Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 36 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Scorpio Rising Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Dedicated mom, kids and gardens!  They make molasses from sorghum, the stalks?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:45 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:They make molasses from sorghum, the stalks?
So I have heard and read.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:43 am

Time for you folks in the "Northern California & Coastal Valleys" to start panning for gold.

"Thomas said one hot spot this year will be below the Oroville Dam, because the huge water releases from the spillway could reveal some new pockets of gold."

Full article here ...

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/02/27/storm-runoff-in-california-gold-country-exposing-new-motherlode/

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Z
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:02 am

I'm transplanting, today. Purple basil, 4 more ground cherries, lemon balm, bee balm, and amaranth are all up with true leaves. Gonna let them all play outside for a little while this afternoon, then back in their nice warm beds before it gets down into the 30s again, tonight. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:59 pm

My husband and a friend went panning last spring with a man who has all the equipment. After reading TD's post, I told him to get out of his sick bed (cold) and get up there in them their hills!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:53 pm

I plan to post a Google Earth photo of my teeny, tiny back yard as soon as the Host an Image feature works again. Off to fill 16 sq ft of beds.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:37 pm

sanderson wrote:I plan to post a Google Earth photo of my teeny, tiny back yard as soon as the Host an Image feature works again.  Off to fill 16 sq ft of beds.
How fun. I can do the same, but the Google Earth photo is from before we bought the place, so it doesn't show any of our improvements.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:55 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:I plan to post a Google Earth photo of my teeny, tiny back yard as soon as the Host an Image feature works again.  Off to fill 16 sq ft of beds.
How fun. I can do the same, but the Google Earth photo is from before we bought the place, so it doesn't show any of our improvements.

I found that Goodle Maps gave a more up to date view than Google Earth.  Google Earth did not show the two SFG beds that I added last Spring.

BTW Host Imaging is working for me.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:17 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Street view doesn't even show a house where I am! Razz
Overhead view is from later and has the house, but the view of the garden is blocked by the elm tree canopy.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:18 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
Street view doesn't even show a house where I am! Razz
Overhead view is from later and has the house, but the view of the garden is blocked by the elm tree canopy.
I posted mine in "Butterfly Junction." I know what you mean, Beetles. Our last place was under a canopy of huge oak trees. All you could see was green on Google Earth.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:50 pm

trolleydriver wrote:I found that Goodle Maps gave a more up to date view than Google Earth.  Google Earth did not show the two SFG beds that I added last Spring.

BTW Host Imaging is working for me.
Can't find Goodle Maps Wink

Host Imaging is working now.  I wanted to show that it is possible to have a SFG in a tiny back yard.  The lot is 60' across and 100' deep.  As you can see, the front yard and driveway (top / north) and the house (middle) takes up most of the lot.  The gazebo is in the lower left with the orange tree wrapped around it.  The compost pile in under the smaller crepe myrtle next to it.  On the right is the attached white patio cover.  The trees on the south side of the neighbor fence totally block winter sun to 2 of my beds.  One can be clearly seen as a white "L" shape.  The 2' x 8' table top bed which is part of the key-hole set up can be seen just south of the patio cover.  The rest is red brick and now has 3 beds, 2 sweet potato totes and several 5-gallon potato and tomato buckets.  Looking down the left side of the house are the winter squash beds.  Down the right side of the house (public walkway side) are 2 trellised beds and the BTE strip.  The BTE strip looks green in this 2014 shot before we removed all of the star jasmines that grew up and over the fence.  This strip is my neighborhood  show and tell area with plants peeking over the top of the fence.  The SFG and isles now officially take up 1/2 of the back yard!!
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Google10

TD, if you want to draw/write on the photo with some program, please feel free.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:42 pm

You really know how to make use of space, Sanderson. Amazing! Reminds me of a game I played with my mother when I was a little girl: "I packed my trunk to go to Europe, and in it I put:" We took turns adding things until the list got so long one of us couldn't remember something. Gardening is like that.  Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Amazing picture Sanderson - your % of useable ground in minuscule.  I've always known that but seeing it really drives home what a luxury of space I have <3

My husband cut 3 of our 55 gallon barrels in half and we just planted three types of potatoes in them:  Yukon Gold, Red Borland and Adirondack Blue.  We have 3 more large barrels, 2 are going to be strawberry towers and one more for sweet potatoes.  I'm going to also do a deeper barrel with russets which are the type that will keep growing potatoes off the stem as you bury the plant (indeterminate variety)

We're racing to make use of the warmth and sunshine before yet another storm.  We may even have snow here, so I need to make certain my greenhouse is closed up tonight and tomorrow.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:51 pm

sanderson ... that really is amazing what you have done with so limited space. I think the photo and your description tells it all. I don't think drawing/writing on the photo will add anything to what you have already provided.

Last edited by trolleydriver on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Wow!  That is amazing!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks all.

Should I start a thread of "bird's eye view of our gardens"? TD and CN have also posted Google (or Goodle) views.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Wow!  That is amazing!

My thought verbatim!

You could start the top view thread, Sanderson. Why not? I tried getting a top view of my place but every time I zoomed closer it turned into a front view. I can't get the camera to stay afloat.
thinking
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Sanderson, your use of space is remarkable- its "SQG" meets "The Postage Stamp Garden". If you can find the room, pat yourself on the back!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:40 am

Pat, pat. I started a thread for those who want to post a bird's eye view of their garden space.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:36 am

+1 on the WOW factor. 
I am amazed at how little yard you have. I guess I have always lived where the lots were all around 1/2 acre.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:35 am

I have a hard time photographing things in the back yard, because, if I back up, I fall over something! Here, a 1/4 acre lot is over-sized.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:13 am

lol!
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Finally warm enough to work out side.  In the 70's for the next 10 days.  All of the winter cole/cabbage family crops are being pulled out.  In 3 weeks I should be setting out the summer/fall crops.  I'm leaving 4 Bright Light Swiss chard in the pepper bed as an experiment.  There is still room for 12 peppers.  I'm also leaving the handful of bolting and flowering Coles that the bees are loving.  All 6 bees plus one bumble bee! Razz  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Bees_o11
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Bees_o12

Removed the rest of the green and colored chard, harvested the near bolting big stalks of cilantro (bees love the flowers so I will leave a few for them), thinned carrots and French Breakfast radishes and harvested many leaves of lettuce.  Now I have to blanch and freeze or dehydrate the harvest.  Shocked California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Harves10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Harves11

For the past couple days I have been juicing (new Juiceman citrus juicer) all of the oranges and freezing.  Twenty (20) cups worth!  Plus some on the counter.  I also dehydrated some orange jest.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Orange13
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Orange15
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 36 Orange14

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Beautiful harvest.  Look at the size of some of those leaves.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm

yolos wrote:Beautiful harvest.  Look at the size of some of those leaves.
+1.
I don't dare post what my beds look like right now
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next