Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Toplef10Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning I22gcj10Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Toplef10Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning I22gcj10Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Fri May 17, 2024 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning

2 posters

Go down

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Empty Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning

Post  brianj555 Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:57 am

5 weeks ago, I bought and planted 12 tomato seedlings. ( celebrity and heatwave) As most of you already know, they are of the determinate variety. I bought these before I knew the difference.  ( I have learned since that indeterminate are better for our sfg because they grow up and not so much out since and can be better pruned to stay out of the way of other squares) They are doing very well (I think) for five weeks and my first year.  So well in fact that some of the leaf stems or production stems coming off the main stem are starting to crowd an shade other squares. I have read that it's better NOT to prune determinate varieties, but I think I'm going to need to. Mainly, I'm wanting to tie some of the production or leaf stems up and out of the way by loosely attaching them to the stake like I have the main stem.  What is the best way to do this without damaging these stems that are likely to produce or are already beginning to produce blooms and tiny fruits?  Any suggestions, images, advice or links would be appreciated. I've pretty much scoured YouTube and didn't really get any answers.
Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Img_3817
See how they are beginning to crowd each other and shade my Corn? They are actually starting to push the interior stalks over.  Note: that white stuff is 7 dust.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Empty Re: Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning

Post  sanderson Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:31 am

Turan posted this nice reply below with chart under another thread.  Brian, you can get yourself comfortable and start at the bottom with the main stem and carefully work your way up that stem, pruning from bottom to top.  Where there is one nice sucker with flowers on a plant that you want to let grow, you can stake it like it's another plant.  You can also shorten leaves or remove some leaves to protect your corn if you want. This is your first year and you are learning a lot.

Yes you can tie it to a stake.  Also, see in the crotch of where that leaf leaves the main stem there is a new branch starting?  I would pinch that branch (often called a sucker) off to help keep the plant within bounds.  You can pinch that leaf off as well.

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Tomato-diagram-2_crop_web

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Empty Re: Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning

Post  brianj555 Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 am

sanderson wrote:Turan posted this nice reply below with chart under another thread.  Brian, you can get yourself comfortable and start at the bottom with the main stem and carefully work your way up that stem, pruning from bottom to top.  Where there is one nice sucker with flowers on a plant that you want to let grow, you can stake it like it's another plant.  You can also shorten leaves or remove some leaves to protect your corn if you want.  This is your first year and you are learning a lot.

Yes you can tie it to a stake.  Also, see in the crotch of where that leaf leaves the main stem there is a new branch starting?  I would pinch that branch (often called a sucker) off to help keep the plant within bounds.  You can pinch that leaf off as well.

Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Tomato-diagram-2_crop_web
Yes I am.  And I appreciate you guys helping. I have learned a lot about different types and varieties of tomatoes and what I think I can improve on in regard to selection for next year.  Indeterminate as opposed to determinate ect.  I still might plant a couple determinates for an earlier quicker harvest and will replant that square when they give out. Then I will plant 18 or so more indeterminate for the gift that keeps on giving all year long . In march I should have 80 squares ready to go.  I started out with 40 this year.  I will probably plant a mixture of hybrid and heirloom, while I learn more about the care for the more difficult heirlooms.   I have also learned that I have a lot more to learn about which crops to plant where , so they compliment each other and don't shade out those crops that don't need that. If I remember what I read correctly, the taller the plant gets, the further to the north and west I should plant them in my beds???  Is that right??  I am curious though if shading from other structures could change that??
Determinate Tomatoes - Staking and Pruning Img_3818
I took this pic this morning at 9:30 am my time. (40 days from seeding transplant) US Central.  I am standing on the east side.  The bed planted is on the north side.  The wooden fence is on the west side. I was thinking about planting cukes in the far west squares and tomatoes in the 2 far north sections, working my way about the shorter the crop.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down