Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 6 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 9/6/2017, 2:04 am

So far, September has been an exciting month, what with losing the AC and staying at a hotel. Ken fixed the unit this morning, replacing the capacitor and the contact switch thingy (and purchased the compressor fan motor to replace when we get home this weekend), all for $75 in parts. Thanks to his son who was able to order the parts at cost for us. We hustled to get packed and I spent a good 30 minutes soaking the beds and tomato strip extra deep. Harvested some tomatoes and eggplants that wouldn't survive until our return. Got to Petaluma (north of SF) by dinner time.

Tomorrow is our full day in Santa Rosa at the Heirloom Exposition. This general area is the fine wine area of California and also a perfect vegetable growing area with warm summers, clean air (except for wild fires) and mild winters.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 9/6/2017, 10:39 am

Have a great time at the show, S! California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 3170584802

Here it's all work and no play. I moved a wheelbarrow full of of rocks to raise the "host bed" (milkweed, Dutchman's Pipe) in the Salad Bar. I want to fill it with leaves for the winter to improve the soil for next spring.

After that I turned a pile of compost to get to the good stuff on the bottom, and used that to re-dress the bean/pea beds in the Rescue Garden. Then I planted snow peas in there.

Next, it was back to the Salad Bar, where I filled in all the holes with a new planting of asparagus beans (direct sow).

Finally, it was up on the deck where I started seeds for broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, Pak Choy, & kale. 

I still need to move more rocks, rake more leaves, and plant my root crops. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2017, 3:26 am

CN,  I got tired just reading about all you are doing. Shocked

We arrived home Saturday evening too late to see the garden.  So Sunday morning, this is what awaited me:  Snow Fairy tomatoes California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Tomato23
Millionaire eggplant California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Eggpla14

It looks like the sweet potatoes are taking over the patio area.  Here are the 2 totes earlier this season. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Sweet_10

This was yesterday, Sunday morning.  Some where under all those leaves are 2 totes and a 2x4' bed. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Sweet_11

When Mel mentioned 3' isles between beds, it was a good idea.  This is a tunnel of peppers and tomatoes I have to crawl through to get to the sweet potatoes. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden10

The keyhole 3 table tops. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden11

Can't go this way anymore.  Eggplant and peppers and the beds I'm babysitting.  The paper beds have drying sorghum and the red things are drying cayenne peppers. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden12

Hard to get through this way to tend the tomatoes by the sweet potatoes. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden13

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden14

When I get rid of this stupid head cold, I have a lot of work waiting, including starting seedlings of winter crops.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/12/2017, 7:53 am

Sanderson, I love your amazing edible "jungle".  Fantastic!

hyper happy banana way to go
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/12/2017, 11:11 am

cheers I am soooo jealous! Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/12/2017, 12:20 pm

+1
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/12/2017, 1:07 pm

Holey cow, Sanderson! Shocked Those plants sure do love all that their mommy does for them!!! I love you
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2017, 3:22 pm

Thank you, folks. It's looks like a mess and some of you have such good looking gardens, I was hesitant to post these.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/22/2017, 11:12 am

Rethinking my fall/winter garden. I went to OSH yesterday (Orchard Supply -- a Sears company with a fabulous garden dept.) They had beautiful fall veggie plants, which I couldn't resist. They were pricey, but put my little seed starts to shame. Now I'm thinking I should have planted my seeds much earlier in the house . . . or . . . maybe it just doesn't matter and mine will catch up in a month and I could have saved my money.  geek Time will tell. What say yee all? thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/22/2017, 8:00 pm

I agree that OSH is a great place to browse the garden department.  Well, actually any department. Very Happy Talk about being behind on the starts, that's me.  Normally I would start the broccoli, bok choy, chard, etc. Sept 1, to plant out Oct 1.  Well, I just finished planting the seeds in their pony packs this morning.   Embarassed Three weeks late.

I've been sick for almost 2 weeks, now, starting the day after we returned from the Exposition and mini-vacation. I hope I can write more now that I am getting better.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/22/2017, 10:33 pm

Sanderson - you can always try growing your sweet potato vines vertically.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Sweet_11

You do have a very nice looking jungle there in your backyard.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/23/2017, 1:02 am

sanderson wrote:
I've been sick for almost 2 weeks, now, starting the day after we returned from the Exposition and mini-vacation.  I hope I can write more now that I am getting better.
I'm sorry you've been sick, but glad you're on the mend, now. 

Katie went back to OSH for me today, and bought some more plants. I've planted seeds for everything she bought, so this will be a real experiment to see where they all are in a month. I'm thinking plants may be smart in the spring, to get an early start, but may not be as smart in the fall, when harvesting is so far out. The problem is - - - I JUST CAN'T HELP IT! I'm weak! Sad Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/23/2017, 7:25 am

sanderson wrote:...

I've been sick for almost 2 weeks, now, starting the day after we returned from the Exposition and mini-vacation.  I hope I can write more now that I am getting better.
Glad to hear you are getting better.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2017, 3:28 am

Ken helped me tidy up the main area of the beds. I can't wait to post photos of the improvements, probably Wednesday. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/27/2017, 11:45 am

sanderson wrote:Ken helped me tidy up the main area of the beds.  I can't wait to post photos of the improvements, probably Wednesday. Very Happy
It's Wednesday. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/27/2017, 1:24 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:Ken helped me tidy up the main area of the beds.  I can't wait to post photos of the improvements, probably Wednesday. Very Happy
It's Wednesday. bounce
+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2017, 1:52 pm

Razz  He is en route to pick up the wood chips!
Here is a teaser: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden15

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/27/2017, 3:00 pm

sanderson wrote:Razz  He is en route to pick up the wood chips!
Here is a teaser: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden15
So, the wood chips are for the paths?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2017, 4:43 pm

Wink

Teaser #2: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden16

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/27/2017, 4:45 pm

sanderson wrote:Wink

Teaser #2: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden16
Is this gonna go on all day? California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/27/2017, 6:18 pm

Looks like a cardboard-sheeting weed block to me (without the wood chip overlay). It's a good weed blocker, but it's slippery under foot if you haven't put enough mulch/chips on top.  I've used old outdoor carpet pieces with sheets of newspaper beneath them to keep weeds out of beds that I have "sitting it out" this season.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2017, 7:34 pm

Twisted Evil

Teaser #3: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden17

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/27/2017, 8:07 pm

sanderson wrote: Twisted Evil

Teaser #3: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden17
What's growing in that bed?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2017, 9:11 pm

Finally finished with the project. Shocked  I strongly recommend that isles between the beds be heavily mulched.  Plop a bed down on the lawn and in time the grass and weed seeds will find their way into the beds.  Even for table tops like mine, over time the grass in the isles will be trod down to dirt which makes a muddy mess and allows weeds to grow.  Being a garden hoarder  Embarassed I had a lot of cardboard (and an old rug runner) to spread on the isles to start killing the weeds and runaway grass.

For those with eagle eyes, you may notice a food can with both ends removed.  There are two pop-up lawn sprinklers that I surrounded with the cans.  Even though the heads are turn off, they still pop up and I didn't want the wood chips to get into the unit and prevent them from popping back down when the water goes off.  I will spray paint them later.

View A - Before, weeded, commercial weed fabric and wood chips. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden18

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden21

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden20

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden19

View B:  The keyhole area. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden22

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden23

View C: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden26

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden25

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Garden24

Last edited by sanderson on 9/27/2017, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/27/2017, 9:17 pm

Very nice.
   California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 3170584802
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 22  Next