Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Toplef10Scruffy’s thumb is turning green 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Scruffy’s thumb is turning green I22gcj10Scruffy’s thumb is turning green 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Toplef10Scruffy’s thumb is turning green 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Scruffy’s thumb is turning green I22gcj10Scruffy’s thumb is turning green 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Scruffy’s thumb is turning green

4 posters

Go down

Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Empty Scruffy’s thumb is turning green

Post  scruffyfeathers Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:40 pm

After I retire from my daily tasks I generally spend some quality time after dinner surfing this site. I get lost in looking at many of the SFG pics of some rather envious gardens. Y’all have given me so many ideas. I do wish I had a plan before I started this venture. By including your ideas I am certain that next years garden will be a bountiful delight. You see, my goal is not only to augment our income but also to take pride in the fruits of my labor. True, a garden is seasonal but the pride can last forever.

I started out with some very rough land. Most of my posts have been about my chicken run and just a few segments regarding my garden. Actually, my garden is the primary focal point of my objective. Eggs, Chickens and Steers were an after thought yet I spent so much time in clearing land for them. Go figure. 

Growing veggies in my own Garden WAS/IS Number One. My closest friends seemed to think was a rather peculiar venture for me because the only thing I have ever managed to grow in my life is a beard. Even then, most of the time it looks scruffy so I typically lose it after a month or so after trying to shape it into something that looks presentable. It never works out.

Well, my garden is coming together at last. Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Yard_a11 As I posted before, I managed to get everything in the ground during the week of May 15. The journey to the 15th was laborious. We have a lot of land but only a very small portion was cut out to accommodate the house and yard. The rest of the land was left to Mother Nature to use as she saw fit.

Our front yard measured 200’ wide by 300’ deep Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Yard_a12and was reasonably taken care of by the realty company. Our back yard was left to the imagination of the new owner. To give you an idea, the back yard of our property had been manicured only about 70 feet out from the back of the house. However, the tree line sets another 250 feet beyond that and this area between was allowed to accommodate the whim and caprice of natural selection.

The ground was uneven. Thicket, thistle, Formosa and Wisteria stood firm with their roots planted deep. After a January rain I learned not to enter without boots. Standing water or squishy footing lasted for days. While a tangled soggy mess indeed, it lie true East and West in full sunlight. With regards to a perfect a site for a garden, who could ask for anything more?

Because I had no set plan I never thought of recording my progress. Now that I see what I have accomplished, I wish I had. Be that as it may, I popped in the earbuds and with Puccini’s Turandot setting the pace, as Calàf, certain of his victory, Mother Nature would soon yield and the garden would be mine.

We moved from a small lot in the city with absolutely no equipment to take on such a challenge. Enter Li’le Red, my Missouri mule. url=https://servimg.com/view/19235712/62]Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Yard_a13[/url] A true friend helping us move arrived on the final day with Li’le Red on his trailer and announced that it was a house warming gift. I insisted on making some amends. After several beers and glasses of tea (I don’t drink) he agreed to accept a pittance reflecting Li’le Red’s true value.

Hell is indeed a terrible place; just ask li’le Red, for I have dragged him through it many times over. I have far exceeded the manufacture’s design applications for this equipment many fold. While clearing the area I would find many a treasure. Nonsensical stuff such as steel beams, scaffolding, blocks and bricks.

After Pee Wee and I made a mess of things with our rented backhoes [img]   [url=https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/23/57/12/peewee10.jpg[/img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/23/57/12/peewee10.jpg[/img][/url[/url]]  Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Peewee11we called in the services of a local farmer to disc the lumps of clay and added forest top soil that I had added in hopes of dropping the PH from 7.5. As a general contractor I still have a transit so I was able to create a grade to drain the land to the North East corner. Using the scaffolding and some railroad spikes I made a harrow for the fine grading Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Thefar10  which li’le Red tirelessly pulled back and forth.

We have accomplished much. The land would not perk but now after a firm rain  Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Yard_a14 five minutes later there is not any standing water.  Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Garden10

To be sure, my garden pales to the fantastic specimens posted on this site. I take solace only in knowing that this is a learning experience. It can only get better from here. I have researched many of your posts to learn the do’s and don’ts from our members. The information is helping me considerably. Before years end I will have my garden, chickens and beef (Brenda refuses to raise pigs - how she puts up with me is anyone’s guess for I can be a bit messy at times).

Anyway, here is my gardenurl=https://servimg.com/view/19235712/68]Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Yard_a15[/url] as of 32 days from the initial sowing of the first seed. It is not much,Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Yard_a16 but it is my starting point and I have many of you to thank for the guidance.

Scruffy.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Male Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Scruffy’s thumb is turning green Empty Re: Scruffy’s thumb is turning green

Post  Kelejan Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:46 am

Scruffy, you amaze me.  Keep going. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:31 am

Rooting for you and your wife! Looking good. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:28 am

Wow, Scruffy...  All that nice, flat, open space in the front yard.  What a nice setup.  I can think of SO MANY things to do with a canvas like that!

Everything looks great!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scruffyfeathers Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:41 am

That is Brenda's playground. Right now it is too hot for her to venture out but she has all sorts of ideas. Her thumb is much greener than mine and her ability to plan ahead typically produces results that do look quite nice.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Male Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down