Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019

+3
AtlantaMarie
trolleydriver
Kelejan
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 Empty CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019

Post  Kelejan 7/31/2019, 7:53 am

Well, I know what I will be doing in the next few weeks or so.

On my return the grass was several inches high so yesterday, July 30th I set about beginning the revival by setting my lawn mower on its highest setting and cutting the grass verge that fronts the road so that my home no longer looks empty.

I am starting this August section a day earlier so that I d not have to repeat myself.  No entries for July so I assume everyone has been away as well.  We will catch up in time. Hope everyone had a good July.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019

Post  trolleydriver 7/31/2019, 8:04 am

Welcome back Kelejan.  Looking forward to hearing about your trip to visit family in the UK.  

My sister was here for three weeks and we had an amazing time together.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/31/2019, 8:26 am

Kelejan!  Welcome home!!  How was the trip?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/31/2019, 9:40 am

Kelejan wrote:I am starting this August section a day earlier so that I d not have to repeat myself.  No entries for July so I assume everyone has been away as well.  We will catch up in time. Hope everyone had a good July.
I woke up early to a cool morning and a mild 10-day forecast, so I'm also starting August a day early. Nothing but gardening for this old girl this morning. bounce

welcome  home, Kel!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/31/2019, 10:13 am

TD and Atlantic Marie; thank you for the welcome back.  My trip was exhausting coming and going, apart from that it was a wonderful five weeks except for three things that families go through in their lives.  I will write more about my experiences later in the AncestryDNA thread as it is not anything to do with our gardening themes.

I did do some gardening for my dear brother in spite of his insistence that I was there to be waited on but I cannot sit still and not do something to make their lives a little easier and also doing something that I love doing.

So the second day I was there I crept down and let myself out through to their rear garden which is a lovely and  private place but needed tidying up somewhat. So I started by picking up the apple windfalls that came from the neighbours' overhanging trees, then swept the paths, dead-headed all the flowers, sorted out their bone-dry compost heap, clearing out a couple of bricks and stones and some plastic and got him and his wife to start putting in the cut up veggie scraps there instead of in the garbage. Cut all the very long bramble shoots that grew from the neighbours side of the boarder that made walking around the perimeter a bit of a nightmare.  I only did about an hour a day and they finally accepted that I did it because I wanted to and not because I felt I had to repay their kindness in looking after me hand and foot for three weeks. 

The second week I stayed with a cousin, still on the paternal side of my family, and they had a wonderful garden and we enjoyed the fresh strawberries every day I was there.  My cousin's husband has a square foot garden and it was full of good things, so I had no need to do anything their except to enjoy their largesse.

My first week was with a neice, entirely different set-up, no garden except for a tiny one as they were on a corner lot that was kept tidy by a neighbour who charged them five Pounds per week to keep the small bushy shrubs neat and tidy and trimmed the little bit of grass that was there. Theirs is a rental at the moment but they are looking for their own place to buy and that will have a larger garden; perhaps. Those were the three homes where I stayed during my five weeks.  The only other garden I had contact with was with my brother's daughter who lives in a gated community and whose yard consisted of grass, and a variety of different shrubs located around the perimeter that when they retire they will make into a proper garden, but that is years in the future.  Meanwhile it is kept near and tidy until that day. They keep the small tress well mulched and protected from their huge German Shephard puppy.  They are long-term planners.

Now I will go out into my own garden and do some "quiet" work so that I do not disturb the neighbours.  One hour only, then breakfast. More grass mowing will occur after nine a.m. if I feel up to it.

P.S. Thank you also country naturals for your welcome while I was typing the above..  Have a good day yourself.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/31/2019, 11:28 am

Dare I ask . . . pictures? Those gardens sound like something my imagination really wants to see. flower
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/31/2019, 11:37 am

I did go into the garden and managed about 20 minutes of bending down and cutting clumps of grass that could not be cut by the lawnmower. Now I want to go to sleep again but need to go out to the Women's Centre to have a coffee and say Hi! to them I will have to sleep on my return. During the summer they are only open one day a week

CD, the pictures are on my Tablet, I will do my best to learn how to transfer them to this Forum. At the moment I am overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to catch up on and I certainly have not managed to learn very much about that subject.  It seems to me that everything is different when you travel to another country. I have managed to take a number of pictures of people, places and some gardens.  I feel that once I have mastered that subject, you will get quite a lot.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/31/2019, 12:16 pm

Kelejan wrote:CD, the pictures are on my Tablet, I will do my best to learn how to transfer them to this Forum. At the moment I am overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to catch up on and I certainly have not managed to learn very much about that subject.  It seems to me that everything is different when you travel to another country. I have managed to take a number of pictures of people, places and some gardens.  I feel that once I have mastered that subject, you will get quite a lot.
Excellent! Something fun to look forward to. Take your time and rest up. reading
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2019, 7:30 pm

Great to hear your trip was fulfilling, KJ!  Missed you!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/2/2019, 12:55 pm

I have finally caught up with my sleeping patterns, to bed at 11pm last night and up at 6:00am today.

Done my urgent shopping and can now get down to getting that grass cut before the rain comes that is scheduled for tomorrow or the next day.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/2/2019, 4:38 pm

Kelejan, You're back!! smiles

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/2/2019, 5:30 pm

sanderson wrote:Kelejan, You're back!!  smiles

You noticed? LOL.

Yes, I am back, sanderson, and a very interesting five weeks it was. Some wonderful, some sad, and some very exhausting as I am not a seasoned traveller.

I have many letters to write, but the ancestry stuff I will be talking about on the AncestryDNA thread, as I have much to catch up on in the garden for a start.

Today I mowed the grass I had previously top-cut to give me a start, and it was much easier the second time around. I had decided to finish that part as cutting very long grass is  rather heavy work.  I would say I am about halfway there.  Rain is forecast tonight or tomorrow then eventually the dry weather will return.  This evening when it cools down a little, I will be picking up the numerous windfall apples that are lying around. The cherries were a dead loss as they had not had any rain so they dried up on the tree .Last night I gave the appletree a good soaking so I hope the remaining apples will benefit. At least the place is now looking as though some one lives there.  So many things to sort out when one takes a five week vacation. .
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/3/2019, 3:10 am

I am so looking forward to Ancestry DNA! Hopefully, someone can help you with posting the photos. Someone like a friend's 12 year old grandchild. Very Happy I don't know a thing about Android.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/3/2019, 3:41 am

sanderson wrote:I am so looking forward to Ancestry DNA!  Hopefully, someone can help you with posting the photos.  Someone like a friend's 12 year old grandchild.  Very Happy  I don't know a thing about Android.

I wish I could grant your desire to see photos etc, sanderson.  I certainly cannot learn as I did when I was young, sigh! I also have a photostik to try and see the photos that were taken during my second week, I would hate to have them swallowed up and lost. I know they say that all you have to do is insert it in the appropriate slot.

Yesterday, Friday, I was not able to go out in the evening to collect windfall apples as I fell asleep on my recliner and woke at about 7:15pm, wondering whether it was  afternoon of the same day or tomorrow morning.  I did not want to move a I was still tired, and it seemed a bit short sighted to carry on and make myself even more tired so I settled back to sleep a bit more and watch the news on TV.  Now it really is Saturday, and I need to catch the 8:58am bus to go to my cheaper supermarket to stock up on things I need.  I did my urgent shopping yesterday morning and I wish I had gone to my usual place where the same items are so much less expensive so that I would not have to shop again this coming morning.

So it seems I have not yet adjusted to Pacific Standard time yet.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/8/2019, 2:13 am

It's hard to adjust between the North America and European time zones. sawing logs

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/8/2019, 5:29 am

Finally I managed to get all my very long grass down to a manageable length and now I have started tidying up the rest of the garden that has continued to grow out of control in spite of not seeing much water over the last few weeks.

Yesterday I felt the most energetic that I have for some time and early in the morning I started clearing some of the rampant growth around the perimeter of my garden and the surrounds of my little house. Still a long way to go but early morning and just before dark I can manage some work.  This week the temps have been in the upper 30s, and due to reach 37Cthis coming afternoon  before some rain is due this weekend.

I was able to harvest some garlic which to my surprise looked dead, but there were sizeable bulbs in the ground so at least I will have some harvest. There are thousands of apples on my tree and I am picking up a bucketful daily.  All it needs is a brisk wind and I will have bucketfuls in minutes.  I have given that tree as much water as I could and I hope to get some bigger and sweeter apples in time. This was the tree that was originally to be cut down then I gave it wood chips and now can get lovely apples from it.,  One problem is that it is too near the edge of my garden and my neighbours gets too many windfalls, do not complain, just leaves them there
so I pick them up. there used to be a bank where the apples rolled back down do my garden and were also protected by the long grass, but now fall onto to their concrete driveway and split.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/9/2019, 3:46 am

We are projected to have 3 days with temps 67-90*F (19-32*C) so I will have some nice cool mornings to get some badly needed clean-up in the garden done. Makes me feel 10 years younger when it's cool. Well, maybe 6 months younger.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/9/2019, 10:37 am

sanderson wrote:We are projected to have 3 days with temps 67-90*F (19-32*C) so I will have some nice cool mornings to get some badly needed clean-up in the garden done.  Makes me feel 10 years younger when it's cool.  Well, maybe 6 months younger.
LOL! Same here. Already dressed and ready to get to work ... uh, well, first things first. reading
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/9/2019, 8:26 pm

Kelejan wrote:Finally I managed to get all my very long grass down to a manageable length and now I have started tidying up the rest of the garden that has continued to grow out of control in spite of not seeing much water over the last few weeks.

Yay, you! A little at a time and you'll conquer those weeds!!!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/10/2019, 4:17 pm

Today I did about two hours work weeding, in stges, due to the weather forecast of rain and thunderstorms.

Well, the rain has reached me after I stopped half and hour ago and the rain is coming down nicely  There is a thunderstorm watch as well, with instructions to stay indoor so I am being good and doing what I am told...Very satisfying when some work can be done before the rain comes and I am all packed up and the tools put away and the weeds place on the compost heap.

I expect two days rest before I can continue. Time to get on with indoor things.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/10/2019, 11:18 pm

Great plan! You've earned a nice break. I'm taking a day off weeding tomorrow also. CANADIAN REGION: what are you doing in August 2019 3170584802
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/11/2019, 3:03 am

Midnight: and a thunderclap that shook the house and the rain is pouring down in a solid mass with no wind at the moment.

Definitely no weeding tomorrow so I can take a rest. When the rain stops I will be able to plant ssome seeds in the cleared bed.  The smoke that was beginning to accuilate from the forset fires to the west and south of us will be cleared for a while. tomorrow, Sunday, will be many showers than by Monday should be able to get out into the garden again amd be able to work comfortably in 24C heat for the rest of the week.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/12/2019, 4:13 pm

Rained heavily last night which meant I did not have to do any watering.  The grass and weeds are drying so in a little while I will be able to do another stint of weed pulling and picking up apple windfalls.  Temperature is much better for doing physical work, about 24C for the rest of the week.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/13/2019, 8:32 pm

Glad you dodged the worst of it, Kelejan!  Weather here is seasonable, still hotties (not in comparison to some folks!) but good, dry.  Wish I had an apple tree.  I have a winter pear tree which the squirrels usually beat me to!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/22/2019, 11:26 am

Doesn't time fly when you have too much to do?  My main task at the moment is to pick up the windfall apples each day, especially the ones that fall on to my neighbour's driveway.  Before my very first neighbour, old Art, there used to be a lovely grassy bank between us that sloped my way so that the windfalls fell on the lovely grassy slope and they were undamaged and easy to pick. So no apple ever fell on to has driveway.

That was fine for some years, until he passed away, his son felled all the trees and shrubs that kept both our homes quite private ,then sold the property and the new nighbours promptly built a huge deck overlooking my garden and so the former blacktop driveway was changed for a much wider concrete one and as my tree was still growing,and really was a little too near the boundary, many apples fell on the concrete and were ruined.  My neighbours never pick up any apples, (I don't blame them) and as there is no fence between us, I go across and pick them up.

I have tried to lessen the apples falling their way by cutting any overhanging branches but since placing wood chips under that tree it has grown in leaps and bounds. A good testimony  to the use of wood chips. I intend, when the leaves fall, to really have a go at the tree and chop off lots of branches.

Which reminds me that last year I gave some wood chips to my neighbour as I knew he had a stand of raspberries in a kind of hollow. Recently as I passed by his  house, he was sitting outside and I asked him how his raspberries were doing and he was happy with all the new growth and that next year he expects the yield to be much higher. I told him that with my apple tree it took the second year to really see the results and by the third year even better.

The other task I have been working on is canning peaches; this morning I will process the last four one-litre jars and then I will have a total of twenty  in my  store cupboard.

Then it is back to weeding the garden etc.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum