Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015

+3
Kelejan
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015

Post  sanderson 8/26/2015, 3:01 pm

Welcome back. happy hi

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015 - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing August 2015

Post  Marc Iverson 8/26/2015, 4:03 pm

FRED58 wrote:
*It's not really camping in a popup trailer, but ut will have to do for now

Anytime you don't have access to a shower, it's camping. Even at the Ritz Carlton or in the Emperor's Palace or in the Starship Enterprise.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/26/2015, 5:55 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:We have had herons feeding on the goldfish in the pond.

Heheh, same with us!  They seem to favor the brightest ones, or maybe see them most easily, so the only survivors are the muddy browns.

What used to make me mad about herons where I use to live is they would spear the biggest trophy bullfrogs in the head, killing them, but of course, the frogs were too big for them to swallow, so there they lay.....dead and on the banks of the pond.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/26/2015, 6:19 pm

Welcome back, Fred58, we have missed you and you certainly have a very good explanation for your absence.

It's when you are still working and have to leave your garden, but one day you will be retired like many of us here and you will really enjoy yourself again.

Critical Path!  have not heard that expression for many years now.  My husband once explained it simply to me as  "You can't put the roof on until you have built the walls".
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/27/2015, 2:20 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
What used to make me mad about herons where I use to live is they would spear the biggest trophy bullfrogs in the head, killing them, but of course, the frogs were too big for them to swallow, so there they lay.....dead and on the banks of the pond.

I'm glad we don't get that around here. We just have the little climbing tree frogs.

Otherwise, the dogs would get at 'em in whatever state of yuckiness they were in, and I would not want piles of assorted guts or dog puke all about the place.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/27/2015, 6:32 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:

I'm glad we don't get that around here.  We just have the little climbing tree frogs.  

Otherwise, the dogs would get at 'em in whatever state of yuckiness they were in, and I would not want piles of assorted guts or dog puke all about the place.

Isn't that what some humans do?  Kill the biggest and the best that need to pass on their genes to the next generations?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/29/2015, 7:57 pm

What was I writing about when I said I thought I had the last of the apples.  They keep coming down, a bagful a day, and I am still processing them as they are the best apples. Still have the pears to process, checking them daily and have done a few jars. Someone gave me seven pounds of wonderful pickling cukes so right this moment I have  preparing the garlic to go in the jars.

Best of all, after about two weeks, I can now see our Mount Sentinel across the Columbia River and distinguish the trees on it and the outline of the mountain and the blue sky.  In addition the sun is  shining and it makes me feel so much more cheerful.

Our Downtown this Saturday morning was deserted.  I went in the Library, the Pharmacy, Mother Natures Pantry to get some Dill for my dill pickles, then the Farmers' Market that only had about three stalls there.  But all around was grey due to the smoke.  By the time I had finished chatting to the few people there and had a coffee, the sun was breaking through and more people had turned up.  We still have some local smoke but it is more like a light fog. I do hope the improvement is due to the fires south of us in Washington State are being dealt with.  We have had many fires in our area but I have not seen any as I have stayed at home.  Talking to people it seems many are complaining of headaches and sore eyes etc. I am lucky to have the optio of staying indoors.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/29/2015, 10:12 pm

Update on our weather in B.C.  Vancouver and the Lower Mainland is in a mess with windstorms blowing down many trees and blacking out about 400,000 electricity customers probably all night. Damaged houses and cars but so far no injuries.  But major flooding is forecast in places.

So far here in The Southern Interior we are forecast win gusts up to 54kph.  I am personally thankful that I no long have the old birch trees around.  I have been thankful several times since then.

On a selfish note; why is it with all these trees blown down and  the sounds of wood-chipping going on, I can never get wood chips?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2015, 2:53 am

I enjoyed your updates. If Vancouver WA had rain, maybe the fire areas will also get some rain and help control them.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/30/2015, 10:16 am

Kelejan wrote:
Marc Iverson wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:

I'm glad we don't get that around here.  We just have the little climbing tree frogs.  

Isn't that what some humans do?  Kill the biggest and the best that need to pass on their genes to the next generations?

Probably true, Kelejan! Take care in the crazy weather and smoke!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/31/2015, 1:19 am

Momma bear and two cubs visited this evening.  I really will have to reduce the apple tree so that I can reach every apple before the bears do.  One of the cubs climbed up into the branches.  He/she was sp quick.  Now I know why one should never try to climb a tree to get away from a bear.

We have had rain today for the first time in a long while.  On and off.  Fairly steady at times but I bet it has not gone deeper than a quarter of an inch.  Rain forecast for the rest of the week,  and the smoke has nearly disappeared for now.

Still lots of green tomatoes; I doubt they will ripen outdoors now so I should start bringing them in. Discovered a couple of patti pan squash.  I had lots of green leaves and thought they had not produced squash. There are some small ones coming along as well. Must find out how to cook them.  Steam?

A bag of red plums given me today. About four pounds. Still processing apples and pears and there are the seven pounds of pickling cukes to see to.  So far the only money I have spent on food is $20 for twenty pounds of peaches; the rest have been homegrown or given to me.  Main outlay was for the pressure cooker/canner, canning jars etc.  I am very happy with my first year's canning effort, but it has been non-stop work for several weeks now.  I hope I can get it all finished by the time I need to collect the fall leaves.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/31/2015, 3:41 am

KJ, Looks like you have had a great year for fresh food, plus a little ursine excitement. Rain forecast and the smoke is nearly gone.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 9/1/2015, 9:46 pm

Grizzly or Black Bear? It can be hard to tell the difference.

(That's a set up for an awful pun; play along).
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/1/2015, 11:10 pm

I would day a grizzly has a hump on its back.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3