Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 Toplef10Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 I22gcj10Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 Toplef10Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 I22gcj10Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4

4 posters

Go down

Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 Empty Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4

Post  Ginger Blue 7/22/2018, 2:35 pm

In September, we will be moving to a new home in the Upper Valley of New Hampshire, Zone 4b.  All of the research I've done since moving to New England 3 years ago has been centered around planting in Zone 5, so I'm having to revise my garden and edible landscaping plans.  I've scoured the internet for Zone 4 info and have some rough ideas of what I'd like to do, but I'd also like input from the hardy folks who garden in Zone 4 (or colder), to learn from your experience and advice.  Here's what I'd like to know:

- What growing methods do you employ? (SFG, containers, hugelkultur, BTE, etc.)

- Do you use a greenhouse and/or hot and cold frames for growing year-round?

- Do you use a root cellar or garage to store produce over winter?

- What edible fruit, self-pollinating trees or shrubs do you grow and how do you winterize them?

- Many websites include Rainier and Bing cherries in Zone 4 lists, but sweet cherries are traditionally grown in Zones 5+.  Do you successfully grow Rainier or other sweet cherries? And, if you grow successfully grow sour cherries, what cultivars do you recommend?

- In your experience, what pollinator attracting flowers or herbs actually grow as perennials, without winterizing or other special care?

- I want to establish dedicated (separate) raised beds for strawberries and asparagus. What advice might you have for me and what cultivars do you recommend for the harsh climate?

- There's lots of wildlife in the area, but it's bears I worry about. Shocked For a long time I've wanted to grow my own grains and rice, but never had the space to try.  Now I'm almost afraid to.  And what about corn?  I really, really want to grow corn!  Do I have cause to be concerned??? Do a few precautionary measures make this a moot point - or should I give up on homegrown grains altogether?

My ultimate goal is to incorporate a majority of organically grown, edible plants into the permanent landscape of the property, providing 4-season interest, with year-round habitat and food for birds and pollinators. If you have thoughts or advice on companion plants or groupings, I'd love to hear them...

Thanks in advance for your replies! Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 3170584802

GB
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 Empty Re: Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4

Post  sanderson 7/22/2018, 4:38 pm

TD lives in Ottawa which is close to your Zone. When he gets back from a vacation, maybe he can help with some of these answers. Also, other gardeners in Maine and northern parts of the NE states can help. I know TD over-winters strawberries under straw in a designated 4' x 4' bed, covered with a chicken wire cage.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4 Empty Re: Looking for answers and advice for growing in Zone 4

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/22/2018, 6:09 pm

Knowing you, I am sure you have always seed this, looks like a matter of timing and choosing the right varieties!

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/gardening-by-zone/zone-4/vegetable-gardening-in-zone-4-2.htm

I try to grow northern, shorter maturing varieties of stuff like peppers and melons, squash.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/23/2018, 2:39 pm

Look up Eliot Coleman and Four Season Farm.  He is in Maine and farms in zone 4.  He is the person who pointed out that he is on the same latitude as the south of France.  That is kind of a mind blowing thought, and opens up possibilities.  He has writen a couple books on gardening in zone 4.

Friends of mine in Maine have a small organic farm.  They raise wheat (Warthog variety, it is really tasty) and corn (Abenaki flint corn makes wonderful cornmeal) in rotation with their vegetable crops.  

I see a greenhouse in your future, maybe unheated like mine, but they are a great season softener.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/23/2018, 5:52 pm

Eliot Coleman, excellent suggestion, Turan!  I have his book, Four Season Harvest.  But my library has several of his books.  Really great resource.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down