Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cucumber dilemma Toplef10Cucumber dilemma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cucumber dilemma I22gcj10Cucumber dilemma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cucumber dilemma Toplef10Cucumber dilemma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cucumber dilemma I22gcj10Cucumber dilemma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cucumber dilemma

+4
Scorpio Rising
Abiqua Ike
CapeCoddess
hammock gal
8 posters

Go down

Cucumber dilemma Empty Cucumber dilemma

Post  hammock gal 8/2/2017, 2:45 pm

I picked two nice little cukes yesterday, had one in my salad yesterday evening, and saved the other for my salad today. When I went to slice it, it had become "flabby." So I guess I discovered why they wax them! Short of waxing them, is there any other way to keep them from going soft? Would it help if I stored it with the stem side in some water?
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Cucumber dilemma Empty Re: Cucumber dilemma

Post  CapeCoddess 8/2/2017, 3:10 pm

Flabby, huh?  Laughing  Even though I know exactly what you mean, I've never picked 2 at once...don't think I've ever had 2 GROWING at once.  Rolling Eyes  But my best guess is put them in the veggie crisper bin in the fridge?  I don't think they lose flavor in the fridge like maters do. I don't know about putting them in water. If you try it, let us know what happens.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 8/2/2017, 3:12 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Flabby, huh?  Laughing  Even though I know exactly what you mean, I've never picked 2 at once...don't think I've ever had 2 GROWING at once.  Rolling Eyes  But my best guess is put them in the veggie crisper bin in the fridge?  I don't think they lose flavor in the fridge like maters do.  I don't know about putting them in water.  If you try it,  let us know what happens.

Will do, I'll let you know! Very Happy
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  Abiqua Ike 8/2/2017, 6:34 pm

I've been picking cucumbers steadily for a couple weeks now. They seem to keep just fine on the counter for a few days. Were the ones you picked really small and tender? If they were immature they might dry out quickly.

On another cucumber note: I'm one of those that thinks cucumbers are grown mainly for texture and non-bitter taste. Mrs Ike, however, thinks what I've been growing lack flavor. Does anyone have recommendations about better flavored cultivars? This year I'm growing Straight Eight and Marketmore. What about the potato looking types?
Abiqua Ike
Abiqua Ike

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2017, 7:04 pm

Abiqua Ike wrote:I've been picking cucumbers steadily for a couple weeks now. They seem to keep just fine on the counter for a few days. Were the ones you picked really small and tender? If they were immature they might dry out quickly.

On another cucumber note: I'm one of those that thinks cucumbers are grown mainly for texture and non-bitter taste. Mrs Ike, however, thinks what I've been growing lack flavor. Does anyone have recommendations about better flavored cultivars? This year I'm growing Straight Eight and Marketmore. What about the potato looking types?
Yes, the thinner skinned (i.e., non-grocery store types) need to be in a plastic baggie in the crisper.  

I have grown both of the ones you grow this year;  I have truly come to cherish Beit Alpha and I am growing Indian Dance for the first time this year....Beit Alpha is A-MAZ-ING taste and texture, not a pickler, an eater.  Really thin skin, very cool and delish.  Will keep you posted on Indian Dance!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Abiqua Ike 8/2/2017, 7:34 pm

I've heard good things about Beit Alpha, an Israeli development if I recall.
Abiqua Ike
Abiqua Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2017, 7:38 pm

Abiqua Ike wrote:I've heard good things about Beit Alpha, an Israeli development if I recall.
Exactly.  The best cucumber I have ever eaten.  Hands down.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 8/2/2017, 9:51 pm

I've got my marketmores stored in the crisper. They seem to do just fine with minimal flavor loss and retain their crispness even after 2-3 days.
Fiz
Fiz

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 8/3/2017, 8:12 am

Abiqua Ike Yesterday at 6:34 pm
"I've been picking cucumbers steadily for a couple weeks now. They seem to keep just fine on the counter for a few days. Were the ones you picked really small and tender? If they were immature they might dry out quickly."

AI, yes the ones I picked were about 5-6 inches long, the recommended picking size for this variety.

Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:04 pm
"Yes, the thinner skinned (i.e., non-grocery store types) need to be in a plastic baggie in the crisper. 

I have grown both of the ones you grow this year;  I have truly come to cherish Beit Alpha and I am growing Indian Dance for the first time this year....Beit Alpha is A-MAZ-ING taste and texture, not a pickler, an eater.  Really thin skin, very cool and delish.  Will keep you posted on Indian Dance!"

SR, crisper, plastic baggie...noted. Beit Alpha added to my long list of things to try next year.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by hammock gal on 8/3/2017, 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/3/2017, 12:05 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Abiqua Ike wrote:I've heard good things about Beit Alpha, an Israeli development if I recall.
Exactly.  The best cucumber I have ever eaten.  Hands down.

Is it possible not a hybrid so you could save seeds?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/3/2017, 12:33 pm

I just did a quick google search on Beit Alpha cukes. I found throo places carrying them~ Baker seed so presumably OP, Pinetree states it is a F1 hybrid, Stokes says they are a hybrid and gynoecious (don't need a pollinator and are seedless), and Reimer has an OP. All this suggests to me that Beit Alpha is a type of cucumber, not a specific variety, sort of like Beefsteak or Cherry are in the tomato world.
Scorpio Rising, Do you have a tag or seed packet to tell us more about the plants you are growing? Curious minds want to know Very Happy

I think I at last have a Diva cucumber fruit growing. Fingers crossed.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Abiqua Ike 8/3/2017, 2:21 pm

I've been doing a little web searching for Mrs. Ike's "more flavorful" cucumber. Beit Alpha looks awesome but I think it is going in the wrong direction for that flavor she is searching for (or has me searching). I think I want to try something a little different.

Cucumbers are originally from India so are there popular Indian heirlooms? I found Poona Kheera which is yellow skin at the early stage and like a bronze potato when ripe. Descriptions of flavor and productivity sound promising. Has anyone tried these or other exotic types?
Abiqua Ike
Abiqua Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 8/4/2017, 8:41 am

Turan wrote: gynoecious (don't need a pollinator and are seedless).

Not to be nitpicky, but I don't want people confusing terms and get a surprise with their vareity, gynoecious just means all female flowers. The "gyno" prefix is for female, it's in a couple other words too if it helps you remember.  The other term is parthenocarpic, which means it doesn't need a pollinator.  Not all gynoecious varieties are parthenocarpic, which means they need male cucumber flowers nearby to produce fruit and be pollinated!  A lot of time with a variety that is not parthenocarpic but gynoecious, the seed company will mix in 10% of another variety that produces both male and female flowera in with the seeds to act as a pollinators variety.

This work a well if you plant a lot of the seeds and have a lot of plants, but if you only have 1 or 2, it's entirely possible you don't have any male flowers and it will be a problem! It's also possible you end up by chance only planting the pollinators vareity,  and then you don't have any of the variety you actually wanted to grow!  

I have decided if I ever plant such a gynoecious variety, I will plant it along side something like straight 8, which has both male and female flowers, and will act as my pollinator vareity.  Just to be sure Smile
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/4/2017, 11:42 am

Thanks Robbomb, I appreciate the correction and explanation.

Useful article about growing beit alpha varieties in greenhouses, these varieties are parthenocarpic. http://cfgrower.com/success-with-beit-alpha-cucumbers/

It turns out that Diva is a Beit Alpha type. I know it is gynoecious and supposedly parthenocarpic, but I wonder if my lack of fruits developing is because it is not really parthenocarpic. I planted a pickling cucumber as well thinking that would supply male flowers if needed, but it truly is gynoecious and parthenocarpic, neither of which was on the label.

We really liked the taste of the Diva cucumbers we had that one year. Most cucumbers are pretty flavorless.

Gardening surely is a wonderful biology class Laughing

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Abiqua Ike 8/4/2017, 12:12 pm

This has been a very educational thread!

I am already planning on how I can work in more cucumber obelisk tubs.

It occurs to me that the Gynoecious and Parthenocarpic traits are trying for "seedlessness" as well as increased productivity. If someone wants that "seedless" quality they need to be sure to get a variety that is truly both G and P. They also need to be sure NOT to plant any variety that has male flowers. They want to prevent viable seeds and only get those "ghost seeds".

This helps me realize that my diverse cucumber planting would probably cause any "seedless" varieties I planted to be more seedy.
Abiqua Ike
Abiqua Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 8/4/2017, 6:41 pm

I'm here to report on the two cukes placed in a zip loc baggie in the crisper drawer. When I took them out today, there was a lot of condensation in the baggie, so apparently the cukes lose moisture quickly through their skin. But the baggie and being in the crisper drawer kept them crisp! So thanks for your help in solving this dilemma.
thanks
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 8/5/2017, 2:09 pm

WOW! You guys have me fascinated with this. I have always grown MarketMore, and Straight Eight. I have heard male and female cuc flowers being mentioned here but never really thought about it. Looks like I need to check this out.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down