Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Toplef10Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! I22gcj10Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Toplef10Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! I22gcj10Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9!

5 posters

Go down

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Empty Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9!

Post  brianj555 8/30/2017, 10:31 am

What type of indeterminate heirloom tomato seeds should I order to plant in zone 9 (Gulf Coast Region) for next year? I have checked google, but I am still looking for suggestions from you guy's on what varieties, that fall in the above category, that have proven to do well in my area. I would like to plant a variety of size, shapes, colors and textures for multiple purposes. I will have about 80 square foot sections to plant in and will most likely dedicate a minimum of 20 spots for tomatoes. I'm assuming that 20 spots will be ok to hold 20 plants.???? I would also like your opinions on that, as well as any other suggestions you may have in regard to sowing, planting and caring for indeterminate heirloom varieties. This year, I didn't have my box ready until late July and didn't really know the difference between determinate and indeterminate or the difference between heirloom and hybrid when I planted. As a result, I ended up with "celebrity" (6) and "heatwave" (6) seedlings that I planted on 7/25. Although, they are doing well and I'm thinking it really wasn't a bad thing to plant determinates this time since I planted so late. I am planning to either go to the library and check out or to order a copy of mel's book soon, but I really do enjoy hearing from all of you in addition.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Empty Re: Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9!

Post  trolleydriver 8/30/2017, 10:57 am

Brian, I really encourage you to get Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening book and read it cover to cover. That book puts down a solid foundation on which to build. You can then use other sources such as the great folk and archives on this forum to help you to put the bricks on top of the foundation. This is my third year of SFG and I have read the ANSFG book at least once each year.

BTW this is my first year growing heirloom tomatoes, in particular True Black Brandywine from Baker Creek. I am in a much shorter summer season and much cooler climate than where you are located. We have not had a great summer which has held a lot of things back. The jury is still out on whether or not those TBB heirloom tomatoes were a success.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Empty Re: Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9!

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2017, 12:09 pm

I have yet to find any variety of tomato that will survive our summers. Hubby is going to build me a greenhouse window on the south side of our sun room for the sole purpose of growing tomatoes. If that doesn't work I may have to give up. The only good thing for you is that your "zone 9" is better than my "zone 9" for growing things. GOOD LUCK! geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 8/30/2017, 12:19 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Brian, I really encourage you to get Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening book and read it cover to cover. That book puts down a solid foundation on which to build. You can then use other sources such as the great folk and archives on this forum to help you to put the bricks on top of the foundation. This is my third year of SFG and I have read the ANSFG book at least once each year.

BTW this is my first year growing heirloom tomatoes, in particular True Black Brandywine from Baker Creek. I am in a much shorter summer season and much cooler climate than where you are located. We have not had a great summer which has held a lot of things back. The jury is still out on whether or not those TBB heirloom tomatoes were a success.

I will get the book. I will read the book. Does it discuss what heirloom varieties are good to plant in the zone 9 gulf coast region?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/30/2017, 12:34 pm

brianj555 wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:Brian, I really encourage you to get Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening book and read it cover to cover. That book puts down a solid foundation on which to build. You can then use other sources such as the great folk and archives on this forum to help you to put the bricks on top of the foundation. This is my third year of SFG and I have read the ANSFG book at least once each year.

I will get the book.  I will read the book.  Does it discuss what heirloom varieties are good to plant in the zone 9 gulf coast region?
As I said, the book provides a solid foundation on which to build. It can be used by anyone anywhere who is using the new style of SFG. It would not be possible for the book to address a specific type of a specific vegetable in one of the many, many hardiness zones throughout the world. You are asking the right questions on this forum for your specific area and veggies.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2017, 3:41 pm

Brian, That's great that you will be reading the book. Very Happy

It's been over 100*F for a record number of days this summer. After 4 summers of frustration, I changed varieties. Black Vernissage just keeps producing. They are small, larger than cherries, Barely big enough to slice, but they are prolific. I pick them when they are red and green and just barely soft.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 8/30/2017, 3:54 pm

Brian, it might be helpful for you to check out some of the websites which sell heirloom tomato seeds.  Many of these sites have collections available for specific regions or climates.  One such collection can be found by following the link below (if this collection doesn't fit your need, you may find another, more suitable one, on the site or somewhere else).

https://www.tomatofest.com/tomato-seeds-tropical-hot-humid-collection.html

In most cases, if you find a particular cultivar you want to try, you can purchase the seeds independently of a collection, so you won't have to buy the whole group.

I've heard that growing a great tomato is the Holy Grail of gardening...I wish you great success in your quest! Cool
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2017, 4:14 pm

I tried Mortgage Lifter this year. Did fair. But, remember, I'm Zone 9 but dry!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 8/30/2017, 4:16 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:Brian, it might be helpful for you to check out some of the websites which sell heirloom tomato seeds.  Many of these sites have collections available for specific regions or climates.  One such collection can be found by following the link below (if this collection doesn't fit your need, you may find another, more suitable one, on the site or somewhere else).

https://www.tomatofest.com/tomato-seeds-tropical-hot-humid-collection.html

In most cases, if you find a particular cultivar you want to try, you can purchase the seeds independently of a collection, so you won't have to buy the whole group.

I've heard that growing a great tomato is the Holy Grail of gardening...I wish you great success in your quest! Cool
I just checked it out. That's a great website. Thanks!
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 8/30/2017, 5:43 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I have yet to find any variety of tomato that will survive our summers. Hubby is going to build me a greenhouse window on the south side of our sun room for the sole purpose of growing tomatoes. If that doesn't work I may have to give up. The only good thing for you is that your "zone 9" is better than my "zone 9" for growing things. GOOD LUCK! geek
I found this website today and thought of your situation.  You might have already tried all these already, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post it for you just in case.
Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Img_3810
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2017, 5:52 pm

brianj555 wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I have yet to find any variety of tomato that will survive our summers. Hubby is going to build me a greenhouse window on the south side of our sun room for the sole purpose of growing tomatoes. If that doesn't work I may have to give up. The only good thing for you is that your "zone 9" is better than my "zone 9" for growing things. GOOD LUCK! geek
I found this website today and thought of your situation.  You might have already tried all these already, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post it for you just in case.
Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Img_3810
Thanks, but I can't get the image big enough to read. I also tried that other link, but there's nothing for "hot & dry" climates. There are so many varieties I'm sure I'll find one sooner or later, but right now it's very frustrating. Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Empty @countrynaturals

Post  brianj555 8/30/2017, 6:06 pm

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Img_3811
Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9! Img_3812
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2017, 9:26 pm

Brian, If I lived in AZ or So. CA, NM, So. TX, etc., those would be fun to try. CN, Melen, Audrey and Yard Slave are too far north latitude-wise for winter tomatoes. In "tropical" areas, summer is the off season.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/31/2017, 2:05 pm

Thanks, Brian. Next year I may try some early varieties and see if I can get a crop in before the blistering heat starts.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down