Midwest—September 2019 Daikon16
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/8/2019, 9:41 am

Wow!  That is a nice Daikon!  I am going to get my Yukon Golds, beets and carrots today.  Might put some spinach seeds in those squares after I get them cleaned out and amended.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/8/2019, 1:21 pm

Well, got my root veggies out and picked some more stuff too.   Put the South Annex to sleep and cleaned out the squash and melon vines (itchy)!  Quite a few of my carrots got stuck and I had to dig them out!  

N&C Midwest—September 2019 97b75310

Pretty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  yolos on 9/8/2019, 6:51 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Well, got my root veggies out and picked some more stuff too.   Put the South Annex to sleep and cleaned out the squash and melon vines (itchy)!  Quite a few of my carrots got stuck and I had to dig them out!  

N&C Midwest—September 2019 97b75310

Pretty!
Looks like a good haul.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3820
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 69
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/9/2019, 9:01 am

@yolos wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Well, got my root veggies out and picked some more stuff too.   Put the South Annex to sleep and cleaned out the squash and melon vines (itchy)!  Quite a few of my carrots got stuck and I had to dig them out!  

N&C Midwest—September 2019 97b75310

Pretty!
Looks like a good haul.
Thanks, it was!  Some of the carrots didn’t want to come out, I had to dig quite a few of them out!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/9/2019, 7:42 pm

Lots of tomatoes coming in - hard to keep up with them!

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Tomato42
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/9/2019, 8:59 pm

All I have basically had is the cherry tomatoes, OG.  Lots of big green ones out there...hope they can get some color!

Nice haul!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/9/2019, 9:15 pm

I hope your big ones start ripening for you soon SR, the first day of fall is only 12 days away!   We are getting 3 or 4 Golden Jubilee a day, and 2 or 3 Brandywine a day (except today there were 4).  Both the red and yellow cherry tomatoes have gone crazy.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/10/2019, 8:55 am

@OhioGardener wrote:I hope your big ones start ripening for you soon SR, the first day of fall is only 12 days away!   We are getting 3 or 4 Golden Jubilee a day, and 2 or 3 Brandywine a day (except today there were 4).  Both the red and yellow cherry tomatoes have gone crazy.
I know it!  Summer is running out; but I think the next few days of weather are going to prove us wrong?  Maybe that’s what they need?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 57
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  OhioGardener on 9/15/2019, 10:59 am

The Sweet Banana Peppers keep on coming in....

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Banana23
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  countrynaturals on 9/15/2019, 11:54 am

@OhioGardener wrote:The Sweet Banana Peppers keep on coming in....

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Banana23
WAAAA! Mine never even sprouted. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5024
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—September 2019 Empty Re: N&C Midwest—September 2019

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum