Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 Toplef10Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 I22gcj10Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 Toplef10Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 I22gcj10Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India

+6
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
rajmahendra
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 Empty Re: Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India

Post  rajmahendra 8/1/2016, 5:48 am

sanderson wrote:Raj,  Isn't the weather warm year around?
We have almost proper season.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyderabad_district,_India#Climate
December to March - Winter
April to June - Summer
Monsoon/Rainy - July to September
Autumn - October to November
rajmahendra
rajmahendra

Male Posts : 55

http://rajmahendra.in/

Back to top Go down

Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India - Page 2 Empty Re: Namasthe! from Hyderabad, Telangana, India

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/1/2016, 8:58 am

Very similar to what we have in the SE US!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2016, 1:38 pm

Looks like most rain July to September.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/1/2016, 2:36 pm

glad you\'re here Raj happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbia.
We have a shorter growing season than most of the United States and we get cold weather and snow as I expect you know that anyway.

Just a thought about your SFG beds on your roof.  A 4ft  x 4ft  complete with soil and watered, is very heavy, so make sure your roof is strong enough to support the number you want there.  I wonder if anyone has any idea how much that would weigh?

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  rajmahendra 8/17/2016, 7:51 am

Kelejan wrote:glad you\'re here Raj happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbia.
We have a shorter growing season than most of the United States and we get cold weather and snow as I expect you know that anyway.

Just a thought about your SFG beds on your roof.  A 4ft  x 4ft  complete with soil and watered, is very heavy, so make sure your roof is strong enough to support the number you want there.  I wonder if anyone has any idea how much that would weigh?

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
That is my main worry... its too heavy to move or lift!  i have to see some other way to do this... 
I am thinking of using bricks its less and easy to remove.. but worried how it will be in terrace !
rajmahendra
rajmahendra

Male Posts : 55

http://rajmahendra.in/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/17/2016, 7:39 pm

Try making a 2 x 2, fill with soil, water, then weigh.  If a 4 x 4 is too heavy, then find the load bearing walls below the roof and spread out smaller boxes.

I do not know how solidly you house is built:  e.g. my house is completely made of wood and is old, I would not dare put anything on the roof.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/19/2016, 5:23 pm

rajmahendra wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Hi, Raj, and Welcome from Ohio, USA!  You look like you are off to a good start!  The wood you used might not hold up as well as plain lumber, but to get you started it will be just fine.  

Just do the best you can with the Mel's Mix; it can be hard to find the ingredients.  The best thing you can do is start your own compost pile, that will be most helpful in the garden.  

Again,  glad you\'re here
Yes Smile  I am talking with my carpenter to find a good wood and good quote for around 10 beds in future. (My whole terrace filled Smile )

The current mix is having some animal manure + cocopeat + compost.  I have added Neem Cake + Bone meal. 

I have Panchagavya , Neam oil and BioFungi in hand just in case.

Welcome ,
I'm guessing that you will have a fantastic journey with the , "  All new square foot gardening " experience .

I live in South Wales Great Britain , my brick built 900 mm high deep beds are filled with the above materials I've marked in red .

Re:- the animal manures.
Get as many different types of animal species manures as you can including bird poop . I think the initial construct of my version of Mel's mix included a third of the volume manures & beddings , using nine different animal or bird dungs including their used beddings. My results are shown in the gallery pictures .

If you can get hold of fish skins or fish meal a hand full every now & then in your compost heap will add all manner of useful micro nutrients.

One thing ....... don't go to heavy in using bullock dung or bedding soaked with their urine as it can be a tad too acidic & this will if used too much in each compost heap  will usually affect the pH balance of the compost .

Chicken muck in your compost heap with straw bedding & feathers is fantastic once the heap has composted
( See ,  " The Berkley 18 day hot composting method "  on the internet for a way of making great compost easily & quickly .   Just don't let it dry out as it needs a reasonable moisture level for the beneficial composting bacterial action to work .

Over the time of  six or so years the coir material will break down quite a lot , so perhaps adding some extra new stuff into your composting heaps as you build them up will help replace the lost volumes of bed contents when you add new material to a vacant square in your beds .

I know you've only just started the journey but planning well & thinking ahead ... If you stay in one home for over seven years you might find it useful to empty & recharge each bed one at a time when you have time with all new home made Mel's mix made to whatever materials you have to hand as the light handling quality starts to degrade as the matter becomes broken down further & gets a bit heavier to work .
 The removed material could be fantastic for putting in deep holes for growing fruit trees etc . if you have the sace .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2