Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 Toplef10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 I22gcj10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 Toplef10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 I22gcj10Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Spring Fever Anyone?

+16
brianj555
CitizenKate
reynajrainwater
donnainzone5
Robbomb116
Zmoore
plantoid
BeetlesPerSqFt
MrBooker
runsamok
sanderson
trolleydriver
Ginger Blue
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
newbeone
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 Empty Re: Spring Fever Anyone?

Post  countrynaturals 12/21/2017, 5:22 pm

Lookin' good, Brian. Are you growing peas now? My sugar snaps are almost ready for snacking. Cool (Should have planted more, sooner. Embarassed)

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 Peas510
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/21/2017, 7:34 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Lookin' good, Brian. Are you growing peas now? My sugar snaps are almost ready for snacking. Cool (Should have planted more, sooner. Embarassed)

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 Peas510
Those are looking good.  According to My zone/frost dates and the book I shouldn’t put them out until like 1/25.  That’s 5 weeks before the last frost date.  Can they go out earlier than that?
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/22/2017, 9:03 am

ThatsMeJenniG wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

On the other hand - I'm NOT ready for spring yet!  hiding There's still landscape beds to clear, raised beds to top off, more seeds to be ordered, tulle to be purchased and sewn, pots to sort and clean, bumblebee nests to make, and my to-do-calendar document to revise. I start my onions and leeks from seed at the start of February. I won't be starting tomatoes until March.
Beetles,
What sort of shape and size do you sew your tulle into and what all do you use it on?  And, what sort of bumblebee nests do you make and with what do you make them?  

I'm itching to start some seeds and some side projects might help to curb my enthusiasm Wink
Sorry - I missed seeing this! (I've got a program that progressively autodims the blue light coming from my laptop display as the evening wears on. That means mean I'm trying to browse the forum too late at night I can't see the difference between the blue/navy threads I've read and the black ones I haven't.)

I sew two 12ft long by 60" wide rectangles of tulle together to get a bigger 12ft x 10ft rectangle. The width should be listed on the label that's on the top end of the bolt of fabric at the store. 12x10ft is just big enough to go over one of my covered wagon style hoop structures on a 4x4 bed: One hoop at each end, and a third parallel to the others across the middle, plus a 4ft piece going crosswise. I used to attach this with a bolt, but I'm moving towards T-connectors, I just need to figure how to keep them from slipping down. The PVC pieces forming the hoops are 10ft (so once the ends are below the edge of the raised bed I have a few inches of tulle overlapping the bed so I can put binder clips on it to hold it down.) The height of the hoops ends up being about 4ft - so 4ft up, 4ft across the bed, and 4ft down is 12ft. I do end up with extra flaps of fabric that I just sort of fold over. Some people make doors at the ends, but I haven't tried that yet.

Bumblebee nests: I haven't made one before. Until part way through this past growing season I had a neighbor with honey bees. I didn't want to encourage a situation where the bumbles would be competing with the honey bees and possible catching diseases/pests from them. But the neighbor moved, so I can now encourage native bees. (I love hearing those bumbles buzz pollinate my eggplants!) I'm thinking of making pot-type nests like this:
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-make-a-bumblebee-nest/
Here's more:
http://www.bumblebee.org/nestbox_plans.htm
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatsMeJenniG 12/22/2017, 9:11 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
ThatsMeJenniG wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

On the other hand - I'm NOT ready for spring yet!  hiding There's still landscape beds to clear, raised beds to top off, more seeds to be ordered, tulle to be purchased and sewn, pots to sort and clean, bumblebee nests to make, and my to-do-calendar document to revise. I start my onions and leeks from seed at the start of February. I won't be starting tomatoes until March.
Beetles,
What sort of shape and size do you sew your tulle into and what all do you use it on?  And, what sort of bumblebee nests do you make and with what do you make them?  

I'm itching to start some seeds and some side projects might help to curb my enthusiasm Wink
Sorry - I missed seeing this! (I've got a program that progressively autodims the blue light coming from my laptop display as the evening wears on. That means mean I'm trying to browse the forum too late at night I can't see the difference between the blue/navy threads I've read and the black ones I haven't.)

I sew two 12ft long by 60" wide rectangles of tulle together to get a bigger 12ft x 10ft rectangle. The width should be listed on the label that's on the top end of the bolt of fabric at the store. 12x10ft is just big enough to go over one of my covered wagon style hoop structures on a 4x4 bed: One hoop at each end, and a third parallel to the others across the middle, plus a 4ft piece going crosswise. I used to attach this with a bolt, but I'm moving towards T-connectors, I just need to figure how to keep them from slipping down. The PVC pieces forming the hoops are 10ft (so once the ends are below the edge of the raised bed I have a few inches of tulle overlapping the bed so I can put binder clips on it to hold it down.) The height of the hoops ends up being about 4ft - so 4ft up, 4ft across the bed, and 4ft down is 12ft. I do end up with extra flaps of fabric that I just sort of fold over. Some people make doors at the ends, but I haven't tried that yet.

Bumblebee nests: I haven't made one before. Until part way through this past growing season I had a neighbor with honey bees. I didn't want to encourage a situation where the bumbles would be competing with the honey bees and possible catching diseases/pests from them. But the neighbor moved, so I can now encourage native bees. (I love hearing those bumbles buzz pollinate my eggplants!) I'm thinking of making pot-type nests like this:
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-make-a-bumblebee-nest/
Here's more:
http://www.bumblebee.org/nestbox_plans.htm
That bumblebee nest is awesome, I was looking at the bamboo type on Amazon.  I might still have to go with the hanging version; I'm pretty confident our pup will think that I've built the bumble nest for her- although I do have some sections of Pex from our last reno project that look like they'd be the perfect length.
ThatsMeJenniG
ThatsMeJenniG

Female Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/28/2017, 6:01 pm

Bed # 2 ready for spring. Peas and onions will be the first to go out in a few weeks. 
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 A4558710
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 0094dd10
This bed has a mixture of about 1/3 homemade compost and 2/3 bought ( black kow, black hen, mushroom, cotton burr and natures own chicken.)
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/28/2017, 7:17 pm

Lookin’ good, Brian!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/30/2017, 1:59 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Lookin’ good, Brian!
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 1/3/2018, 7:19 pm

Got the South bed ready to go today vertical trellis with lines running to the fence are for peas and pole beans.
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 94dd5310
Horizontal 3 level trellis netting is for silver Queen Corn.
Going to do 3 x 4 (48 plants)
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 E6e36610
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 8fabb310
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/3/2018, 7:41 pm

NICE!!!!  Like the set-up!  I grew Silver Queen, delish, but don’t dawdle about getting it eaten, however you can eat it basically raw and it is like sugar!  Yum!  I also grew Country Genteman, shoepeg corn, very sweet but gotta eat it quick!  I was super poor and it was no prob, whatever we grew we were eating!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 1/3/2018, 8:26 pm

Yeah.  My wife loves Silver Queen Corn. We have a friend who has a lot of land and grows a bunch of it every year.  They vac seal and freeze it on the cob and it does come out pretty good if used within a few months.  Not as good as fresh obviously, but still very good.  I tried to grow some this spring, but the plants were poorly placed and weren’t all placed beside one another.  I only had 8 in one area and 8 on the opposite side of the bed.  Corn seems to be pretty challenging to grow, but I thought I would give it another shout.  I will have 6 rows of 8 inside 12 adjacent squares (3 x 4).  I read in a thread on here somewhere about planting a row each week and using the younger rows to lean over and tap to fertilize the row next to it that’s a week older.  I guess the pollen tassels are ready a little earlier than the silks that need to be fertilized  or something ????  I am putting the corn near the beans and peas on one side and the other side will be peppers for lack of a better companion on that side.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 1/4/2018, 8:09 pm

I got the North bed trellis’ up today. The cucumber ones running to the fence are done.  I got the tomato trellis’ up, but didn’t attach the netting yet.  I figured 6 weeks in the weather for no reason seemed a little silly.  I also still have some work to do with the mix I that bed. 
Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 Bed3ce10
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/5/2018, 2:43 am

Love your corn setup!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 1/5/2018, 11:32 am

sanderson wrote:Love your corn setup!

Thank you.  I got a variation of that idea from somewhere on here.  I have lots of trouble remembering where I found stuff or got ideas from.  I can never seem to find the threads again after time.  

I am a little concerned about my tomato trellis'.  They just didn't look that close together when planning.  My concern is that the ones on the farthest (West Side) will get too much shade.  That is why I made the trellis' taller as they go west,  I just hope it enough.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/5/2018, 12:56 pm

I think Yolos had a similar corn setup.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/5/2018, 8:24 pm

brianj555 wrote:Yeah.  My wife loves Silver Queen Corn. We have a friend who has a lot of land and grows a bunch of it every year.  They vac seal and freeze it on the cob and it does come out pretty good if used within a few months.  Not as good as fresh obviously, but still very good.  I tried to grow some this spring, but the plants were poorly placed and weren’t all placed beside one another.  I only had 8 in one area and 8 on the opposite side of the bed.  Corn seems to be pretty challenging to grow, but I thought I would give it another shout.  I will have 6 rows of 8 inside 12 adjacent squares (3 x 4).  I read in a thread on here somewhere about planting a row each week and using the younger rows to lean over and tap to fertilize the row next to it that’s a week older.  I guess the pollen tassels are ready a little earlier than the silks that need to be fertilized  or something ????  I am putting the corn near the beans and peas on one side and the other side will be peppers for lack of a better companion on that side.
If everything goes as it should (watering, heat, fertilization) then the silks will appear in time to be receptive when the pollen drops.  Unfortunately a lot of us untrained corn growers do not get every thing as it should be and the tassels drop the pollen before or after the silks are receptive.   So some of us plant staggered planting so we will be able to get some properly pollinated silks because we have pollen dropping at different times.  Also, I stagger my planting a week apart so that I will not have all my corn ready to harvest at the same time.  Last year I did 6 plantings of 3 ft x 4 ft.  Worked out pretty good but by the 6th week, we were quit tired of eating fresh corn on the cob twice a week for 6 weeks.

Does you friend blanch the corn on the cob before he vac seals and freezes it ???????????
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 1/5/2018, 9:01 pm

I’m not sure yolos.  I will find out their process and report back.  I boil it to cook it but I do know this, my wife wraps it in a wet paper towel and cooks it in the microwave for two minutes.  Maybe it has been blanched.  I will check.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/6/2018, 1:23 am

I'm thinking that corn, like many other veggies, would benefit from partially cooking (microwave or boiling) before freezing. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/9/2018, 8:12 pm

sanderson wrote:I'm thinking that corn, like many other veggies, would benefit from partially cooking (microwave or boiling) before freezing.  ??
That is what i did, blanched the corn on the cob for a couple minutes.  But when we reheated it the kernels were  mushy.  We like nice firm corn on the cob that is why I asked if it is blanched or not before freezing.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 Empty Spring Fever Anyone?

Post  newbeone 1/9/2018, 8:51 pm

I go along with sanderson I was always told you had to blanch corn before freezing or it would be mushy.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 1/18/2018, 9:49 am

Spring Fever Anyone? - Page 4 2eb23410
Rolling along.  Almost time.cheers
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/18/2018, 1:13 pm

Looking good, Brian. I thought I'd be able to play outside this morning, but the rain came in early, so I'll be planting seeds in the house, today. Gotta garden, one way or another. Razz Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 1/18/2018, 4:25 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Looking good, Brian. I thought I'd be able to play outside this morning, but the rain came in early, so I'll be planting seeds in the house, today. Gotta garden, one way or another. Razz Razz
I understand.  Weather is terrible here as well.  I’m just hoping it means good weather to come.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/19/2018, 3:06 pm

Nice, Brian. It looks like you raised the front light for the photo shoot, and otherwise have it right down near the seedling.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/22/2018, 5:37 am

spring fever is starting..... I've just ordered £ 95  ( $ 125 USD ) of seeds from a reliable big boy seed merchant .
 I've spent the last ten or so years buying  left over seeds from gardening centers at almost half price but this last two years has sen a big drop in quality with no end of packets  having become damp whilst in the shop & stuck together by the dampness .  Got a shock as the the change in prices & the latrest practice of the seed house ony butting 50 to 100 seeds in each packet whn five years ago there woud be 500 to 700 of the small seed.  tomato seeds were 250 in a packet now they're only 10 or less Sad

So it looks like I won't be storing many seeds in my seed bank racks  from now on unless I grow them myself .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/22/2018, 2:37 pm

Only 10 tomato seeds per pack!! That's scary because there aren't many seeds for backup starts.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4