Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  OhioGardener 11/25/2018, 6:56 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice!  Do you have to peel them to eat the flesh?  I am so loving my winter squash!

Yes, or as we do it, we just cut them in serving size pieces and bake them, then scoop the flesh off of the skin as it is eaten. They seem to have more flavor when baked with the skin than they do skinned, but that might just be me.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4470

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  plantoid 11/25/2018, 7:28 pm

3/4 inch dia leeks x 2 in a light white cheese sauce browned off in the oven along side the roast chicken , 1/3 of a " small " carrot  Smile  between the three of us and 1/5 of a pointed primo summer cabbage  that was  buttered & well peppered after being cooked for 6 min in boiling salted water. 

We still have a dozen or so of the cabbages that are still growing nicely in the shade of the bungalow despite them getting a minus six oC  frosting for a few hours a couple of days ago .

The carrots are phenomenal , hard as rocks , 10 or more inches long , 3 inches at the crown and not a bug bite or hint of multiple roots . Thank goodness my MM beds are now 7 yrs or so matured and 36 inches deep , they are giving a good account of themselves .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2018, 11:28 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/29/2018, 5:47 pm

Had a big carrot from the over wintering " Fly Away brand carrot " bed this evening .
They are not supposed to be rady till late December but I noticed the strong fronds and a 3 inch crown earlier today.

So it sort of self selected itself to get pulled and used  it was almost a foot long massive indeed .  It made some lovely coarse grated carrot to have inside our chicken, raw onion  and salad wraps .

Now I've got to decide if I am going to soup the remaining seven inches up to the crown tomorrow in a chicken stock base that I've  made tonight .

Or
To turn some of it into carrots baton to have with a pork & beef sausage " Toad in the hole " evening meal tomorrow night  with a few spoons of the still useable frosted pointed summer greyhound or primo cabbage(  also out the garden tomorrow ). 

Then eat the rest of it on Saturday evening at tea time .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/29/2018, 9:22 pm

Nice, plantoid!  Sounds great, wish I hadn’t screwed up my carrots...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Empty Ginger Cookies!

Post  littlejo 12/3/2018, 12:22 pm

It got cold, so I realized my ginger was not going to bloom, so I dug about a week ago and made ginger cookies. They are soft and so good!

Be careful where you plant, because DEER love ginger plants. I planted in my sfg near the fence. They ate them off to the ground in June!
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2018, 3:24 pm

Littlejo, I must research ginger.  Mine never bloomed and is starting to look peaked as the weather gets colder.  Would you suggest I empty this pot and see whats in there, root-wise? Taken Nov 25. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Ginger11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 12/5/2018, 2:57 pm

Sanderson, I would go ahead and dump and see what you have. It takes about 10 months for them to bloom. With the deer eating them off, they had put up the bloom pods but did not open before it got cold. I had them in sfg in a 2 x 2. I got about 5 lbs. from 1 root from grocery store. They stop growing when they lose their green color. I've started some in a pot so I can get them in ground early.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/5/2018, 4:36 pm

Thank you! I will dump and post the results under the Ginger thread.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/6/2018, 6:45 am

Delicata squash bake with brown sugar and maple syrup—YUM!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/10/2018, 5:32 pm

We had two deep frozen thin slices of raw chicken breast coated in some herbs and yellow cornflake dust defrosting  in the fridge between two plates .
 Trouble is they were supposed to have been used for Saturday's evening meal  so by tonight they were a bit dry  . 
Rather than bin them Alison used them in a home made curry,   a fantastic mild rich yellow curry that I'm still drooling over . 

One of the ingredients in her home made " Out of her mind "  curry was the remaining 1/4 of a big carrot out one of the  ANSFG beds that she'd finely diced into 1/4 inch cubes  then fried in a spot of butter in the onion pan to soften & sweeten it .  By the time the curry was made the diced carrot has almost but not fully disappeared into the curry . 

Not something she's done before,  but due to all three of us enjoying it  , she say's it will be something she'll be repeating .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/10/2018, 6:01 pm

Sounds delicious!  I love curry!

For us, it's fried green tomatoes.  I tried both seasoned bread crumbs and a cornmeal/GF flour from Bob's Red Mill.   The cornmeal allowed longer cooking and a better flavor.  Final tomato harvest as there was no hope for them to ripen indoors or outdoors.  Shelled peas for tonight. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Tomato16

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/12/2018, 4:07 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Delicata squash bake with brown sugar and maple syrup—YUM!!!!
drooling
Lucky you!  I didn't really get any this year.  The couple of tiny ones were bug eaten by the time I saw them.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/12/2018, 7:24 pm

sanderson wrote:Sounds delicious!  I love curry!

For us, it's fried green tomatoes.  I tried both seasoned bread crumbs and a cornmeal/GF flour from Bob's Red Mill.   The cornmeal allowed longer cooking and a better flavor.  Final tomato harvest as there was no hope for them to ripen indoors or outdoors.  Shelled peas for tonight.  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 35 Tomato16

Put your unripe tomatoes in a drawer on tissue with a banana on a plate . The natural  gas given off the bananas will turn them red & the gas given off the tomatoes will ripen the banana to almost black . ( that's why it's wise to put the nana on a plate .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/12/2018, 7:24 pm

My Delicata plants eventually succumbed to the dreaded SVB, but they were pretty tough.  I got 6 out of 2 plants, CC.

Plantoid, that curry sounds amazing! 

sanderson, I love fried green maters, I use corn meal and spices as well, and usually canola so I can get the temp up a bit!  

Tonight, I have a few small Yukon Gold taters along side Hillshire Farms Chicken garlic sausage!!!

drooling
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/13/2018, 3:02 pm

Plantoid, Many of them are getting black spots so I have to toss them. They wouldn't survive ripening in the kitchen. Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/15/2018, 5:43 pm

A big salad.  Microgreens from my microgreen growing station.  Lettuce from my aerogarden.  My last tomato from my garden.  And carrots and cucumbers from the grocery store.  Yum, Yum.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 12/16/2018, 12:11 pm

I just pulled the last of the tomatoes that the I left on the vines. I usually take them off and let them slowly ripen in a shoe box in the garage, but I thought that this year I'd leave them on as long as possible and see what they would do. The birds were starting to peck at them, so I decided to harvest them and see. They had a tough skin,but the flavor was so intense I wish the whole crop tasted that way all year. I am also pulling leaves from the tree kale I planted in a container but never got around to planting it in a bed. It escaped and is taking over the walkways, and has managed to find it's way into a bed anyway. The carrots and parsnips are perfect for roasting, along with some garlic and onions- my kind of winter comfort food!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/16/2018, 12:54 pm

Yesterday...…. crops from our ANSFG beds .
I used two 3/4 inch thick leeks with most of the greenery still on ,  two small carrots ( 68 grams peeled),  one small  still useable pointed yellow summer cabbage ( 102 grams after prepping ) one big clove of garlic 
finely diced .

Then the purchased stuff.  two small red onions 120 grams , two sticks of celery 68 grams some dried thyme and rosemary heaped teaspoon of each,   to make a quality Italian style  minestrone soup but instead of putting pasta shapes in it I slipped in 75 grams of Orzo pasta grains instead 

All veg were cut fine or diced fine , oiled with two dessert spoons of virgin olive oil then save for the cabbage soup'ed it in the electric pressure cooker with 1 & 1/2 pints of March's home canned chicken stock and a level teaspoon of polish seasoning salt .

When it was soup'ed 15 min later & de- pressurised  I added the cabbage and a can 340 gram of drained off butter beans as we didn't have any Cannelloni Beans,   gave it another 10 min in the open pan and stirred it a couple of times .

Result after adding a twist of black pepper and a twist of salt to mine .. absolutely delicious .

Had some for lunch today too and will be having it tomorrow as well till it's all used as it made enough for eight .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/16/2018, 2:36 pm

In the oven right now, Unstuffed Pepper casserole with a ton of peppers from a frozen state.  YUM!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/19/2018, 6:05 pm

As part of tonight's dinner I cooked up some SFG grown Canada Crookneck Squash in the air fryer. WOW was it good!!!

Sanderson is to "blame" for getting me hooked on growing Canada Crooknecks and I am glad she did.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/21/2018, 3:03 pm

TD, I'm happy to lead you down the path of addiction! Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/27/2018, 12:56 pm

Trying to get rid of some of this holiday weight gain with 'cucumber cube' smoothies. 
(End of summer I cut and froze a bunch of cukes - 2 1-gallon bags full!)
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/27/2018, 9:19 pm

My last 3 Yukon Gold potatoes and part of a Delicata squash and some garden garlic, store bought onion, in a frittata!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/29/2018, 1:05 pm

Kohlrabi! Raw -- fresh out of the Salad Bar (garden) this morning. WOW! Sweet! Crisp! Note to Self: plant kohlrabi in the fall, when summer crops are finished. Send nice Christmas gift to Mother Nature to put her in a good mood. Harvest in late December -- early January, after just a little light frost. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next