Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: October 2018

+3
dstack
OhioGardener
Scorpio Rising
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: October 2018

Post  OhioGardener 10/28/2018, 4:08 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:
N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 3170584802  Drool, drool....

We're still picking cherry tomatoes every day or so, just not from the garden. When I cleaned the gardens, I cut off the tomato plants and hung them upside down in the mud room. The tomatoes are continuing to ripen, but there are getting to be less and less of them every day. Soon, too soon, we will be tomatoless....

This was my first year using the Texas Tomato Cages, and it made it really easy to cut off the plants just below the last branch with tomatoes on it, and pull them out the top of the cages.
Tell me more of these cages, maestro!  

I made the EPIC mistake of not planting my beloved Sungold cherry maters....was overrun with them last year, had A REACTION as I have been known to have, and planted zero.  Wah.   Those babies deliver.  And deliver, and deliver.  You get it.  I love you

The Texas Tomato Cages are folding cages either 20" or 24" diameter (I have the 20"), and 6' tall. It keeps the tomato plants going straight up instead of out all over the garden.   They are redoing their web pages now, so there isn't much information available right now. But there page is: Texas Tomato Cages

You are right about the Sungold cherry tomatoes - we had 2 plants of them this year, and they produced over a quart of ripe tomatoes every day right up until frost killed them.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4536

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/28/2018, 4:27 pm

Today I put one of the Coffee Grounds Silos in place to start collecting Starbucks grounds for next year's gardens. Last year Starbucks was complaining that "nobody" picked up grounds during the winter months, so I decided to help them out. By spring I had one Coffee Grounds Silo full of uncomposted grounds, though redworms had entered the drum through the drain holes I drilled in the bottom and had replaced about 6" of the bottom with worm castings instead of grounds, and the 2nd Silo was about 2/3rds full. By mid-summer all of the coffee grounds were either composted or dug into gardens.

N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 Compos19

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/28/2018, 9:11 pm

Worms love the coffee grounds!  That is basically my entire winter compost contribution.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/30/2018, 8:10 pm

Nice day here today, actually.  Rain on the way.  I am going to completely clean out the boxes this weekend.  We have had unprecedented rain here this year.  Just unreal.  Want to get my garlic in,but we will see!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 10/30/2018, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duplicated!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 Empty Leaves, and more Leaves

Post  OhioGardener 10/31/2018, 5:54 pm

I must learn to be careful what I ask for, since I might get it!  The nearby town has a leaf collection whereby all of the residents rake the leaves to the gutter and the city vacuums them on a specific dates. The city then takes them to the back of one of the parks to "compost" and be used to mulch the park trees.  I mentioned to a friend that lives in town about how I need more leaves to compost for leaf mold, and he said he has two huge Oak trees that he has to rake the leaves up and that he would be happy to bag them for me if I would pick them up. I told him I would love to have them, so he said he'd call when he had some to pick up. Today he called and said he had a "few" bags of leaves if I wanted to pick them up, and he'd get the rest of them this weekend. So, I took the truck down to pick up the leaves. The "few bags of leaves" turned out to be 35 garbage bags full of leaves, all neatly tied up and stacked on the driveway waiting on me. I had to make two trips to get all of them. He said he would probably have 20 more bags by the time he was finished.

Guess my shredder will get a workout now....  Shocked

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/31/2018, 8:09 pm

OhioGardener wrote:I must learn to be careful what I ask for, since I might get it!  The nearby town has a leaf collection whereby all of the residents rake the leaves to the gutter and the city vacuums them on a specific dates. The city then takes them to the back of one of the parks to "compost" and be used to mulch the park trees.  I mentioned to a friend that lives in town about how I need more leaves to compost for leaf mold, and he said he has two huge Oak trees that he has to rake the leaves up and that he would be happy to bag them for me if I would pick them up. I told him I would love to have them, so he said he'd call when he had some to pick up. Today he called and said he had a "few" bags of leaves if I wanted to pick them up, and he'd get the rest of them this weekend. So, I took the truck down to pick up the leaves. The "few bags of leaves" turned out to be 35 garbage bags full of leaves, all neatly tied up and stacked on the driveway waiting on me. I had to make two trips to get all of them. He said he would probably have 20 more bags by the time he was finished.

Guess my shredder will get a workout now....  Shocked
cheers   That is great news!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 10/31/2018, 10:13 pm

OG, be advised that Oak leaves are higher in acid than some of the other leaves and can throw the pH off by a good bit.   Wink 

Ok, I know I read that in a composting article about hot composting.  Now I can't find it and even found that oak leaves, when broken down, are actually a bit alkaline.   Embarassed
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/1/2018, 8:34 pm

I've seen posts on that before, DorothyG, but never had a problem with them when we had our own Oak trees.  According to the Oregon State University Extension Service, "Although oak leaves have an acid pH (4.5 to 4.7) when they are fresh, the breakdown products are neutral to slightly alkaline."  So, I suspect after they have composted over the winter with a few bags of Starbucks coffee grounds, they won't be much of a problem. They'll be mulch next spring.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/3/2018, 2:59 am

It looks like TD and OG are the leaf Kings this fall. N&C Midwest:  October 2018 - Page 3 3170584802

I think the only problem with oak leaves in compost piles, is that it takes longer to break down. They will eventually break down.

Dorothy, was it this thread? https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18500-compost-berkeley-18-day-hot-method?highlight=Berkeley

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/3/2018, 8:21 am

sanderson wrote:I think the only problem with oak leaves in compost piles, is that it takes longer to break down.  They will eventually break down.

That is true, but I have noticed that if I run them through the shredder, and then mix them with some nitrogen source, such as coffee greens, they tend to break down quite a bit over the winter and are ready to use for mulch the next summer.  But, if they aren't shredded they tend to last forever.  When we had a bid oak tree in our front yard, before a tornado tore it down, there would uncomposted oak leaves in the flower beds for years.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/6/2018, 9:34 pm

Interesting!  Nothing to add.  All I have are maple or linden leaves...but great talk......
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3