Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Toplef10One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) I22gcj10One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Toplef10One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) I22gcj10One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA)

5 posters

Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA)

Post  gwynnguyz 4/6/2010, 9:58 pm

Greetings! ...and I was in Lowe's getting my latest supplies this afternoon! I'll bet I was a stones throw away from a SFG'er! I gave up on coarse vermiculite and ended up with medium from So. States, which looks pretty fine to me. Bought my peat moss at Lowes + a bunch of composted products, which I mixed with my own 'cold' compost to begin filling my bins. [I couldn't help but remember my son putting what he called a '$30' loaf of bread on the table - explaining that the $60 bread machine had so far made 2 loaves of bread! I was thinking I'd be eating $10 onions soon!] Seems I've spent a small fortune getting set up...
I used my compost tumbler to mix the products and that worked great - but the stuff I bought barely filled half of one bin! I have some plants that I really want to get into the ground soon! I've seen some great photos here already & am eager to see how SFG works out for me here...
gwynnguyz

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty spring fever hits hard

Post  SirTravers 4/6/2010, 10:06 pm

As soon as it warmed up here folks attacked the garden centers like crazy. It seems Lowes has a really good distribution network as they haven't run out of stuff like the other stores. I understand how ya feel about the $10 onions... I just look at it as a long term investment. Just one box at a time although it's temping to build 4 or 5 haha!
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA)

Post  gwynnguyz 4/7/2010, 8:11 am

Lowes was buzzin' for sure! There was a line at the peat moss!
I made two 4x12 beds! Maybe a bit too ambitious... https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3193&id=100000889323390&l=594895928eOne more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) AlbumOne more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Album

Last edited by gwynnguyz on 4/7/2010, 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : website link changed)
gwynnguyz

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty Nice Pics

Post  Cornerstone 4/7/2010, 12:51 pm

Welcome gwynnguyz,

Thanks for sharing the Pics! It does cost a bit to get started. All that you will have to do next year is add that home made compost.
Cornerstone
Cornerstone

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty Re: One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA)

Post  WardinWake 4/7/2010, 3:26 pm

gwynnguyz wrote:I'll bet I was a stones throw away from a SFG'er! ...

Howdy Gwynnguyz: I bet you were closer than you thought. I'm Ward and I work in the Gloucester Lowe's tool dept. And I was at work from 6AM to 2 PM today. I'm also a moderator on this forum and a 2nd year SFG'er. Most of my beds are now at table top (TT) height and I have planted strawberries, taters, maters, cauliflower, various salad greens, beets, onions and a few herbs. I will be planting the rest of the garden in the next few days.

What are you planning on planting? BTW if you need more vermiculite go to Green Planters Bursary in Gloucester Point. Better price than SS and they have the coarse grade of vermiculite. They also carry a fine grade so make sure you check the package. Over in Yorktown/Grafton the True Value Hardware store also carries coarse vermiculite. A couple of dollars more than Green Planters.

I will be in Lowe's the next few days so stop in and say high when you come in.

If you need compost VEPPSA in Yorktown has compost at $20.00 per pickup truck load and they load for you.

Ginnie, one of Lowe's cashiers is a square footer also.

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty Thanks for the info!

Post  gwynnguyz 4/7/2010, 9:22 pm

Gee, thanks Ward! I would never have found the vermiculite, I'll get down there asap. I got a load of Nutri-Green (Hampton Roads Sewage sludge) at a landscapers in Cobbs Creek, that will do me for a good while but I'll keep the VEPPSA in mind. I should probably know what VEPPSA is, but I don't! What is it?
My first bed is only half full but I was chomping at the bit so I planted broccoli, collards & romaine lettuce plants that I had, dug up & replanted garlic and onions that I planted elsewhere earlier, and then planted seeds of radishes, carrots, swiss chard and black-seeded simpson lettuce in the bed. Tomorrow I think I am going to get my main garden ready for some plants I started inside even though it seems a bit early: okra & cucumbers. maybe pole beans too. They germinated so much faster than I expected & the ground is pretty warm so I'll see what happens. But I still have lots of soil to make for my SFG so maybe that's how I'll occupy myself tomorrow. I have a Compost tumbler that worked great as a giant mixer!
Thanks for your help! Sue
gwynnguyz

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty Re: One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA)

Post  mckr3441 4/8/2010, 7:41 am

Welcome to the Forums, gwynnguyz One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) 61949
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty No coarse vermiculite

Post  gwynnguyz 4/8/2010, 12:47 pm

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Icon_sad Decided to call Greens before we rode down there and it's a good thing I did: they sold last 6 bags yesterday and don't know when they'll get more. Called True Value in Yorktown and they are expecting some tomorrow. Called True Values in Deltaville and Saluda and they didn't have it and hardly knew what I was talking about. (They did have 8 pound bags) So, I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings I guess... But thanks so much for your tips, Ward! It's as close as I have come to any!!! I really want to finish filling my bins and I would really like to try the coarse vermiculite.
gwynnguyz

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty More Vermiculite Disappointments

Post  gwynnguyz 4/9/2010, 11:14 pm

Called True Value in Grafton this afternoon but there was no coarse vermiculite in their shipment. Clerk said call 'Turf and Garden' across the road. Called and the guy said, "Yes, we have it!" In shock, I said, "Are you sure it's COARSE?" He said, 'Let me go check', came back and said "Yep, it is." I asked if her would put 3 bags aside for me. No need, he said - they'll be here when you get here. I told him it was a 45 minute drive, but I would get there asap! We jumped in the car and arrived in Grafton in exactly 45 minutes! We went to the counter, paid for the vermiculite which was up in a loft. As the guys were putting it in the car, I went to see the wonderful word, COARSE! No word, no where. I said, "How do you know this is coarse?" " Coarse?", the guy says, "I thought it was 'crushed' - it's all 'crushed'" I - Yi - Yi I could have killed him! He said "Oh, try the place right up the street - they'll have it" and of course they didn't; they had the same product Turf and Garden had for $16.95 for $32.95!!! On the way home in quiet desparation we stopped at every nursery on the way home. No luck. Finally a clerk asked if it was for SFG and when I replied yes, she said I'd just have to settle for medium - that's what everyone is buying... So, if that's the case, Turf and Garden was certainly the cheapest at $16.95 Maybe we'll go back tomorrow and get it there after all. A whole afternoon wasted... I - Yi - Yi! I am giving up!
I see there are Lowe's carrying 'Mel's Mix' in various places - not Gloucester yet?
gwynnguyz

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/10/2010, 6:14 am

gwynnguyz wrote: home in quiet desperation we stopped at every nursery on the way home. No luck. ... I - Yi - Yi! I am giving up!
I see there are Lowe's carrying 'Mel's Mix' in various places - not Gloucester yet?

Don't give up. If you just happen to be in Kilmarnock stop by GeoProducts located one block from the Kilmarnock DMV. About two weeks ago they had the coarse in stock. Their phone number is 800-448-4505 and the store is on Technology Park Drive.

Our local Lowe's is not on the trial sale at this thyme. I keep fuss'in but to no avail.

God Bless,

Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty Thanks, Ward!

Post  gwynnguyz 4/10/2010, 7:40 am

OK, another lead! I'll give it a try. How do you find out about all of these places??? Sue
gwynnguyz

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/10/2010, 10:00 am

gwynnguyz wrote:OK, another lead! I'll give it a try. How do you find out about all of these places??? Sue

Good Morning Sue:

Over the last two years I have been to most of the nurseries in the area and always on the lookout for vermiculite when I am out and about.

One more source that came to mind is this link to a manufacture of vermiculite. If you or anyone else in the SE U.S. will e-mail Phil with a request and your zip code he will reply with retail sources of his companies retailers in your area.www.palmettovermiculite.com e-Mail: phil@palmettovermiculite.com

BTW: There is a new searchable database that will be coming on line soon where sources of vermiculite can be found. As soon as it becomes active any registered user of the SFG forums will be able to list their sources for vermiculite as well as searching for sources in their areas.

God Bless, Ward.

web site: www.palmettovermiculite.com
e-Mail: phil@palmettovermiculite.com

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty Vermiculite Search

Post  gwynnguyz 4/11/2010, 10:42 am

I can't thank you enough, Ward! You certainly have kept me challenged and inspired! I now have a couple of leads that may develop something by mid-week. Also, I am going to Harrisonburg next weekend so I will continue my search over there!
I have half of one box planted and can't wait to finish! Thanks again! Sue
gwynnguyz

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/12/2010, 5:59 am

gwynnguyz wrote:I can't thank you enough, Ward! You certainly have kept me challenged and inspired! I now have a couple of leads that may develop something by mid-week. Also, I am going to Harrisonburg next weekend so I will continue my search over there!
I have half of one box planted and can't wait to finish! Thanks again! Sue

Good Morning Sue;

In Harrisonburg check with Rockingham Co-Op/Southern States, 101 W. Grace St. 540-434-3856. They have/had vermiculite at 28.00 per bag. A little on the high side of the prices so while in the area check around or see if they will bring the price down to where most other sellers have it.

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

One more newbie on the Middle Pennisula (VA) Empty Garden Show?

Post  gwynnguyz 4/12/2010, 8:14 am

I understand we are going to a 'Home and Garden' Show while we are in Harrisonburg. Maybe I'll get to speak to a lot of nursery operators, if I am lucky! Thanks again - Sue
gwynnguyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down