Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer Toplef10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer I22gcj10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer Toplef10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer I22gcj10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

+16
yolos
LilBittyBean
Yardslave
bluelacedredhead
RJARPCGP
Kelejan
mollyhespra
Scorpio Rising
Judy McConnell
donnainzone5
countrynaturals
CapeCoddess
OhioGardener
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
trolleydriver
20 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer Empty TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

Post  trolleydriver 8/30/2019, 11:26 pm

Dear SFG Forum friends, I have something personal to share with you. Yesterday my urologist told me that I have prostate cancer. I seek your support during the coming journey through treatment. Interacting with you on the forum is always uplifting and I pray this will continue.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer Empty Re: TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

Post  sanderson 8/31/2019, 1:00 am

TD, you are a joy to have on this Forum, and I, too, pray that this will continue.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer Empty Re: TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/31/2019, 7:25 am

I second that wholeheartedly, TD. You have my healing thoughts & prayers!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/31/2019, 8:27 am

TD, you are certainly in my thoughts & prayers!  As a cancer survivor, I know the processes you will go through, the ups and downs. The new robotic surgery for prostate cancer is a wonderful thing if you are a candidate for it. Best of luck with the treatments, and I know you will come out the other side a stronger person.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/31/2019, 9:21 am

Well crud. Even though I know you're going to be as fit as a fiddle at the other end, this has to be inconvenient as well as nerve-wracking.
Hugs and prayers that all goes well and the side effects are nil.
CC

PS if you're interested, check out the efgects of mushrooms on cancer.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/31/2019, 9:41 am

TD, we're here for you. Hugs, prayers, positive energy, happy thoughts -- we've got 'em all. You will beat this and we'll be with you all the way.  I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/31/2019, 12:01 pm

Best wishes for a cure and speedy recovery, TD!  My thoughts will be with you.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/1/2019, 10:03 pm

TD, Do you have any appointments this week? What I hated most was the waiting for more information.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/1/2019, 10:55 pm

sanderson wrote:TD,  Do you have any appointments this week?  What I hated most was the waiting for more information.
The waiting is going to be very difficult. I'm still trying to come to grips with the diagnosis and I am not sleeping well. My life seems to be on hold. Our travel and most other plans for the Fall are out the window.

I need to make an appointment with my urologist who gave me the biopsy results. The reason for another meeting is that after he gave me the results I had difficulty focusing on what he was saying about treatments, etc.  So I have a lot of questions

As well, this week I am expecting phone calls from the imaging centre to schedule a bone scan and from the cancer centre to schedule a meeting to discuss radiation treatment.  

I want to make contact with the Ottawa Prostate Cancer Support Network so that I can meet with survivors and other men going through treatment.

Eventually I will have to make a treatment decision ... either surgery or radiation. There are definite pros and cons to both treatments.  

The positive with our health system is that I don't need to worry about the cost of treatment and doctors appointments.  The downside is that scheduling is not always to the patient's benefit.

September is prostate cancer awareness month.  
http://www.prostatecancer.ca/Get-Involved/Events/Prostate-Cancer-Awareness-Month

NOTE: I do appreciate everyone's support but please do not hesitate to tell me if I am giving too much information.  This is an SFG forum not a health forum so I don't want to go offside on this.

Last edited by trolleydriver on 9/1/2019, 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/1/2019, 11:07 pm

When I'm in a difficult waiting & worrying situation, I do something physical -- walking, vacuuming, raking, clean the garage -- anything to help relieve the stress, kill time, and actually accomplish something. It helps a little. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/2/2019, 8:19 am

Two recommendations: 1. Write down your questions as you think of them. That way you have a list when you talk to/see the doctors. If it's not written down, it doesn't count... And you WILL forget them. Also be sure to write down the answers... :-)

2. Make sure you have someone with you at every appointment. They will later be able to recall things you can't. Again, write answers/orders/etc down! Or take a tape recorder.

You got this....!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/2/2019, 8:46 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Two recommendations:  1.  Write down your questions as you think of them.  That way you have a list when you talk to/see the doctors.  If it's not written down, it doesn't count...  And you WILL forget them.  Also be sure to write down the answers...  :-)

2.  Make sure you have someone with you at every appointment.  They will later be able to recall things you can't.  Again, write answers/orders/etc down!  Or take a tape recorder.

You got this....!!
Excellent recommendations.  Over the years I have been in the habit of taking a notebook with me to medical appointments. As you said questions need to be written down. Medical instructions, adivce, etc. and answers to questions also need to be written/recorded. I will take Mrs TD with me to appointments.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 9/2/2019, 8:58 am

Will be thinking of you as you go along this health journey.  It won't be as much fun as gardening but all of us are beside you as you travel the path to better health!
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/2/2019, 9:46 am

TD, I certainly want to hear about your journey though this challenge.  We do become friends over time.  My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family and caregivers.  Prostate cancer is a very well understood entity.  There are lots of resources for you as well.  

Great advice from AM.  You are in very good health otherwise and that will be to your advantage.  Keep us posted!  

Also, feel free to PM me if you need more info!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/2/2019, 1:52 pm

Good advice, AM. Writing down questions. And, TD, I found it was good to have Ken with me during certain appointments, just to verify what I thought I heard!!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/2/2019, 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your support. Very much appreciated.

I just had a one hour chat with a member of the Prostate Cancer Support Group (Ottawa) which was very informative.  Michelle and I plan to attend the group's next meeting on September 19th.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/4/2019, 10:51 pm

Next step is coming up. I am scheduled for a consultation with a radiation oncologist on Friday afternoon.  Gotta do my homework and put together a list of questions to ask.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 9/4/2019, 11:10 pm

Hang in there, TD! Got my fingers crossed for you! BIG hug
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/5/2019, 8:21 am

trolleydriver wrote:Next step is coming up. I am scheduled for a consultation with a radiation oncologist on Friday afternoon.  Gotta do my homework and put together a list of questions to ask.

Keep the faith, TD!  One of your questions should be the on the order of treatement options. I was told that if I elected to have radiation treatment, I would not be able to have surgery afterwards.  But, if I had surgery first, I could later have radiation if needed. But, times and options have changed. Be sure to ask.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/5/2019, 7:43 pm

I am a bit late seeing this thread TD so please accept my love and prayers.

And no, it is not too much for us to read, we need to know so that we can be with you, and if, like me, have no experience of prostate cancer, it is good to learn about it in case it comes into our lives with our own loved ones.

Love and prayers from Kelejan I love you
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/5/2019, 9:40 pm

OG, so, you have been through this?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/6/2019, 8:42 am

That, and several other cancers, Sanderson. I am currently recovering from another skin cancer removal. Fortunately all of mine have been found through early detection, and were able to be surgically removed without requiring further therapy.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 9/6/2019, 11:30 am

OhioGardener wrote:That, and several other cancers, Sanderson. I am currently recovering from another skin cancer removal. Fortunately all of mine have been found through early detection, and were able to be surgically removed without requiring further therapy.
I have what looks like a tiny blood blister on my right leg and right arm. 

I have been watching what looks like possibly just age spots on the top of my right foot. I'm not even 40 yet!

I have a darker spot right under my right breast, but it doesn't look outright evil when shone under a bright light.

Should I panic and get spot-removal-surgery?

My complexion is medium and if under the sun long enough, can possibly be mistaken for a southern or central Italian! Very Happy
(I'm definitely not white like Marcia Cross!) Or of course, a Latino/Latina. Very Happy
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/6/2019, 11:38 am

RJARPCGP wrote:Should I panic and get spot-removal-surgery?

Probably not. Unless they have formed as an Asymmetrical mole appearance, it probably needs watching but no other action at this time. As long as the spots are symmetrical, they are not normally a concern. But, if they are a concern to you, have a dermatologist check them out.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/6/2019, 11:42 am

RJARPCGP wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:That, and several other cancers, Sanderson. I am currently recovering from another skin cancer removal. Fortunately all of mine have been found through early detection, and were able to be surgically removed without requiring further therapy.
I have what looks like a tiny blood blister on my right leg and right arm. 

I have been watching what looks like possibly just age spots on the top of my right foot. I'm not even 40 yet!

I have a darker spot right under my right breast, but it doesn't look outright evil when shone under a bright light.

Should I panic and get spot-removal-surgery?

My complexion is medium and if under the sun long enough, can possibly be mistaken for a southern or central Italian! Very Happy
Or of course, a Latino/Latina. Very Happy
I had that blood blister thingy. It grew so fast I went to urgent care. It was a squamous cell carcinoma, which they removed on the spot. They sent me to a specialist for testing. Everything was fine and I haven't had any trouble since. I also have various other speckles and spots. They looked at all of them and said they were harmless. TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer 43549

For your peace of mind, please go and have them all checked out.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next