Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 Toplef10We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 I22gcj10We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 Toplef10We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 I22gcj10We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew

+33
walshevak
herblover
greatgranny
Goosegirl
Windmere
FeedMeSeeMore
has55
Turan
MrBooker
Yardslave
ralitaco
Mikesgardn
Scorpio Rising
floyd1440
Judy McConnell
audrey.jeanne.roberts
bigdogrock
plantoid
sfg4uKim
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
landarch
countrynaturals
donnainzone5
CitizenKate
Kelejan
Zmoore
BeetlesPerSqFt
trolleydriver
Leone
CapeCoddess
llama momma
sfgteachers
37 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 Empty Re: We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew

Post  Turan 4/30/2016, 1:29 pm

I am sorry to hear this.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 Empty Re: We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew

Post  sfg4uKim 4/30/2016, 6:35 pm

I will collect these wonderful tributes and forward them on to his sons.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/30/2016, 6:38 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:I will collect these wonderful tributes and forward them on to his sons.
Since I heard this news you have been on my mind.
To you and all the people who knew Mel personally, my heart felt condolences.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/1/2016, 2:18 am

trolleydriver wrote:I am surprised and saddened to hear about Mel's passing. He has left a tremendous legacy to the gardening world. My condolences to his family and friends.

A Great Legacy. +1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 5/1/2016, 12:17 pm

This is sad news. I had no idea he was ill. May his brilliant legacy live on forever...
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 Empty My deepest sympathy

Post  Windmere 5/1/2016, 12:23 pm

Oh, what a shock!  My heart sunk when I saw this.  To Mel's family, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Also, I want to express that I am very thankful for a man who made gardening possible for a man (me) with limited health.  Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/3/2016, 6:24 pm

Rest assured, we will honor Mel by keeping his dream alive. We're counting on everyone here to help us.

MEL'S LEGACY

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/3/2016, 6:33 pm

Very nice. We are up to this! Absolute converts! SFG Lives on! I love you cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/3/2016, 6:56 pm

I have been living in my own little cave lately and am just hearing about Mel's passing.  My thoughts and prayers are with Mel's family.  Mel has been an inspiration to me and his simple methods have helped me regain peace and calm in my life one trowelful at a time.  Gardening is so much more than growing plants.  Thank you Mel, for everything!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/3/2016, 7:13 pm

Goosegirl wrote:I have been living in my own little cave lately and am just hearing about Mel's passing.  My thoughts and prayers are with Mel's family.  Mel has been an inspiration to me and his simple methods have helped me regain peace and calm in my life one trowelful at a time.  Gardening is so much more than growing plants.  Thank you Mel, for everything!

Hey, GG!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 5/3/2016, 10:22 pm

llama momma wrote:Oh God, No! 

Made such a difference in my life beginning almost 6 years ago.  We exchanged a few lovely emails since then.   Such a terrific person.

I'm gutted but pray knowing his suffering is over and believe he is whole again.   

Job well done,  All my respectful affection to you, Sir Mel.
Me too, llama.  Many of us who are old could never have a garden the old way anymore.  I so appreciate his gift.  I too want to say that having a sister-in-law pass this morning with cancer has made me realize that the suffering is over and so is Mel's.  It is hard to lose someone but...
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/4/2016, 8:56 pm

Greatgranny
So sorry for your loss  I know it's never easy. Peace and Hugs.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 5/4/2016, 9:09 pm

I read his first book in the 80's.  I wish I kept it to see the changes he made to SFGing ....
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/5/2016, 4:10 am

Greatgranny, When someone is suffering, it is almost a relief for their suffering to be over. May you and family have Peace.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 5/5/2016, 8:30 am

sanderson wrote:Greatgranny,  When someone is suffering, it is almost a relief for their suffering to be over.  May you and family have Peace.
Thank you.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 5/5/2016, 8:31 am

llama momma wrote:Greatgranny
So sorry for your loss  I know it's never easy. Peace and Hugs.
Thank you.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/5/2016, 11:57 am

I had no idea...prayers for his family and friends.  He has truly left a legacy; not everyone has that gift.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/5/2016, 9:36 pm

has55 wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:I am surprised and saddened to hear about Mel's passing. He has left a tremendous legacy to the gardening world. My condolences to his family and friends.

A Great Legacy. +1
I must add my great big +1 to these thoughts.   Sad

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/6/2016, 1:39 pm

My good friend took me to a library event probably 18-20 years ago where Mel was teaching his sfg method.  I bought a book on the spot and he autographed it.  It was the first sfg book.  It is very worn but I will keep it forever even though I have the ansfg book!

What an amazing man to not only create this way of gardening but to also spread it around the World!  What a legacy to leave!  We will all miss you!

For his family, I am so sorry for your loss!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 Empty Sad News. Mel Bartholomew has passed.

Post  WardinWake 5/11/2016, 7:15 am

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 E7b70a0de51b30f7c601cdf8f8da77034fb581ca
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  dcatu 5/11/2016, 11:09 am

going to miss him.
dcatu
dcatu

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 5/11/2016, 6:08 pm

Very sad news, but at least Mel has planned ahead (would we expect anything less) and his SFG Foundation and this forum will preserve his legacy and educate new generations of gardeners in his methods. I was first influenced by him around 1988 when I was building raised beds on the pile of ledge I call my back yard and looking for advice on what to do with them. His first book seemed to offer a method, dividing the beds into squares. Then Mel published his ANSFG book that included his invention of Mel's Mix, far superior to what I put in my beds. Now my new garden in the town's community garden is based on Mel's ANSFG and Mel's Mix and it has inspired 3 other gardeners to try it out. His huge contribution to gardening will not be forgotten.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

We grieve today for our friend and mentor Mel Bartholomew - Page 2 Empty has55's R & D Journey;Honoring Mel Bartholomew, the Man with integrity.

Post  has55 2/10/2017, 2:59 pm

Today, I want to honor Mel Bartholomew. The new book was a great leap in improvement in SFGing. He made 10 Major new improvements that are wonderful. 
They are a new location, new direction, new soil-Mel's mix, new depth-6 inches, not 12", No fertilizer, new boxes, new aisles. new grids , new idea-don't waste seeds and new opportunities-tabletop gardening.

When he did the first book he explained a gardener primarily did single row gardens like myself. When he asked why? their response was, " Because that's the way we've always done it!" Something didn't sit right with Mel, a fire was burning in his bosom to find a better way. He began researching, ignored the naysayers and developed Square Foot gardening. 
But during the 25 years before announcing the new "All New Square Foot Gardening" Book, another fire was ignited in his bosom.  Has SFG arrived,? Is that all there is to it or could he keep improving on it? He began more research and had many breaks thru, but the greatest accomplishment, in my opinion, was a new invention/product called "Mel's Mix" for growing your plants without soil. 
It took ten years of experimenting before announcing to the world we can do SFG better and not say " Because that's the way we've always done it!" and allowed SFG to continue on it same path from inception in 1981 and keeping his new ideas to himself and his close friends.
 This is a sign of the character of greatness and integrity, not self-centeredness or pride.
My hat goes off to you Mel Bartholomew. Integrity, progressive creative thinking, and humility are very obvious in your life. You went out with a bang! Wear that Halo well.Very Happy
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/11/2017, 12:48 am

The improvement that affected me the most was that one did not have to dig up the ground, but could lay the bed on almost any surface.  Especially good for people like me who have mainly rocky ground with little soil depth.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2