Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 Toplef10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 I22gcj10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 Toplef10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 I22gcj10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China

+12
Escaped Lunatic
Marc Iverson
TCgardening
plantoid
CapeCoddess
Windmere
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
walshevak
BeckieSueDalton
boffer
Goosegirl
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/2/2015, 11:47 pm

I didn't think the final bag of vermiculite would arrive for 3-4 days, so went ahead and set up the next box yesterday afternoon.  About an hour ago, the newest (and modestly better) vermiculite arrived. No

In any event, now I just need to find some anti-rat screen and plant the seeds.  cheers
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Male Posts : 71

http://www.escapedlunatic.com

Back to top Go down

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/13/2015, 5:48 am

I am pleased to report the presence of 4 bean seedlings. Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 3170584802 

I hurried them along by scratching their seed coats and giving them a quick 10 minute soak.  Any of the remaining 4 that don't sprout in the next few days will be re-planted.

Still need to dig out my tomato and chard seeds.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/13/2015, 8:14 am

Woo-Hoo!  Congratulations!

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 3170584802
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/13/2015, 11:09 am

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/14/2015, 4:04 am

EL,
The old British gardeners answer to stopping squirrels ,rats , mice & birds stealing newly planted beans & peas seeds was to soak them in paraffin for 24 hrs before sowing them.

The simpler way is to start the seeds off indoors in small pots or tubes & only put them out when they are 2 inches tall , still protecting them from bird and squirrels etc. with netting etc.

I sow almost everything to get them started save for carrots & other long root crops like this.

If such small pots are hard come by you may wish to use 2-3 " diameter old sink waste water drain pipe cut to 3 " length and stuff the bottoms with a square of 1/2" thick hard cell foam . Being small they don't take up much space  ,  better still they don't use a lot of compost.
 I think you can view some post if you put " Planting in tubes " in the site search box
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/15/2015, 10:09 pm

Yay for you, Lunatic! I always soak my beans overnight in room temp water before planting. No problems with germination on time doing that.

cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/15/2015, 11:24 pm

The seeds I'm using are from other bean plants I grew earlier in the year.  I think some of them were left in an area which was too hot.  Ran outside during a rainstorm yesterday and planted 4 more that were recently harvested.

I haven't done tube planting (yet).  I think I'll need to wait for cooler weather.  I have done seedlings in small peat-pots, but those dry out very quickly in the heat of summer (but perhaps Mel's mix will be enough to overcome this issue thinking ).

If nothing too weird comes up today, I've got to look through my seeds in the fridge and see what I've got in the tomato and chard categories.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/18/2015, 4:41 am

And it's fully planted.  Now to patiently wait ( bounce ) and see what happens.

Just for comparison, I replanted beans in all the pots I've been growing those in.  Should be interesting to compare growth rates and productivity.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/18/2015, 7:30 am

The waiting game.....love it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/19/2015, 6:57 am

I lost one of the initial 4 beans in the experimental box.  2 more have sprouted, giving me 5 of 8 so far.  There are also beans sprouting in pots with more conventional dirt (modestly compost augmented).  Another day or two and I'll replant anywhere without sprouts.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/19/2015, 4:38 pm

Planting them thickly certainly helps make sure that iffy germination doesn't leave you way behind your harvesting goals. But if they all sprout, a thick bunch of intertwined beans can be really hard to work and harvest without breaking stems and knocking off flowers all the time. And a half-successful planting may shade out the space you still want to fill with some more seeds for another try.

Hope you find a good balance. It can take a good number of plants to keep a steady supply coming in, at least if you like beans as much as I do.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 8/19/2015, 8:02 pm

Hi Lunatic,
 So what type of bean do you grow in China? I feel your pain with the roof rats, they are the nemesis to all gardeners.
Craig
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2015, 2:59 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:The waiting game.....love it!
+1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/23/2015, 3:43 am

Replacements planted in the box for those that didn't sprout and some more in the other pots. Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 3170584802

Ummm... Not sure exactly what they are called, since the seed packages are written in what I refer to as squiggle (in China, I get to experience being illiterate every day).  In any event, they are pole beans with exceptionally long pods.  For simplicity's sake, I use the incredibly precise term "long beans" to differentiate them from the normal length  of beans.  Here's a pic of some of the first ones I grew in 2012, along with some peppers.

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 BeansAndPeppersHarvested

Later, I started favoring the purple variety.  This is from last year.  The short ones are a bush type.

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 AssortedBeans

And, since you've all been so patient and supportive, here's a worldwide exclusive - the first published photo of my Rectangular Foam Box Garden, complete with just sprouting beans, broken disposable chopstick pieces to remind me where I planted them, and an assortment of chopped and/or shredded leaves from other plants to make a very very inadequate first attempt at mulch which looks more like things that accidentally blew in than any form of deliberate placement.

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 BeansSproutingInBox
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/23/2015, 4:04 am

The short purple beans look just like royal burgundy beans. A little funky, maybe from uneven watering or water absorption or water depletion(lots of drying wind).
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/23/2015, 4:31 am

I think you're right on that.  I picked up some seeds while visiting the US and the bush beans were from one of those packages.  "Royal" something sounds correct.

The problem I have (which I hope MM solves) is that the roof is amazingly hot in the summer and isn't exactly cool anytime but winter.  Even the larger pots dry out very quickly.

Regarding that, I began the first phase of an experiment today.  I saved the can from some imported spaghetti sauce (metal food cans are also not common here).  It's a common 24 ounce can.  In one pot that has a tea bush that's not doing so well (and some thriving sorghum to the side), I twisted the can down into the soil and removed a can-full of dirt.  That's now been replaced by Mel's Mix.  My hope is that this helps to create a nice little water and nutrient reservoir, hopefully leading to happier plants.

Unless something goes terribly wrong in that pot, I'm planning to start doing this in other pots.  For those where there's not a lot of roots in the way, I may do 2 or 3 cans full and see how the existing plants like it.  For those with no plants in them, the percent replacement will be higher.  (Yeah, in theory I should do a total replacement, but that's a LOT of dirt to replace and I'm saving up compost for the next few foam boxes.)
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/23/2015, 5:33 am

Every little bit helps, but be prepared to see your roots suddenly circle and stop short on the border of inferior soil. High-nutrient soil, or the general sort of soil a potted plant might come in, both should be blended in to the surrounding soil rather than left as is, creating a sharp dividing line between "good" and "ordinary" or "bad" soil. Plants may stop sending out roots at the transition line, if a transition line you make, and circle back as if they were actually in a pot.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/23/2015, 6:27 am

Some of the plants are too big to even consider transplanting.  Guess I'll have to see what methods I can come up with to improve their soil conditions without accidentally making things worse.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/23/2015, 10:25 am

But they still look good, EL!  Congratulations!

You might look at Cappy's post on his yard-long beans too.  He may have some advice for you....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/23/2015, 12:35 pm

Escaped Lunatic wrote:Here's a pic of some of the first ones I grew in 2012, along with some peppers.
Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 BeansAndPeppersHarvested
Later, I started favoring the purple variety.  This is from last year.  The short ones are a bush type.
Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 AssortedBeans

Could they be Chinese Noodle Beans since you are in China.
Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 2 Chines11
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/24/2015, 6:18 am

For reasons I can't fully fathom, the Chinese name for them translates either as "corner beans" or "angle beans". thinking
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/24/2015, 10:51 am

EL, I planted the Red Noodle beans last year. A novelty for passersby to see. What I liked the best was ease of harvesting as they stand out and dinner with a handful of beans.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 8/25/2015, 5:59 am

Most of what I've got planted are the dark red ones.  I've also got some plain green ones.  At the village market, I've seen some other varieties.  Maybe at some point I'll see if I can drive people there crazy by purchasing only 1 or 2 of the oldest looking beans of each type to get seeds from. Very Happy
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/25/2015, 6:18 am

sanderson wrote:EL, I planted the Red Noodle beans last year. A novelty for passersby to see. What I liked the best was ease of harvesting as they stand out and dinner with a handful of beans.

Refresh us -- why only a novelty for passersby to see? That sounds as damning a faint praise as I could imagine. What didn't work out?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/25/2015, 9:44 am

Passive advertising, my friend.  "Look, the Anderson's have funny red strings growing!  Are those beans??"  The SFG is in the back yard.  I didn't like them as much as DT, KW and Rattlesnake, so I didn't plant any this year.  The RS are the novelties this year.  The public sidewalk is on the other side of the fence from the beans and trellises.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next