Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
determinate tomatoes Toplef10determinate tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

determinate tomatoes I22gcj10determinate tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
determinate tomatoes Toplef10determinate tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

determinate tomatoes I22gcj10determinate tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

determinate tomatoes

+10
Nonna.PapaVino
Old Hippie
Blackrose
Lavender Debs
elliephant
BackyardBirdGardner
Furbalsmom
shannon1
quiltbea
jbh29
14 posters

Go down

determinate tomatoes Empty determinate tomatoes

Post  jbh29 5/1/2011, 7:11 pm

I just read a few posts about determinate tomatoes (bush variety) and it sounds like they are not really preferred for SFG due to how much space they take up. I've got 4 heirloom Marglobe seedlings I've started. I didn't know about determinate vs indeterminate when I started the seeds.

So, now I think I'm just going to scrap those. (I have 6 inderminates also) But I first wanted to hear if anyone out there likes growing determinate toms. I guess I'm looking for the other side of the story.
jbh29
jbh29

Female Posts : 133

Back to top Go down

determinate tomatoes Empty Re: determinate tomatoes

Post  quiltbea 5/1/2011, 8:02 pm

I put in 3 Oregon Spring determinates last spring because they are ultra early. I put 3 in 4 blocks across and circled them with the cheap wire cages.

determinate tomatoes 05-12-11
Taken last May 12th after they'd been in the ground for over 3 weeks since the Oregon Springs can be transplanted outdoors up to a month before last frost date. Note of interest re: O Springs: But cold weather does slow down their growth. They don't die from the cold, but they stop growing til it warms up a bit.
determinate tomatoes 10-02-13
Last Oct 3rd when they were reblossoming, but it was too late in the season for any toms to grow to any size before frost hit.

My toms did fine 3 across, because they didn't interfere with the Swiss chard and parsnips that were grown on their other side.

I'd hate to toss them. If it were me, I'd have to keep them, even if it was to put each one in its own 12" plant pot with a wire cage for support.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jbh29 5/1/2011, 10:45 pm

Great pics, quiltbea. Oh, what to do, what to do... determinate tomatoes 601593 I'll have to try at least one in a container... maybe I'll put one in the corner of a bed (saw that suggestion in a past post about these bushy things...). I do have a hard time with the idea of throwing them out. Yet if I do it now, they are only 2 inches tall. It won't hurt as bad as if I wait ... poor babies...No is it their fault they are determinate?
jbh29
jbh29

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/2/2011, 1:40 am

I grow both because they produce at different times and it staggers my harvest. They don't contune to produce all season like vineing types. I'd just keep them and see what happens. Who knows you may even like them better?
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/2/2011, 3:33 am

jbh29 wrote:I just read a few posts about determinate tomatoes (bush variety) and it sounds like they are not really preferred for SFG due to how much space they take up. I've got 4 heirloom Marglobe seedlings I've started. I didn't know about determinate vs indeterminate when I started the seeds.

So, now I think I'm just going to scrap those. (I have 6 inderminates also) But I first wanted to hear if anyone out there likes growing determinate toms. I guess I'm looking for the other side of the story.
jbh29 also wrote:I'll have to try at least one in a container... maybe I'll put one in the corner of a bed (saw that suggestion in a past post about these bushy things...). I do have a hard time with the idea of throwing them out. Yet if I do it now, they are only 2 inches tall. It won't hurt as bad as if I wait ... poor babies...No is it their fault they are determinate?
If you have the room and a couple of containers, try them, you may like them. My personal container preference is a 5 gal bucket, with drain holes in the bottom and several more near the bottom edge of the side too. I do not have enough North sides to my table tops to allow me to place many tomatoes in SFG beds (cukes, vining zucchini, various vining beans take up all those squares) so into containers they go. Did you know that determinates (bushy) tend to have a big flush of fruit all at the same time, while indeterminates (viney) may be slower to produce their first tomatoes, but will produce until frost? Good reason to have both types.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/2/2011, 5:19 am

5 gal. buckets are great and one can get them for free Wink just ask at your food store deli counter and/or a resteraunt you go to frequently.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/2/2011, 8:35 am

Also, no one said you absolutely had to grow determinates in MM. You could put them elsewhere as not to take up so much space. Containers is a great idea.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/2/2011, 9:11 am

I put 4 determinate plants (Rio Grande) in cages in a 2x8 bed and they are doing so much better than any of my indeterminates. I pulled all my plants by June last year due to the pests, disease, and heat (not setting fruit) anyway, so I think I'm going to plant more determinates next year.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  jbh29 5/2/2011, 11:54 am

I love it! There is always another side to every story. I will give them a try and I think I'll try 5 gal. buckets. I'll see what I can find. (I feel better already, not throwing out any babies.)

Our soil here is pure sand... if I planted them in the ground, I wonder how they would do. Maybe mix some compost into the hole? I may try that too with a couple. I suppose the name of the game is "give it a try"!
jbh29
jbh29

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/2/2011, 12:38 pm

When I am mixing up MM I plan to make enough extra to fill buckets and pots that are equivalent in size to a 5 gallon bucket. I live in Washington State and am forever trying to just get some kind of Tomato to ripen up. Last year, a chilly summer that seldom got above 65 degrees, gave me a new favorite tomato. Siltz (70-75 days, D, parthenocarpic) is a determinant. In my Garden they came one to three at a time instead of all at once.

I grow indeterminants in the SFG and train them up a trellis that doubles as a support for plastic sheeting that can serve as a large cloche while they are still small. In the red-ripe (or orange in the case of Persimmons, 80 days, I, heirloom) Siltz was a clear winner in a chilly summer.

I make a row of black buckets and planters at the edge of my garden for determinant plants. This year I have kept 2 Siltz (D). There are 4 determinant Beaver Lodge Plums (55 days, D) that I hope to be able to sauce. Their Black pots will set on the edge of my deck since they are described as compact plants that want to creep rather than grow tall, perfect for a hanging container....we shall see. Because short season is more important to me than I or D, I have started Legend (68 days, D, parthenocarpic). Three of my 4 cherry tomatoes are determinant.

At the end of the season I dump the buckets of MM into gardens that have settled, add a layer of compost and stir it up for next season. The pots are kept empty for winter and refilled in Spring after the mix is treated to a spring feeding of Lovejoy (2 parts alfalfa meal or pellets, 1 part homegrown compost and 1 part bagged manure). The Tomato pots are as much a part of my garden plan as the boxes.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 5/2/2011, 12:40 pm

jbh29 wrote:I suppose the name of the game is "give it a try"!

Exactly!! What could you lose by trying to plant those tomatoes somewhere else?

I thought I would throw out one more idea of what you can plant those babies in:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4285-self-watering-rubbermaid-container
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/2/2011, 1:12 pm

I feel like I have been stabbed through the heart!! Throw away a baby plant???????? How could you??????? For shame! affraid It is not his/her fault it is a determinate. They have value too and a right to live.determinate tomatoes 225728

I am so happy these others have helped you see the error of your ways. Hopefully, you will be forgiven for even entertaining such a thought. May these baby plants produce so heavily that you will be over run with an abundance of fruit. cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry (I know these are cherries but we don't have a tomato smiley)

Containers my friend. Free five gallon buckets are great. I use Mel's Mix in mine not garden soil.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  jbh29 5/2/2011, 8:36 pm

Old Hippie wrote:I feel like I have been stabbed through the heart!! Throw away a baby plant???????? How could you??????? For shame! affraid It is not his/her fault it is a determinate. They have value too and a right to live.determinate tomatoes 225728

I am so happy these others have helped you see the error of your ways. Hopefully, you will be forgiven for even entertaining such a thought. May these baby plants produce so heavily that you will be over run with an abundance of fruit. cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry (I know these are cherries but we don't have a tomato smiley)

Containers my friend. Free five gallon buckets are great. I use Mel's Mix in mine not garden soil.

Gwynn

Oh, I know! I felt horrible thinking it! They are 2 -3 inches tall, in little 2 inch pots. They are perfect! (I felt sick pulling out the extra sprouts from my vermiculite dish! Sad )

I've been getting so many great tips on this forum this spring, I just knew there would be some answers for me for these determinates too. cheers
jbh29
jbh29

Back to top Go down

determinate tomatoes Empty determinate tomatoes

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/2/2011, 8:40 pm

Gee, I'm doing it all wrong. Here I thought I had to build another bed for the plethora of tomato sprouts! Shoot, there's that space along the south fence that could use another 2'x10' bed, Totally Tomatoes! Woo Hoo, Yeah!
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenBlueberry 5/2/2011, 8:43 pm

I went overboard with my seedlings too, and didn't want to throw them away, so I messaged my friends, and they took pretty much all of them! Can't wait to see their pictures of my babies.
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Female Posts : 88

http://www.tableclothsandsporks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbh29 5/2/2011, 8:46 pm

Blackrose wrote:Exactly!! What could you lose by trying to plant those tomatoes somewhere else?

I thought I would throw out one more idea of what you can plant those babies in:
[url=https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4285-self-watering-rubbermaid-container
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4285-self-watering-rubbermaid-container[/quote[/url]]

Very interesting.... I'll have to do more reading about this one.
jbh29
jbh29

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/2/2011, 9:28 pm

[quote="jbh29"]
Blackrose wrote:Exactly!! What could you lose by trying to plant those tomatoes somewhere else?

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4285-self-watering-rubbermaid-container[/quote]

Very interesting.... I'll have to do more reading about this one.

If you're interested in that, you might be interest in this variation.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/3/2011, 12:54 am

Old Hippie wrote:I feel like I have been stabbed through the heart!! Throw away a baby plant???????? How could you??????? For shame! affraid It is not his/her fault it is a determinate. They have value too and a right to live.determinate tomatoes 225728

Gwynn

Gwen you always make me laugh.

If doing 5gal. buckets or other big containers I fill the bottem with just compost and the top 6" with MM it is much more thrifty that way.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/3/2011, 1:45 pm

jbh29 wrote:Our soil here is pure sand... if I planted them in the ground, I wonder how they would do. Maybe mix some compost into the hole? I may try that too with a couple. I suppose the name of the game is "give it a try"!
You could try... but I had trouble growing tomatoes in sandy soil (not even pure sand). Even when I amended it. I don't think it was able to hold onto enough water. No My tomatoes were pitiful! I think containers are the way to go!
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/3/2011, 2:48 pm

My son's house is built on practically pure sand too. You water and 5 min later the meter registers dry. And that was after amending with peat and compost. He got some tomatos last year but had extreamly high water bills. We did self wicking beds this year and are getting a bumper crop of greens. The real test will come later in the season with the tomatos.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  jbh29 5/4/2011, 4:31 pm

I think I'll put them in buckets this year. I would like to try and make one of the self wicking containers, but realisticly, I don't think I'll be able to get to it. It would be a great comparison, though. Hmmm, I might, even as I'm sitting here, be talking myself into making one anyway... Boy, I'm glutton for punishment! Rolling Eyes
jbh29
jbh29

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 5/4/2011, 10:20 pm

Old Hippie said:

determinate tomatoes Empty

I feel like I have been stabbed through the heart!! Throw away a baby plant???????? How could you??????? For shame! affraid It is not his/her fault it is a determinate. They have value too and a right to live.determinate tomatoes 225728

I am so happy these others have helped you see the error of your ways. Hopefully, you will be forgiven for even entertaining such a thought.

determinate tomatoes 262465 Oh, the humanity!!! Such a terrible waste of a life! Too bad Gwynn can't get dramatic sometimes, hmmm? Tee hee. I guess the old adage "they're just seeds" goes out the window once they've become "viable" seedlings. OMG, Gwynn, that is the most hilarious thing I've read in a while!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down