Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 14 of 41 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/18/2016, 3:56 pm

I'm having much the same problem.  The weather with May gray has been deary to say the least and it seems to go from overcast, damp, cool and blah out to blazing sun don't want to be working in it.  Air temp will be 74, but put a thermometer in the sun and it'll say 95 in a blink.

Yesterday i trimmed a hedge, chopped it with the my hand hedge shears and then mixed it with dried leaves to fill a 50 gallon compost bin.  Already to 100, which isn't bad since overnight temps were high 50s.

This morning, I cleared a square of defunct radishes, pushed aside bolting onions and planted the nine surviving bush green beans.  Planted the golden zucchini seeds to get them started after confirming yesterday that the green beans rotted away again.  (ugh, I realize what I just typed and that means the green beans seedlings I transplanted weren't green beans, they were the telegraph improved cukes.)  Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, been having a real struggle outside to get seedlings to not rot away if I keep them moist enough to keep them from drying out.   The news paper pots are a nice concept, but here in SoCal, I'm having quite a horrible time with them.

Anyway, time to cut this short.  I need to go salvage the cukes, if I can.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/18/2016, 4:36 pm

Yea, that's going to be a bust now I think.  My original plan was to start a bunch and take the four strongest and plant them in front of the mature row of cukes in the back after removing the onions.  I've now, attempted to move, but could tell too pulling the paper pots in and out of the SFG tended to open the pot bottoms disturbing the roots, which for cukes is no bueno.

I moved a few.  Stuck one over in a trial spot next to the bed and left four out where they were in the front corner which means if they grow they'll need to trail along the ground in front of the beds.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/18/2016, 5:37 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:Yea, that's going to be a bust now I think.  My original plan was to start a bunch and take the four strongest and plant them in front of the mature row of cukes in the back after removing the onions.  I've now, attempted to move, but could tell too pulling the paper pots in and out of the SFG tended to open the pot bottoms disturbing the roots, which for cukes is no bueno.

I moved a few.  Stuck one over in a trial spot next to the bed and left four out where they were in the front corner which means if they grow they'll need to trail along the ground in front of the beds.
Argh. Sorry to hear your plan and actions didn't line up. Did something similar to myself this year - went to transplant something (don't recall what), went out to the intended square in garden... and found myself staring at a square of garlic plants. thinking
Could you try letting them grow on pepper cages (i.e. the tomato cages that are too short for tomatoes), spiral them around the tiers, to get them at least part off the ground?
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/18/2016, 10:19 pm

sanderson wrote:95*F forecast for Wednesday!  Shocked I still don't have all of the sun shades in place and still need to seed the melons, string up the indeterminant tomatoes, and try to get some replacement herbs started.  Why is it taking me forever to get squared away this year?  
97 here today. I had the stomach yukkies all day and couldn't garden. WAAAA! Poor me! Sad Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler and hopefully I'll feel better and be able to get something done.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/19/2016, 2:57 am

Country, Hope tomorrow (Thursday) is a better day for you.

I have 3 squares of garlic where cantaloupe and butternut were planned. Amazing how we plan each square and then either memory or nature won't cooperate. Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/19/2016, 6:40 am

sanderson wrote:Amazing how we plan each square and then either memory or nature won't cooperate. Wink
darn funny
I can seriously relate to that!
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2016, 10:17 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
sanderson wrote:Amazing how we plan each square and then either memory or nature won't cooperate. Wink
darn funny
I can seriously relate to that!
CC
Same here. I gave  one square to a spaghetti squash and it said "Are you serious? I'm taking 4 - get over it!" Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/19/2016, 2:05 pm

Country, Spaghetti squash is good to trellis, otherwise, the vines keep going and going. What a Face

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2016, 4:01 pm

sanderson wrote:Country,  Spaghetti squash is good to trellis, otherwise, the vines keep going and going. What a Face
LOL! IT IS TRELLISED! I've given it a 4x4 to climb and tied it up in 2 places. I think it wants to take over the known universe.  affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2016, 7:00 pm

I got it all done, today!  Cool Transplanted all the rest of my little veggies into the sfg. Repotted a dozen small milkweed plants into 1 quart containers. Moved a spaghetti squash out of a congested square and gave it a container of its own. The poor thing isn't happy about it. I hope it survives. Now I'm taking the rest of the day off.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/19/2016, 11:10 pm

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2016, 3:36 am

Recent activity:
Mini-BTE with peppers   Embarassed  I removed the remaining chips, added homemade compost and chicken manure: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Side_e10

KY Wonder beans really climbing with the double trellis and extra interior string trellis.  Some are up 5'. This is the last bed to get sun in the spring. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Beans_10

Over-wintered orange bell: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bell_p10

Over-wintered Atkinson tomato: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Tomato23

Basraywa tomatoes with BER: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Tomato24

Millionaire Eggplants with beautiful purple flowers and deep green foliage.  Worth planting just for the colors. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Eggpla10

Cucumbers Muncher - not quite ready but tasted good.  I've never had such healthy cucumber plants with such large leaves.  They are doing good with the double trellis and interior string trellis. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Cucumb14
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Cucumb15

Overview, West to East view of former flower bed.  The dead grass will be covered with weed fabric and pine wood chips.  Sweetie's catnip has white flies so I am cutting it down.  Will spray with Neem and cover.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Back_y10

Determinants in newest table top.   Shocked  I'm really happy so far. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Tomato25

Area with 4 table tops. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Table_26

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/20/2016, 8:55 am

Sanderson ... thanks for the walk through your garden. It's lookin' good.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/20/2016, 11:55 am

Ooo, Sanderson, I LOVE your garden. Thanks for sharing. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/20/2016, 12:19 pm

So nice!  The cukes and beans are SO healthy! Those over wintered tomatoes look yummy!  Did they start flowering and/or fruiting inside?  Or maybe you didn't need to over winter them inside?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/20/2016, 2:05 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:So nice!  The cukes and beans are SO healthy! Those over wintered tomatoes look yummy!  Did they start flowering and/or fruiting inside?  Or maybe you didn't need to over winter them inside?

CC
Your beans are looking real nice as well as everything else.  Congrats on the cucumbers.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/20/2016, 2:12 pm

Wow, really nice Sanderson.  I  am envious when you speak of peppers and tomatoes overwintering (I miss that about California).  I like what you did with the PVC pipe to make A-Frame.  Nice work on everything!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/20/2016, 2:42 pm

IT'S RAINING!  rock on
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2016, 3:24 pm

countrynaturals wrote:IT'S RAINING!  rock on
I'm very happy for you.  You have a larger property with trees so you really need it.  I can squeak by.  PS:  I see room for some perimeter table tops and one in the center in your garden.  Is the contractor available for hire? Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2016, 3:27 pm

Windmere wrote:Wow, really nice Sanderson.  I  am envious when you speak of peppers and tomatoes overwintering (I miss that about California).  I like what you did with the PVC pipe to make A-Frame.  Nice work on everything!
Yes, California's milder winter climate is a big plus.  None of the PVC parts are glued so I can reconfigure as needed.

Thanks everyone.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/20/2016, 8:34 pm

sanderson wrote:
 Is the contractor available for hire? Razz
LOL! He has a to-do list 10 years long. After that, you can have him. Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/20/2016, 10:55 pm

Love your garden, Sanderson! Looks beautiful and yummy!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/20/2016, 11:08 pm

Hi Sanderson -- is there a name for the greater than 90 degree angle PVC connector pieces you used between the top and verticals? 

Your cucumbers really do look beautiful. You say they are healthier than previous years, any idea what changed vs previous years? Mine were pretty sad last year, so I'm trying 4 different varieties this year, in a different bed (and starting them myself instead of buying transplants.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2016, 11:29 pm

But he will be all worn out by then! I already have one of those. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2016, 11:40 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Hi Sanderson -- is there a name for the greater than 90 degree angle PVC connector pieces you used between the top and verticals?
45* http://www.circoinnovations.com/#!circo-fittings/c143v 

Your cucumbers really do look beautiful. You say they are healthier than previous years, any idea what changed vs previous years? Mine were pretty sad last year, so I'm trying 4 different varieties this year, in a different bed (and starting them myself instead of buying transplants.)
I don't know for sure. Varieties? No more Straight 8, only Muncher, Pickling and Apple? The whole bed is planted (2' x 4') in cucumbers only? Trellises on both sides sandwiching home made sting trellis? Great homemade compost? All started from seed like other years but for some reason they are more vigorous. Out of 16, only one dampened off and I had a replacement. But, wait! The red spider Mite will make its appearance this summer when the temps are over 100*F. What a Face

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 41 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 41  Next