Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 Toplef10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 I22gcj10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 Toplef10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 I22gcj10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

+16
yolos
LilBittyBean
Yardslave
bluelacedredhead
RJARPCGP
Kelejan
mollyhespra
Scorpio Rising
Judy McConnell
donnainzone5
countrynaturals
CapeCoddess
OhioGardener
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
trolleydriver
20 posters

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 Empty Re: TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

Post  Kelejan 12/17/2020, 1:33 pm

Other fluids?  Rum,  Whiskey, Beer? Have a great Christmas, TD. TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 3170584802
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 Empty Re: TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

Post  trolleydriver 12/17/2020, 3:53 pm

Kelejan wrote:Other fluids?  Rum,  Whiskey, Beer? Have a great Christmas, TD. TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 3170584802
You are funny KJ. Very Happy Laughing Razz 

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas as well.  santa
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/17/2020, 4:35 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Other fluids?  Rum,  Whiskey, Beer? Have a great Christmas, TD. TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 14 3170584802
You are funny KJ. Very Happy Laughing Razz 

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas as well.  santa

It's going to be a very quit on this year.  I am hoping for a good one in 2021.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/29/2020, 4:07 pm

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and wishing you a happy new year.

On December 23rd I had my sixth three-month hormone therapy injection for the prostate cancer. The next day I met via phone with my radiation oncologist. I got an early Christmas present. He told me I don't need to do any more injections. That means I will get 18 months instead of the planned 24 months of hormone therapy.

So now I will focus on building up my strength for the kidney surgery to remove the tumor and part of the kidney. I expect the surgery to be after March when I have my next CT Scan.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

donnainzone5 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/29/2020, 6:25 pm

Wonderful news, TD.  That means you save six months to getting well.

All the best to you and Mrs. TD for 2021.  XXXX
Kelejan
Kelejan

donnainzone5 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/29/2020, 6:27 pm

Kelejan wrote:Wonderful news, TD.  That means you save six months to getting well.

All the best to you and Mrs. TD for 2021.  XXXX
Thanks KJ. Lots of love and all the best for 2021.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 12/30/2020, 2:07 pm

That's great news! Time to focus on that Kidney issue-stay strong.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/20/2021, 7:30 pm

Time for a health update:

This is my last month of hormone therapy for the prostate cancer. I am praying that the cancer will stay in check as my testosterone returns.

On March 5 I had a follow-up CT Scan for my kidney tumor. The scan revealed that the likely cancerous mass on my left kidney has grown slightly. A smaller indeterminate mass on my right kidney also has grown slightly. It is recommended to do an MRI to further investigate that mass. Thankfully no more kidney stones were found by the scan. 

Because there are no kidney stones my urologist is activating my surgery which is expected in the April/May time-frame. The plan is for laparoscopic surgery to remove the main tumor and part of my left kidney. The backup plan is for open surgery. Average recovery times are 6 weeks for laparoscopic an 12 weeks for open surgery.

Needless to say the cancers, pandemic and an aging body (in my 74th year) are a having an impact on me physically and emotionally. I continue to stay strong spiritually. I also eat well on my plant based diet and I exercise (walking, weights, body weight, resistance bands and rebounder).

Due to the timing of the surgery I will not be doing much spring gardening. I have 60 garlic cloves planted last October in the SFG. I have not started anything indoors. I will have to buy transplants and sow seeds. I will also need help from family and friends to get things going.

KCCure recently published my patient story. Click on the following link to read it:

https://kccure.org/2021/03/voice-of-kidney-cancer-clive-hodson/
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

donnainzone5 and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/21/2021, 2:08 am

Wonderful write up. I love you

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/22/2021, 8:41 am

{{{Hugs}}}
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/23/2021, 4:09 pm

That's a fine article, TD. I'm glad that that you had a CT scan; that's the "Gold Standard" for diagnosing kidney tumors. To further characterize the nature of a complex cystic tumor in your other kidney before surgery, your MD recommended an MRI. I'm a retired MRI tech and have lots of experience with abdominal MRI's and they can be quite useful in differentiating kidney masses. In most cases a contrast agent, Gadolinium, is used to enhance tumors. Gadolinium is relatively safe to use, provided your kidney function is good enough to remove it from your system. If your eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) is low (from poorly functioning kidneys), having a contrast injected can cause a rare (and sometimes fatal) condition called Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis, or NSF. I have seen this condition and I would encourage you to talk it over with your physician before submitting yourself to a contrast enhanced MRI. They may be able to get by without a gadolinium injection. Not many surgeons are aware of the risks associated with a contrast enhanced MRI, but most all Nephrologists will schedule dialysis after the procedure is completed to prevent gadolinium toxicity and it's associated complications in someone who's kidney function is poor.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/24/2021, 10:48 am

Thanks for the medical info Yardslave. There has been a lot of discussion on my Prostate Cancer Facebook group about the dangers of the MRI contrast. Most guys in that group are refusing the contrast.  I think I will do the same if I get the MRI for the kidney mass. Cheers
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/10/2021, 7:11 am

My serious medical journey continues.

Last Friday June 4 I had a laparoscopic partial nephrectomy to remove a tumor and part of my left kidney. Due to the location of the tumor it was a difficult procedure but I had a highly skilled minimally invasive surgeon who successfully removed the tumor in a four and a half hour operation. The next day I was walking laps in the hospital unit. I spent three nights in hospital.

I am recovering well. Pain management has been easy and I only needed regular Tylenol. I have been enjoying short walks as well as spending time in our flower and veggie gardens. I have been able to hand water the SFG and do a little weeding.

Recovery is expected to take six weeks during which time I must not lift anything over ten pounds. The tumor has been sent to pathology. There is a ten percent chance that it is benign otherwise it will most likely be a form of kidney cancer. Also this month I am due for a follow-up on my prostate cancer to see if the treatments worked.

Hope you all have a great gardening summer.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

jimmy cee and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/10/2021, 11:23 am

TD, I'm so amazed that you have bounced back so quickly after more than 4 hours of surgery. I admire you for your ability to handle whatever comes your way- very courageous! I wish you a speedy recovery, and I hope your SF garden can wait a bit longer for you to get back in shape. Stay happy, stay well, I'm pulling for you.
Yardslave
Yardslave

jimmy cee and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/10/2021, 1:57 pm

TD,

I think that the fact that you bounced back from such a tedious surgery so quickly is a positive sign.

I'm rooting for that 10%!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/10/2021, 3:10 pm

TD, Welcome back. I'm praying for a good pathology report. bear hug

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/10/2021, 11:23 pm

Will be adding you to my prayer list. I know God answers prayer. I have seen his Holy Spirit move among the congregation,  Blessings to you TD...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 6/13/2021, 10:54 am

TD...well wishes and prayers from Coastal NC too. I am glad to hear you did well.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14