Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 8/12/2016, 1:36 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I planted 3 varieties of carrots on Aug. 1. "Ya-Ya hybrid" is up with enthusiasm this morning. "Little Sister" is showing a couple of sprouts. No action from the "Parisian" yet. 
I just found a Parisian sprout, so all 3 varieties came up on the same 12th day.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 8/15/2016, 2:09 am

Reached 106*F today so definitely didn't do anything except water near sundown.  All the winter sprouts are up, 3 trays worth.  Received replacement seeds from CN for purple broccoli.  Talk about customer service!  Much better than Park.  Tomorrow, I will plant them before it gets hot.

Audrey,  How long before they need to be planted?  I'm looking at all the beds for winter crops and they are still in summer production.  I have 3 types of fresh beans growing in 20 squares, and we have had only 2 meals worth.  Really bad bean year.

Audrey, I can only keep the backyard picked up for so long.  Hope you can come by, maybe within the next 2 weeks??  It won't take very long to view the garden Razz .  Maybe give a little advice, or a lot!

Yardslave, still thinking of you.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/15/2016, 11:34 am

sanderson wrote:Reached 106*F today so definitely didn't do anything except water near sundown.  All the winter sprouts are up, 3 trays worth.  Received replacement seeds from CN for purple broccoli.  Talk about customer service!  Much better than Park.  Tomorrow, I will plant them before it gets hot.

Audrey,  How long before they need to be planted?  I'm looking at all the beds for winter crops and they are still in summer production.  I have 3 types of fresh beans growing in 20 squares, and we have had only 2 meals worth.  Really bad bean year.
Thank you for the testimonial.  Very Happy Beans have been awful here, too. Hoping Sep/Oct will be better.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/15/2016, 1:03 pm

Beans are iffy right now. The 6-square box of Dragon Tongues now has scale, and I'm seriously thinking of removing the vines, strings and straw mulch. Clean, amend and plant some Tendersweet carrots. I'll leave the other 14 squares with KY Wonder and Rattlesnake for now. I'm probably better off to buy some green beans from the Farmer's Market for blanching and freezing. Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/15/2016, 6:41 pm

sanderson wrote:Beans are iffy right now.  The 6-square box of Dragon Tongues now has scale, and I'm seriously thinking of removing the vines, strings and straw mulch.  Clean, amend and plant some Tendersweet carrots.  I'll leave the other 14 squares with KY Wonder and Rattlesnake for now.  I'm probably better off to buy some green beans from the Farmer's Market for blanching and freezing. Sad
I may plant some KY Wonder pole beans next week, just for grins and giggles. They can't do any worse than what I've tried so far. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/16/2016, 12:00 am

Two years ago, 2014, I had the leaf curl virus where leaves on tomatoes and some peppers curl under. No canning that year.

This year, 2016. I heard from the grapevine about this disease, where the leaves roll upward. Could be what I have, along with nutrient deficiencies. Both diseases have a leaf hopper vector. https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ipc/curlytopvirus/ctv_hp.htm

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/16/2016, 12:36 am

Okay, Audrey, garden guru of CA. What caused this? I had 5 little butternuts on the vines until I saw this today. I harvested all and will have to roast and freeze this one. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Winter10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2016, 11:12 am

112 here, yesterday! Shocked affraid California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 671790. It was "only" supposed to be 107. At 6:30 last night it was still 108 and I had to water, so I put on my bathing suit and jumped into the hot tub (which we keep at about 95). I dunked my head under to get my hair wet, then got out and did my gardening chores. It was WONDERFUL! I didn't even know it was hot. I had to repeat the dunking (poor me) but I came back in the house cool and refreshed instead of wilted and droopy like I usually do. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 43549
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2016, 12:37 pm

WE HAVE A WINNER! cheers Armenian cucumbers laugh at our heat (as long as they have protection from the sun). I planted 3 kinds of cukes in May/June -- lemon, burpless, and Armenian. The lemon cukes I replanted 3 times and got nothing. The burpless gave me 2 cukes before giving up the ghost. The Armenian took longer, but they've already given me 3 beauties, and I found 3 more coming along nicely this morning. (It was 112 here, yesterday.) Half the vines get about 3 hours of our direct sun every day. They are just barely hanging on. The rest of the vines are under shade cloth (75%). That's where I picked one day before yesterday and found the other 3 this morning.  Next year I will start them inside earlier and only plant them out under shade cloth. Finally, I can share a success story. I love you

(It's not hanging straight down because I moved it off the fence top.)
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Armeni11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2016, 1:21 pm

NZ spinach is also doing great (thank you, Sanderson) in containers on our covered deck. The heat isn't bothering them at all. They get about 2 hours of late afternoon sun.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Nz10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/17/2016, 1:22 pm

Pretty! Please let us know what you think of the taste, Country.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2016, 2:39 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Pretty!  Please let us know what you think of the taste, Country.
CC
Hubby and I don't like it, but we haven't given any to Katie, yet, and she's the spinach lover in the family. If she doesn't like it, the rabbit gets next dibs, then the goats and chickens. If nobody likes it, it should make great compost. Right now it's a pretty ornamental. Laughing
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/17/2016, 3:35 pm

Do you and H eat normal spinach?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2016, 7:48 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Do you and H eat normal spinach?
I don't. He does, occasionally, but doesn't cook it since I don't like it.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/18/2016, 1:21 pm

Don't throw it in the compost. If Katie doesn't like it, the pets may like it as a perennial treat. It can also be put in smoothies or juices.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/18/2016, 2:51 pm

sanderson wrote:Don't throw it in the compost.  If Katie doesn't like it, the pets may like it as a perennial treat.  It can also be put in smoothies or juices.
I'll try everything else before composting them. Right now I'm just enjoying the plants. They're so  . . . gentle looking. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/19/2016, 2:58 am

I think I will try Armenian cucumbers next year, along with Muncher, which did good this year. Anything Mediterranean in origin should do good. I can't believe, CN, that you had 112*F the other day. Yikes. The weatherman said that the smoke from Big Sur is heading East towards Fresno, and the smoke from Bakersfield/Kern is moving north towards us. Oh, great.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/19/2016, 5:45 pm

sanderson wrote:Okay, Audrey, garden guru of CA.  What caused this?  I had 5 little butternuts on the vines until I saw this today.  I harvested all and will have to roast and freeze this one. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Winter10

That's a pressure crack.  Once the skin starts to turn tan on the squashes, they lose the ability to expand.  Combine coolish morning watering with blazing afternoon sun and heat and *pop* like a balloon.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/19/2016, 6:57 pm

I'm glad I went ahead and harvested the other 4.  Even though the plants are under 75% shade cloth, can't do anything about the temperature.  Curious, the vines they were on are dead, though new side offshoots are lovely and green.  When the supporting stem dies, is that the sign to pick them?

This morning I found a nice cantaloupe on the ground and it looks and smells perfect. I think someone mentioned that they would fall off or be real easy to pick when ripe. Well, this one smells heavenly. Today we ate the one I cut off 2 days ago and it was perfect. I needed something to make up for the diseased tomatoes! Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/19/2016, 7:50 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:
sanderson wrote:Okay, Audrey, garden guru of CA.  What caused this?  I had 5 little butternuts on the vines until I saw this today.  I harvested all and will have to roast and freeze this one. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Winter10

That's a pressure crack.  Once the skin starts to turn tan on the squashes, they lose the ability to expand.  Combine coolish morning watering with blazing afternoon sun and heat and *pop* like a balloon
That makes perfect sense!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/19/2016, 8:36 pm

I think the horrible heat is over for this year and I can get back to some serious gardening. Very Happy We still have 102 predicted for tomorrow, but after that it's all 101 or lower for the 10-day forecast, and after that we shouldn't have anything else close to what we've had.  Cool

Today we went to an end-of-season 40% off plant sale. We bought 3 more little passion vines for the frits, a butterfly bush for all to enjoy, a trumpet vine for the hummers, and a nice big grape plant for Hubby. We'll put them all in the ground in a few days when the weather cools off a little more. I will also be planting my daikon seeds and my little melon seeds from Scorpio Rising. 

I have cukes and tomatoes coming that survived the heat. I'm going to plant some KY Wonder pole beans and see if they do any better than the asparagus beans. My favorite seed company just sent me a 50% off coupon, so I may just have to make another order. YIKES! I'm turning into a seed horder!  affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2016, 3:43 am

countrynaturals wrote:My favorite seed company just sent me a 50% off coupon, so I may just have to make another order. YIKES! I'm turning into a seed horder!  affraid
And there is no known cure!

Ripped out the Dragon Tongues with their scale.  Started taking out the cucumbers.  Ground and put up some seasonings. Takes forever with the little coffee grinder. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 22 Herbs_10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/20/2016, 9:24 am

sanderson ... that's a nice grouping of seasonings.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/20/2016, 11:08 am

Sanderson: WOW! You grew and ground all those seasonings this year? That is impressive! What's your process? For basil, I wash and dry the fresh leaves (cut off at the base so there are no stems) sandwich them between 2 paper towels in the microwave, then nuke them in 30 second spurts, checking and turning as needed until they're crispy. Then into the coffee grinder they go. Hubby and I work together on it and when we're finished, the kitchen smells wonderful. Cool

I tried to go back and see what's up with your cukes, but there was too much to go through. Why are you pulling yours out? Mine (Armenian only) are just taking off. The other 2 varieties (burpless & lemon) aren't doing anything, but they aren't dying, so I'm going to wait and see if cooler weather helps. The only thing I'm pulling up -- and I'm doing it with extreme prejudice -- is those gawdawful vine peaches.  Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2016, 2:18 pm

When I talked to daughter last night, she said, "Well, I know what we're getting for Christmas this year."  We have a family cookie exchange each year among the "adults" instead of gifts. Razz

The 2 basil are not ground, just dried in the passive dehydrator, crumbled and stuffed in the jars.  I bought 3 sizes of jars to accommodate ground, excess, and leafy, etc.  The coriander seeds are from last year.  A special "coriander" cilantro from Baker's that produces large seeds and bolts quickly.

The cucumbers were fried by the Agribon-30.  Enough sun gets through the material to create a solar temp situation.  Same thing happened to all the pole beans but they seem to be recovering somewhat and are starting to bloom.  If the temps stay at 100*F or less, I may get something this year for freezing.

Note on Agribon - it washes up nicely.  Very Happy

Oh, I heard there was a fire up in the Sequoias.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next