Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Scruffy has Much to Learn Toplef10Scruffy has Much to Learn 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Scruffy has Much to Learn I22gcj10Scruffy has Much to Learn 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Scruffy has Much to Learn Toplef10Scruffy has Much to Learn 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Scruffy has Much to Learn I22gcj10Scruffy has Much to Learn 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Scruffy has Much to Learn

+9
vortex
Kelejan
sanderson
Judy McConnell
AtlantaMarie
kauairosina
Windmere
boffer
scruffyfeathers
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scruffy has Much to Learn Empty Scruffy has Much to Learn

Post  scruffyfeathers 6/9/2015, 10:09 pm

What the red arrow is pointing to is a man made ant hill. I know for fact that it is man made because I am the one that made it. Scruffy has Much to Learn Ant_hi10

Several times a day I will take Timmy Scruffy has Much to Learn Timmy_10 into the forest to collect several loads of top soil from the forest floor. The decayed matt covering the ground is about 3 to 4 inches thick. It has a PH reading on the acidic side due to the dominant trees being pine. Mixed in are plenty of old black leaves from hardwood saplings and scrub brush of yesteryear. This is the only amendment I use for the clay soil dominating my garden which has a neutral PH reading from 7 to 7.5.

I use a 5/8 mesh to sieve out twigs, rocks and other unwanted debris and discard the waste into a neat little pile to be disposed of at a later date. This particular pile is about a month old so yesterday I decided to load it up on Timmy and haul it back into the woods.

After piercing the mound with my shovel I noticed ants had used the ready made mound as their residence. Little tiny black ants and most impressive was their numbers. I had once read that it was not uncommon for ant colonies to have a population exceeding a million. Well, this mound had to be the New York City of Antsville. Millions of the little critters scurrying hither, thither and yon in a confused panic as I scooped away the walls of their city.

After the third shovel full I hit a carpet of white. Eggs: again, millions of them. I was awestruck and actually impressed that one little queen laid so many eggs in so little time. (here is an interesting side bar: Did you know that the weight of the total Ant Population actually exceeds the combined weight of every human on this blue marble?) Anyway, I was intrigued and was actually thinking of the complexity of an ant colony when as I removed the shovelhead from the center of the mound I caught a glimpse a huge grayish looking ant moving down from the center of the hill. With the speed and agility I thought to have abandoned me many, many years ago I pivoted, raised the shovel and brought it crashing down on the creature just as it reached the bottom of the hill.

This thing was huge! Its exceptional size answered my questions as to how one colony could have amassed such numbers in only a few weeks. Hundreds of the tiny ants were crawling all over it. They looked really, really mad. I actually stood back about five or six feet away for fear that one of the little guys would put two and two together; point at me and exclaim: “He Killed Dorothy!

I looked around and found a stick a little more than a foot long. Cautiously I began to poke at it while keeping a close eye on the hundreds of thousands of ants now covering the immediate area. With the exception of two of its legs curled up under it there was no indication that I had smacked it with the shovel. Perhaps I only stunned it. I poked at it some more and the curled legs rolled out from under it. I jumped back and waited for it to start running toward me. It just sat there. The concentration of the tiny little ants was growing around the base of the mound. With a longer stick I flicked it farther away from the mound. I had to get a picture of this thing but the camera was in the house.

Knowing ants can easily lift 100 times their weight and withstand pressures exceeding 5000 times their weight (I read a lot) I looked around for a suitable restrainer to hold it in place while I went for the camera.

I pulled a slat from a broken pallet near by and gently laid it across the top of the ant. I didn’t want to crush it. This could be my fifteen minutes of fame. I intended on calling the news station as well as the exchange office hoping someone there could identify the species.

I retrieved the camera as well as a pair of thick leather welding gloves. I stepped lightly as I approached the board. Would it still be there? Had it gotten away? The latter question bothered me so I began scanning over a wide area of my approach.

I was about ten feet away and could see that the slat was still resting on the top of the ant. I actually held my breath as I carefully and cautiously removed the restraining slat. I needed something of a standard size for a comparison photo. I pulled the pack of Pall Mall 100’s from my pocket and scooted it (using a stick) next to the monster. Here is the photo.Scruffy has Much to Learn Chicke16 I wanted to get a picture of the underside as well. I put my welder’s gloves on and using a stick about the size of a pencil I rolled it over. As I mentioned earlier I was curious as to it origin. I had my answer to that question. In block letters across the thorax was one word: “JAPAN”. I was infuriated, humiliated but oddly enough, relieved.

I picked up my cigarettes and walked back to the house. Brenda was anxiously awaiting. I told her of my discovery and she, rightly so, began laughing hysterically. With a raised finger and a stern note in my voice I attempted to admonish her and told her: “Not one word of this to your father”. With tears from laughter rolling down the sides of her face she shook her head and said: “I love you very much, but I can’t make that promise“.

That was yesterday. Today I have taken several calls from relatives asking to speak with the famous “ant killer”. Even Mark from Cedar Creek Farms Brenda’s cousin) called to ask if I could help trap a bug that had killed half his chicken flock and a coyote.

Now that the cat is out of the bag and I am the laughing stock of Upson and Spalding county I figured it was only fair to let you, my SFG family in on the laugh. The story is 100% true - as much as I hate to admit it, it is an actual surrender of yesterday’s events.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Male Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Scruffy has Much to Learn Empty Re: Scruffy has Much to Learn

Post  boffer 6/9/2015, 11:06 pm

yahoo

You had me going there for a minute. I'm glad you escaped alive!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 6/9/2015, 11:14 pm

You had me going there too!  My daughter just came in and asked me why I was smiling and shaking my head....
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Scruffy has Much to Learn Empty Scruffy

Post  kauairosina 6/9/2015, 11:45 pm

What a Great! story.   Thanks for the laughs.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/10/2015, 9:19 am

Oh, my!  Poor Scruffy...!

At least you didn't get eaten...  Razz
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 6/10/2015, 9:53 am

Poor Scruffy - sounds like "somebody" set you up.  All in the life of a gardener???
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2015, 12:24 am

Excellent story! Scruffy has Much to Learn 3170584802 I know the rubber ant was just that, but it's the way you tell it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  scruffyfeathers 6/11/2015, 1:44 am

sanderson wrote:Excellent story! Scruffy has Much to Learn 3170584802   I know the rubber ant was just that, but it's the way you tell it.

Thank you. Sanderson.  Life is short and I am finally learning to enjoy the gift we have been given. Having a good laugh at my own expense is no longer a problem. I am glad you enjoyed the story. As silly as it may sound, it actually happened just the way I told it.

I don’t wear my glasses while working outside. Although I am not blind I do miss some detail. Adding to that, I am a compulsive reader. Subject matter is not important. If it is in print and within arms length the chances are I will read the note, article or tag.

I have read about ants as large as 5.5 cm and it is not uncommon for the queen to be 40 to 60% larger. Additionally, I pulled that material from the woods. I have 18 acres of pines with a scattering of hardwoods to pull the much needed top soil from. There are ATV trails throughoutScruffy has Much to Learn Trails10 (Some day soon I intend to decorate the trails and build a few bridgesScruffy has Much to Learn Trails11 so Brenda can ride her chair on them).

I was near the center of the woods and well off trail when I gathered the top soil. Now I ask you, what are the odds that some kid lost a rubber ant way back there? Also, while sifting the soil I never spotted the ant in the mix.

I am not a foolish man but on that day I was certainly made a fool. Nonetheless, I am glad I had an opportunity to share the story.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2015, 1:57 am

I know what you mean about not having glasses on. I quickly scrolled down to the photo and then returned to the top to read the story. I thought the photo was a Camel Scorpion! Embarassed Scruffy has Much to Learn Cartoo10

PS I am not showing your acreage to my husband. He would be quading all day.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 6/11/2015, 2:37 am

Sandersen - Quading? Wvas dat?
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2015, 2:56 am

Me on husband's Quad: Scruffy has Much to Learn 100_5410

Edit: Ops, me on rental Quad, his is in the background. This is his newest off-road toy, a Razor: Scruffy has Much to Learn Razor10

Last edited by sanderson on 6/11/2015, 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Error)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/11/2015, 7:57 am

Scruffy, what a wonderful property you have.  So lucky to get a second chance to acquire it.

Rosina, when I read the word quading, I also wondered what it meant as I read it phonetically  in my mind as  qwayding instead of quadding and I knew what that meant.  Possibly something to do with doubling the last consonant before adding  the -ing?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/11/2015, 8:23 am

Sanderson - is that a "boy with his toy?"

Scruffy - Being able to laugh at myself is one of the things that has kept my marriage together, lol.  That's one of the things that DH & I talk about.  If we couldn't laugh at ourselves...  well, our lives would be quite different than it is now!

And, I agree, that's a GREAT property!  I'm quite jealous...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 6/11/2015, 12:36 pm

What a delight you are to have on this forum Scruffy.

I thought quads was about the opiates!!

What fun to see other aspects of our online friends, whom we will surely never see in person.

Aloha
Kauairosina
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 6/11/2015, 3:20 pm

sanderson wrote:I know what you mean about not having glasses on.  I quickly scrolled down to the photo and then returned to the top to read the story.  I thought the photo was a Camel Scorpion!   Embarassed  Scruffy has Much to Learn Cartoo10

PS  I am not showing your acreage to my husband.  He would be quading all day.

Well, so much for sleep for the next month.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/11/2015, 8:01 pm

Razz

That's what I thought the first time I saw a tomato hornworm picture here on the forum. I had never heard of them. I still can't believe the size of those suckers!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 6/11/2015, 9:49 pm

I pictured Richard Whitmark in the 1950's movie "Them"
[url=content6.flixster.com/movie/10/91/34/10913472_det.jpg]Them[/url]
Unfortunately we have some invasive invaders that are taking over down here.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/18/80/34/21/carrib11.jpg
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  scruffyfeathers 6/12/2015, 12:22 am

Kelejan wrote:Scruffy, what a wonderful property you have.  So lucky to get a second chance to acquire it.

Rosina, when I read the word quading, I also wondered what it meant as I read it phonetically  in my mind as  qwayding instead of quadding and I knew what that meant.  Possibly something to do with doubling the last consonant before adding  the -ing?
Thanks, we are very thankful for the second opportunity.  The actual selling point (in my mind) is that there is a 30 x 44 foot concrete pad next to the garden. 
I plan to build a small workshop and a large outdoor kitchen on the pad.  This won't happen until next year but the plans are on the drawing board. 
The pad has been slightly undermined by water so I can't put a structure on it but I can build a post and beam around it.  The power company here actually gives away old telephone  and power poles.  Some as long as 70 feet.  This will cut the cost considerably so the plan is very doable with our budget.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  scruffyfeathers 6/12/2015, 12:25 am

sanderson wrote:I know what you mean about not having glasses on.  I quickly scrolled down to the photo and then returned to the top to read the story.  I thought the photo was a Camel Scorpion!   Embarassed  Scruffy has Much to Learn Cartoo10

PS  I am not showing your acreage to my husband.  He would be quading all day.

With or without glasses, that critter would have had me running to the house and getting a camera would have been the furthest though from my mind! Laughing
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  scruffyfeathers 6/12/2015, 12:26 am

TCgardening wrote:I pictured Richard Whitmark in the 1950's movie "Them"
[url=content6.flixster.com/movie/10/91/34/10913472_det.jpg]Them[/url]
Unfortunately we have some invasive invaders that are taking over down here.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/18/80/34/21/carrib11.jpg

I remember the movie well.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  scruffyfeathers 6/12/2015, 12:30 am

kauairosina wrote:What a delight you are to have on this forum Scruffy.

What fun to see other aspects of our online friends, whom we will surely never see in person.

Aloha
Kauairosina

Cool I suspect at some point in time we will all meet.  It will be a gathering I am sure we all will enjoy.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/12/2015, 1:05 am

scruffyfeathers wrote:
kauairosina wrote:What a delight you are to have on this forum Scruffy.

Aloha
Kauairosina

Cool I suspect at some point in time we will all meet.  It will be a gathering I am sure we all will enjoy.
The first one to  win a few millions on the lottery gets to choose the venue. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/12/2015, 2:25 am

http://www.livescience.com/40025-camel-spiders-facts.html

Tomato worms - I'm afraid of them. I'm just positive that that horn is a "stinger". Shocked Thank goodness the mockingbirds eat them (along with many of the Japanese beetles in the roses).

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/13/2015, 1:54 am

Pretty funny Scruffy! I would have a heart attack if I saw something that big.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/13/2015, 8:13 am

boffer wrote:Razz

That's what I thought the first time I saw a tomato hornworm picture here on the forum.  I had never heard of them.  I still can't believe the size of those suckers!
I can't believe the size of the banana slugs! Aren't those out your way, offer? 

Scruffy, what a great writer you are! I hope you're sending stories into magazines so everyone can enjoy them. 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next