Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/9/2018, 10:32 pm

plantoid wrote:I've been eating superb red rosy cherry tomatoes that as so sweet they are akin to eating sugar strand dessert grapes . We must have 2 pounds of these ripe toms in a bowl and 4 pounds green toms laid out on a large tray in the kitchen 

I've cleared the last of the outdoor tom plants & harvested our grape vines as Sunday ( 7 Oct )  morning saw us get our first light overnight air frost .
Sounds amazing! 

I planted 3 seedless Concord grape vines this spring..cannot wait ’til they bear!  YUM

Do you make jam?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  plantoid 10/11/2018, 4:40 pm

I have to be careful with too much sugar etc as I'm a type two diabetic ( 240 pounds & 5' 10" ).

I've not made grape jam, our main vine is only just 8 yrs old and  starting to produce about six pounds of very sweet black full of seeds grapes . 
The other two vines are four years old and haven't yet produced anything other than loads of leaves ( which you can make a delicious hock style country wine from ).

In the long dim & distant past we used to make annual 30 pound batches of strawberry , Victoria plum and damsons jams along with 10 pounds or so of Rhubarb & Ginger , Date & Apple & occasionally a small batch of goose-gog jam (aka  gooseberry jam  Wink

This year I have used a few ounces over 2 pounds of the ripe cherry tomatoes  to make almost 7 x 160 ml of tomato jelly jam ( full of herbs too )  it's  for using in place of mint sauce on hot or cold meats . 
It tasted very good on hot toast that was lightly buttered, then very thinly coated in the jam & finally covered in thinly sliced up cheese.  It didn't do much for the diabetes but did trigger some nice memorable taste bud events .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/11/2018, 9:43 pm

Sounds wonderful!  Making my mouth water...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/4/2018, 10:53 am

Tomatoes for breakfast
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/4/2018, 1:01 pm

Today it will be pasta with home made pasta sauce, and baked Acorn Squash. Getting into the winter mode...

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Acorns10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4518

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/4/2018, 1:35 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Today it will be pasta with home made pasta sauce, and baked Acorn Squash. Getting into the winter mode...

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Acorns10
OG, how many acorn squash plants did you have, and how was the yield?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/4/2018, 1:36 pm

I am making crock pot chicken stroganoff with one of my neighbors last gifted onions.  And it calls for zucchini noodles, so I am contemplating a zucchini plant next year, I will see how I feel about that after the recipe!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/4/2018, 1:46 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:OG, how many acorn squash plants did you have, and how was the yield?

We had 2 plants. One plant had 5 squash, and the other plant had 6.  The squash plants - 3 Butternut, 2 Summer Crookneck, 1 Zucchini, and 2 Acorn - keep the Mason Bees very busy. Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/4/2018, 2:19 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I am making crock pot chicken stroganoff with one of my neighbors last gifted onions.  And it calls for zucchini noodles, so I am contemplating a zucchini plant next year, I will see how I feel about that after the recipe!

Let us know how it goes, SR. If it is good, we might like trying that recipe.

Yesterday, we made a crockpot of chili with everything in it except for the chili powder and diced beef coming from the garden. Was it delicious!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Crockp10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 11/4/2018, 2:46 pm

Green Gordita!
Using my green Oaxacan green dent corn, I made a Gordita, a thick type of tortilla that I layered with a tab of butter, Monterey Jack cheese, and my homemade green tomatillo hot sauce.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 34 Green_10
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/5/2018, 3:46 pm

hungry

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/5/2018, 6:52 pm

All sounds so yummy!  

OG, the recipe is a keeper.  There is a learning curve with the zoodles.  They are wet-ish.  So I think I would either start way earlier and lay them out to dry them a bit, or mildly stir-fry them.  Lots of liquid, especially on my re-heat today for leftovers.  The Vegetti device worked great!  Easy, safe.  

Here is the recipe I used:  I doubled it.  

http://www.hungry-girl.com/weekly-recipes/chicken-stroganoff

It is delish, just swimming, especially upon the leftover phase.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/7/2018, 5:35 pm

Made potato leek soup with leeks and garlic from the SFG.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/10/2018, 4:40 pm

Kohlrabi! I will definitely grow it again.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/11/2018, 12:23 am

It's good to hear that you got something from the garden, CN.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/14/2018, 12:33 pm

Kale, collards, mustard greens, chard (I had to harvest samplings of all these as we are heading for a freeze tonight) and counter ripened tomatoes and ground cherries. 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/14/2018, 5:04 pm

Today we are eating one half of the last acorn squash. Probably will eat the other half tomorrow. These acorn squash were great and will definitely be on my list of things to grow next year.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/20/2018, 4:51 pm

Cuke cubes in my morning smoothies.
Very Happy
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/20/2018, 5:06 pm

Lady cowpeas.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/20/2018, 6:29 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Today we are eating one half of the last acorn squash. Probably will eat the other half tomorrow. These acorn squash were great and will definitely be on my list of things to grow next year.

Bet you'll miss those sweet Acorn squash until next year's crop, eh?  We still have 8 of them in storage, which will last us most of the winter, along with the Butternut, Baby Hubbard, and Red Kuri.  The Red Kuri is rapidly becoming our favorite winter squash, both for taste and for keeping ability.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/20/2018, 6:53 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:Today we are eating one half of the last acorn squash. Probably will eat the other half tomorrow. These acorn squash were great and will definitely be on my list of things to grow next year.

Bet you'll miss those sweet Acorn squash until next year's crop, eh?  We still have 8 of them in storage, which will last us most of the winter, along with the Butternut, Baby Hubbard, and Red Kuri.  The Red Kuri is rapidly becoming our favorite winter squash, both for taste and for keeping ability.
I too am getting down to my last 4 Delicata.  Red Kurt?  Why is it your favorite, OG?  Taste is like what?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/20/2018, 7:31 pm

SR - The Red Kuri are like a smaller version of the Blue Hubbard, but with a sweeter and and smoother flesh. They set more fruit on each plant than the Hubbard do. A number of years ago a local grocery store was giving away their "decorative gourd" display, and we picked up a Blue Hubbard to take home. The guy that was trying to get rid of them, pulled out these two orange looking squash, and said they would go good with the "big gourd", and we decided to take them. After a little research we discovered they were Red Kuri squash. We liked them so much that the next year we bought seeds for them, and have been growing them ever since.

If you like winter squash, such as Butternut, you'll love the Red Kuri.

https://www.rareseeds.com/red-kuri-squa-hokkaido-/

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/23/2018, 6:48 pm

Microgreens with home grown tomatoes on Wed.

Green Beans and Lady Cowpeas and corn (frozen) on Thur.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/25/2018, 7:44 am

Yesterday was a good day for some winter-weather comfort food, so we made a crockpot full of potato soup. This summer's gardens provided a lot of the ingredients - Onion, garlic, parsley, potatoes - and it was delicious.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/25/2018, 6:47 pm

OhioGardener wrote:SR - The Red Kuri are like a smaller version of the Blue Hubbard, but with a sweeter and and smoother flesh. They set more fruit on each plant than the Hubbard do. A number of years ago a local grocery store was giving away their "decorative gourd" display, and we picked up a Blue Hubbard to take home. The guy that was trying to get rid of them, pulled out these two orange looking squash, and said they would go good with the "big gourd", and we decided to take them. After a little research we discovered they were Red Kuri squash. We liked them so much that the next year we bought seeds for them, and have been growing them ever since.

If you like winter squash, such as Butternut, you'll love the Red Kuri.

https://www.rareseeds.com/red-kuri-squa-hokkaido-/
Nice!  Do you have to peel them to eat the flesh?  I am so loving my winter squash!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next