Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills Toplef10Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills I22gcj10Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills Toplef10Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills I22gcj10Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills

+4
trolleydriver
sanderson
OhioGardener
has55
8 posters

Go down

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills Empty Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills

Post  has55 9/11/2018, 9:10 am

I saw this video to assist in aerating the compost pile without having to manually turn it, but some of the reviews said the auger is only spot welded to the shaft and comes off. Do you guys have a suggestion of a good auger that will fit on my cordless drill, so I can avoid the school of hard knocks?

and I don't want to do the strongman style, everyone knows I'm a lazy gardener.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills Empty Re: Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills

Post  OhioGardener 9/11/2018, 10:35 am

has55 wrote: Do you guys have a suggestion of a good auger that will fit on my cordless drill, so I can avoid the school of hard knocks?

and I don't want to do the strongman style, everyone knows I'm a lazy gardener.

Therein lies the problem - want something small enough that it will fit in a cordless drill, but strong enough to last a long time and easily perform the task.  You can find a large selection of durable, fully welded augers from companies such as A M Leonard, but all of them have a shaft size of 5/8" or larger - which will not fit in a cordless drill, and the cordless drill could not power it. And, you can find a select of "consumer" augers at the big box stores that will fit in a cordless drill, but will self-destruct the first time it hits anything stressful.  So, this engineer does not have any good suggestions.

But then, that is why I like the compost tumblers......they are easy to turn and they make quick, rodent proof compost.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4537

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills Empty Re: Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills

Post  has55 9/11/2018, 6:59 pm

I'm going to look into the power drills for the 5/8 shaft. I think I have 2 here in the shed. I have electricity near the compost bins and may extend it right up to the bins if this work. Thank you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2018, 4:34 am

I bought an auger for the hand drill back in 2013 or 2014.  I think is was 1/4" bit.  I had two problems.  One, I almost broke my arm when the auger froze and the hand drill kept going.   It did not have a screw setting.  Second, I couldn't pull the auger out.  Ergo, Ken built a 3'x3'x3' cage with removable front slats and I bought a manure fork.  Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 3170584802

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 60389  
First movie made the auger look deceptively easy.  At least it was short.

The second movie was too long.  If everything can't be shown in 1-2 minutes, it needs to be cropped.  The design of the cages made it a strong man compost method, not appropriate for 50% to 80% of gardeners.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/12/2018, 10:11 am

Some people just push a length of reinforcing rod into the pile and stir it in a circular motion. Then keep moving the rod to new locations in the pile and repeat. I have concluded that the options for me are:

1. Man up and turn the pile frequently by hand. That is hard work for me.
2. Just let the pile sit and do its thing. That takes a long time.
3. Use a tumbler composter. Needs to be a good one. Mine is rubish. 
4. I had success creating a new raised bed last Fall by layering compostable materials about three feet high on top of cardboard. In the Spring I added an SFG grid and planted potatoes, collards and squash which grew really well. I consider this to be an old style SFG bed.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/12/2018, 12:51 pm

I have one these.
 Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 2Q==

One of these.
Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 2Q==

and one of these.  
Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills 9k=

I primarily use the fork and just dump my bin on a tarp, remix and scoop back in.  The others seem to be more messy, less effective and more work.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2018, 2:39 pm

One of the bonuses of SFG is less work, an easier way to garden even for those with limited mobility. Composting can be hard work and each person has to find the easiest way to do it.

Until last year, I used the large bin with removable front slats, a blue tarp and a horse manure fork. Now it's the double-walled, large chambered Lifetime tumbler with surprisingly good results.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/15/2018, 1:48 pm

great ideas. Thanks, TD, NSR. Sanderson, I forgot the name of your composter.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/25/2018, 4:43 pm

A NOTE 
From Sanderson and Trolleydriver your friendly moderators  Very Happy

The posts concerning compost tumblers that appeared in this thread have been moved to "Tips for Compost Tumbler".   

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20782-tips-for-compost-

The title for this thread is "Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills".
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/25/2018, 5:03 pm

TD, Thank you for moving selected replies to an appropriate, existing thread. thanks

Sometimes, good information gets buried in a topic when things go off topic.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/25/2018, 5:54 pm

sanderson wrote:TD,  Thank you for moving selected replies to an appropriate, existing thread.  thanks

Sometimes, good information gets buried in a topic when things go off topic.
Couldn't have done it without your help.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/27/2018, 8:20 pm

Now my disabilities are making a meal of me I've finally settled on the good old 1/2 " ( 13 mm ) smooth steel rod with a four sided point ground on one end as a heap stabber . A Trolly said " roist " it around in a little circle every time you stab the hole,  till it gets  down to the bottom of the compost . 
Add some water down the finished hole if you feel like it or sprinkle in a teaspoon of compost activator before winter comes if you feel things haven't got fully composted . 

I'm so glad I took the trouble to move over to the full Mel's Mix as my  ANSFG bed fillers, I'm almost totally weed free in the veg beds .  The front garden's flower beds however are a disaster
For I used neat stable cleanings where the horses had been fed natural grass hay whilst in the stables ……  I used it as a 18 inch deep bottom of the flower bed fillers on my 36 high raised brick built beds. The stable muck turned out to be full of viable weed seeds .

Consequently all these beds have been give two serious doses of Roundup weed killer over the last three weeks as the couch grass & several other pernicious weeds were growing & multiplying  faster than I could pull them up.
 We'll be clearing the dead stuff out in a few days time , replanting everything  . nearly 2000 bulbs corms & tubers for starters that's going to deplete my stock of five year old homemade compost I can tell you.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Help for aerating the compost pile - auger drills Empty Easy manual compost aeration

Post  kimekstrom 10/19/2018, 8:18 pm

My bins are far from the house and I didn't want to hook up a drill to an aerator and take it out, but using a pitchfork was too much work, so I never did it.  I bought this crank about a year ago.  I just leave it by the bins and give each of my bins a few quick turns when I walk by.  I am pretty lazy, and this is not hard at all.  Works pretty much exactly as shown on the video on the company's website.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHRH7EE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A39GZFU3WCJ4GM&psc=1
kimekstrom

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 10/20/2018, 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, kimekstrom!

I use the manual crank and I love it -- no need to charge the battery or use electricity. 

It took me awhile to learn to use it when the pile is very high but I figured it out:  start high on the pile, twist and lift, then go slightly deeper, twist and lift, and if you need to go deeper, repeat; circle around the pile to turn all of the compost.  It works well with my Geo-Bin.  I gave up on my pallet compost because this crank and the Geo-Bin has made it easy for me to compost.  In fact, I can now make twice as much compost very fast and I don't have to wait for my hubby to turn over the compost.  I store mine in the garage because I want it to last a long time and I only turn over once a week.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down