Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 24 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 8/29/2016, 11:42 am

sanderson wrote:Suspense - how does it taste?
Patience, Grasshopper. I'm gonna let it ripen for a few more days. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 8/30/2016, 2:28 pm

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Chop_s10

Either MM or Petite Gris.  Talk about personal-sized!  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Cantal10

Last edited by sanderson on 8/31/2016, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/30/2016, 9:44 pm

You guys!  We love your Renaissance!  

We are on the down trend...living vicariously through you starting in October,  we still have beans maters, taters, and fall showings of spinach, lettuces, radishes.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 8/30/2016, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Maters, not materials.)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/31/2016, 10:22 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:You guys!  We love your Renaissance!  

We are on the down trend...living vicariously through you starting in October,  we still have beans maters, taters, and fall showings of spinach, lettuces, radishes.
By the end of our 10-day forecast, we'll be back up into triple-digits. We are so loving this tiny glimpse of nice weather.  Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/31/2016, 4:03 pm

Just returned from a vacation in Idaho to find that the house sitter didn't keep up with the 3-4 day picking schedule for the tomatoes- so they shut down. The zucchini plants each had 18" zucchini fruit hanging out the boxes and they too stopped flowering. (They look like big green scuba tanks!). I hope it stays warm so the plants will start pushing flowers, but I don't hold out much hope of seeing any more tomatoes this season- it will be too late for them to ripen as the fall chill approaches. I will now have to pull up the tomatoes and get the beds ready for fall planting. The only thing left to harvest besides the existing veggies are lots of apples- got to get what I can before the blue jays and sparrows start pecking them all over.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/31/2016, 4:34 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Funniest thing, most folks gripe when it gets "up" into the 90s. We celebrate when it gets "down" into the 90s.  rofl

Shocked gruesome.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/31/2016, 4:38 pm

Yardslave wrote:Just returned from a vacation in Idaho to find that the house sitter didn't keep up with the 3-4 day picking schedule for the tomatoes- so they shut down. The zucchini plants each had 18" zucchini fruit hanging out the boxes and they too stopped flowering. (They look like big green scuba tanks!). I hope it stays warm so the plants will start pushing flowers, but I don't hold out much hope of seeing any more tomatoes this season- it will be too late for them to ripen as the fall chill approaches. I will now have to pull up the tomatoes and get the beds ready for fall planting. The only thing left to harvest besides the existing veggies are lots of apples- got to get what I can before the blue jays and sparrows start pecking them all over.
*deep sigh* I feel your pain.  I have good watering from my house sitter, but never get the fruit picked adequately either.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/1/2016, 12:05 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
Yardslave wrote:Just returned from a vacation in Idaho to find that the house sitter didn't keep up with the 3-4 day picking schedule for the tomatoes- so they shut down. The zucchini plants each had 18" zucchini fruit hanging out the boxes and they too stopped flowering. (They look like big green scuba tanks!). I hope it stays warm so the plants will start pushing flowers, but I don't hold out much hope of seeing any more tomatoes this season- it will be too late for them to ripen as the fall chill approaches. I will now have to pull up the tomatoes and get the beds ready for fall planting. The only thing left to harvest besides the existing veggies are lots of apples- got to get what I can before the blue jays and sparrows start pecking them all over.
*deep sigh* I feel your pain.  I have good watering from my house sitter, but never get the fruit picked adequately either.
Could you replant the toms in containers and bring them inside to extend their production?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/1/2016, 1:52 am

Or make a simple PVC and plastic greenhouse to extend the season?  I have some that have resumed blooming and I'm hoping that some will set.  Course, I can't grow tomatoes to save my life. tongue  I've removed 5 plants this week.  Two others died a couple months ago, for a total of 7 gone.

Audrey, I just saw on the news that one of your neighbors was busted growing illegal herbs. What a Face

I actually got some food in Seal-a-Meals in the freezer.  I prepared the poblano peppers like Camp suggested and they are now frozen.  Likewise, the green beans from the Farmer's Market are in bags.  More hot peppers strung up or diced for dehydrating.  The eggplants and Butternuts roasted and on trays in the freezer before Sealing.  I feel down right domestic.

Hand pollinated 3 Butternut female flowers.  Sill fighting what ever digs up one empty square in the winter squash bed.  Every night digs it up.  Next day. I smooth it back over.  Repeat for 4 days and nights.  Ground Hog Day.  The rat trap in the bucket on its side didn't work.  Tonight it is in the bucket hung high by the trellis.  It looks like Rube Goldberg designed it to keep the neighbor's cat from getting hurt.  Oh, and there is another rat in the attic.  We caught 5 juveniles.  The one running the fence line is an adult.  And it looks like something got into the free range worm box, again.

Direct seeded French Breakfast radishes are up as well as CN's purple broccoli seeds in a pony pack. The other winter plants are 3-5" tall.

Question. The winter plants look leggy. Can I plant them deeper, up to the leaf line?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/1/2016, 4:45 pm

If they're leggy, it can be caused by letting the transplants', or seedings' watering intervals go too long and they dried out too much before the next dowsing. Not enough light can cause legginess too, but I'd put my money on inconsistent coil temps- the temps have been up and down from day to day and dawn to dusk. If it were up to me, I'd mulch around the plants ( don't let the mulch get too close to the plant's stalks) to keep soil temp more consistent and keep the soil moist.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/1/2016, 9:04 pm

This week it was 4 major growing operations, a couple weeks or so back 4 more (one of which was my housekeeper *smacking my head over that one!*)

Besides the obvious illegal part of that activity, most of these operations are hijacking water from wells etc.  GGGGRRRRRRR

Temper tantrum over... Razz
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/2/2016, 2:16 am

YS, The leggy plants are still in the recycled pony packs. When I plant them in a 2-4 weeks, can I submerge them up to the lower leaves? The peppers in the 2' x 8' box are still in major production. That's where I normally plant the winter greens. A 2 x 3' can be planted any day. I planned to put some in the newer 2 x 7 but there are a couple tomatoes with huge root systems so I can't spot plant them until I remove the tomatoes, shorten the framing, and amend.

Audrey, I wouldn't want a "herb grower" anywhere near my home because of the possible violence (shooting).

CN, I grew celery my first year (2013) and it survived the summer. It was partially shaded. So lets both try the celeriac. Wink Of course, I have no idea where I would plant it. Razz Audrey, YS and Mellon, have you guys tried it. It sounds like it would be a refreshing taste in the winter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/2/2016, 10:36 pm

All of my radishes are up -- including black Spanish and daikon. White egg turnips just sprouted today, too.  flower
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/2/2016, 10:53 pm

Oh jeez!  This thread!  Lol! I have zero experience with what you guys are dealing with. Too hot for my stuff.  And I am lazygardener.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/3/2016, 4:30 pm

[quote="sanderson"] The leggy plants are still in the recycled pony packs.  When I plant them in a 2-4 weeks, can I submerge them up to the lower leaves? [ /quote]

Depends on what you're planting, Sanderson. It's my understanding that anything with hair on the stems can be deeply planted. I plant lettuce only to the same level as it was in the pot but will deeply plant peppers and tomatoes. I also deeply plant dog legged kale, collards and other greens. I'm not sure if we're supposed to do that but it works for me. What is it your looking to plant?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 9/3/2016, 9:30 pm

Look what I found.  I forgot I receive monthly emails from garden.org.  Put in your zip code and get a planting calendar.  http://garden.org/apps/calendar/
I just love these things.   Razz
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/4/2016, 2:54 am

Thanks, I bookmarked it! How is your garden doing? Photos?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/4/2016, 12:07 pm

Mellen wrote:Look what I found.  I forgot I receive monthly emails from garden.org.  Put in your zip code and get a planting calendar.  http://garden.org/apps/calendar/
I just love these things.   Razz
Great resource! It says we can garden all the way to the end of November, here. YEE-HAH! Life is GOOD!  cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/4/2016, 5:34 pm

We are Zone 8b-ish and have experience a killing frost anywhere from mid-October (of course followed by perfectly warm weather that our veggies could have continued to grow had they survived!) to Mid-December first frost.  Most often it's averages around the end of November to early December. 

However, huge amounts of plants will grow all winter if you have started them growing well before the days begin shortening.  They slow down during the short days of winter and pick up quickly when February rolls around. 

Even things that can handle freezing temps will do significantly better under plastic, so if you have the money to spend on hoop houses (simple covers on plastic pipe arches work well.  I even left my ends open on them last year and found them very productive.  With the ends open the heat didn't build up too much if I forgot to open them up.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/4/2016, 5:44 pm

Audrey, Can I direct sow snow peas now? I'm ripping out some beans that aren't setting, and I usually plant the peas there for winter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 9/4/2016, 5:51 pm

Sanderson: Thanks, I bookmarked it! How is your garden doing? Photos?

I have nothing to photograph.  The summer garden is done.  My Celebrity tomato did marvelously.  I have four 1-gallon bags of frozen, "food-saved" in my freezer.  That's all that was left after eating and gifting.  I thought it was pretty good considering I had only one plant. The Roma did nothing; never recovered from BER.  I just read that before I plant I need to put a tablespoon of Epsom Salt in the bottom of the hole, cover it with a little dirt & then plant the tomato.  Anyone heard about that?

I finally pulled the yellow squash out because I was so blasted sick of it.  I picked in the evening, went out the next evening and there were a dozen more.  I refused to freeze any more of it. My family started running when they saw me coming so I threw the tomato's at them (not really, but it sounded good, huh?   Razz )  I got nary a potato. (? Sad )    My "salad box" is presently resting.  It will be replanted tomorrow.

I always have great plans on the way home from work; I hit the house, hit my chair and it's all over.  Weekends the past month have been family & work.  No excuse.  I just run out of energy (& am lazy).  

I have some garlic I want to plant tomorrow after I finish the salad box.  I have some string & bush bean seeds left.  I think I'll put some of them in also. The way everyone is talking, they practically grow themselves.  I don't want to do a lot of fall / winter gardening.  I'm just starting this new career and don't want to overwhelm myself.   Very Happy  .

Onward & upward.  I retire 12/30.  Can hardly wait.  I expect great things of myself come spring!
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/4/2016, 10:09 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Even things that can handle freezing temps will do significantly better under plastic, so if you have the money to spend on hoop houses (simple covers on plastic pipe arches work well.  I even left my ends open on them last year and found them very productive.  With the ends open the heat didn't build up too much if I forgot to open them up.
Ooo, good idea. thanks I already have frames up with shade cloth. It's only about $20 for a huge roll of plastic. I could just drape it over the existing frames and call it good.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/4/2016, 11:07 pm

Mellen,  Retirement on the horizon!!  smiles  If you like snow peas (the flat ones for stir frying and fresh snacking) you can plant those instead of/or along with the beans.  You got a lot of tomatoes from that plant.

CN,  4 mil is a good thickness for freeze protection with our weather.  Once framing is in place, it is easy to swap sun shade and freeze plastic.

Today, I chopped down 8 more tomato plants and ripped out 6 squares of beans that don't seem to want to set.  Amended with Double Doody, HM compost, NF powdered milk, kelp meal and crabs flakes.  Snow peas will go in these 2 little boxes. (1' x 3')  I feel a slight change in the weather, especially in the morning and evening.  Why, I even had to put on socks early this morning!
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Joke_c10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/5/2016, 11:22 am

Ooooo, Sanderson, that sock pic could start a riot with some of our Yankee friends. Maybe you should lay low for a while until things settle down. Twisted Evil 

Triple digits heading our way again this week. I thought we were done with all that for this year. Mad 

Today I'm bleaching my milkweed plants to (hopefully) get rid of this $%&*%$! OE. My dream is that it also gets rid of the aphids. Evil or Very Mad  

Still getting lots of Armenian cukes and even a few lemon cukes. Getting lots of tomatoes, too, but so far nothing I like. I knew there were many varieties, but I thought they would all be nice and sweet if left on the vine long enough. Wrong again! They're all sour. Hubby likes them, however, so that makes it worth it. Next year I'm going for sungold and anything else with "sweet" in the description. Live and learn. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/8/2016, 3:07 am

This is the newest table top, Feb 2016.  Here are summer tomatoes with over head supports.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Table_12

Here is the bed today, ready for snow peas on the left and coles on the right.  I finally have a whole inventory of PVC parts to mix and match according the the crop.  Very Happy  The blue tape is for silicon in the seams, which I will do Thursday. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Table_10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 24 Table_11

Caught a culprit that has been digging in the winter squash bed. We will still keep the traps set to see if their are relatives. That makes 5 juvenile and 1 adult rat, and one juvenile opossum. I was outside tonight and momma opossum just strolled down the fence. I was on the phone or I would have run over to the humane trap and reset it. I closed it during the day so a nosy cat wouldn't get caught. We are feeling more like Ghostbusters and less like Caddyshack with our successful trapping.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 41  Next