Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Toplef10Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? I22gcj10Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Toplef10Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? I22gcj10Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...?

+8
has55
camprn
quiltbea
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Turan
AtlantaMarie
TSHRED
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Empty Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...?

Post  TSHRED 1/18/2015, 10:51 am

I'm sure there is no "rule" on this but what's considered high enough and what's too tall.
TSHRED
TSHRED

Male Posts : 108

http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Empty Re: Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...?

Post  TSHRED 1/18/2015, 1:18 pm

I am going with 5 feet tall. I think that is just about right for my raised beds. I'm still gonna need a step ladder to reach the top but 5 feet seems about right and that is what trellis netting size seems to be for the most part (my beds are 6 feet wide).

Last edited by TSHRED on 1/18/2015, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
TSHRED
TSHRED

Back to top Go down

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Empty Re: Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...?

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/18/2015, 1:21 pm

Depends on what you're growing.  Grew some luffa gourds that would have been overjoyed w/ a 50' tall trellis.  Since ours is only 10', they spread out.  A LOT!!!

My pole beans seemed pretty happy w/ 10', but would have gone further up if allowed.

Watermelons/cantaloupes/honeydews tried to grab our neighbor's boat 20' away.  AND they tried to grab our Airstream.  This was after they hit 10'...

So - how high can you reach?  Are you okay w/ ladders if necessary?  Do you have room to put a ladder if necessary?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/18/2015, 1:25 pm

5 foot is about what I keep those plants at.  Some people let their tomatoes grow much taller.  Have you thought about making an arch using cattle panels or some such?  THat keeps them from being too tall yet gives the plants plenty of room to sprawl if that is needed.  Kay does that and also put in trellis that is slanted so it is not too tall for her but still plenty of growth room.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  TSHRED 1/18/2015, 2:00 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Depends on what you're growing.  Grew some luffa gourds that would have been overjoyed w/ a 50' tall trellis.  Since ours is only 10', they spread out.  A LOT!!!

My pole beans seemed pretty happy w/ 10', but would have gone further up if allowed.

Watermelons/cantaloupes/honeydews tried to grab our neighbor's boat 20' away.  AND they tried to grab our Airstream.  This was after they hit 10'...

So - how high can you reach?  Are you okay w/ ladders if necessary?  Do you have room to put a ladder if necessary?

My beds are raised up to about 3 feet to start. So 8 feet in total height with 5 foot trellis seems about right I think for tomato and cucumber.
TSHRED
TSHRED

Back to top Go down

Post  TSHRED 1/18/2015, 2:05 pm

Turan wrote:5 foot is about what I keep those plants at.  Some people let their tomatoes grow much taller.  Have you thought about making an arch using cattle panels or some such?  THat keeps them from being too tall yet gives the plants plenty of room to sprawl if that is needed.  Kay does that and also put in trellis that is slanted so it is not too tall for her but still plenty of growth room.

I have limited space so an arch would be tough plus the beds are raised three feet off the ground.

I ordered the trellis netting and will build frames from 3/4" metal conduit pipe. Each trellis will measure about 5 feet tall and 6 feet wide. My beds are about 4' x 5.5'
TSHRED
TSHRED

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/18/2015, 3:47 pm

As you can see from the replies, trellis height is personal, partially plant variety-driven, and can be changed out depending on the plant or sun need.

Going straight from The book, 1/2" EMC is cheap, plenty strong, cheap, lasts forever, cheap, and comes in pre-cut 5' and 10' lengths.  Did I mention cheap and pre-cut sizes?  The EMC elbows are kind of expensive but have set screws to hold the pieces together, last forever, and can be reused.

One caution is that if you use rebar sections pounded part way into the dirt-dirt, make sure the EMC can slip over, so use the correct sized re-bar.  When rebar is cut into different lengths, there is a little tail that bends outward and unless you beat it to death with a 50 ounce hammer to get the tail back in line, you will not be able to slip the EMC over it.  Embarassed

Or, install 1" sections of thick PVC pipe at the corners, inside or outside the boxes, where ever, to hold the upright trellises in place.  Easy to change out, good to insert 1/2" PVC or EMC pipe sections in for trellis or tulle support. Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Table_12

If you don't want to try a cattle panel arch, you can make a squared-off arch with 2 EMC horizontal sections reaching from trellis to trellis and beyond.  2 EMC sections slightly narrower than the 2 upright trellis, pre-stretched with trellis netting, held in a rectangular position with 4 elbows.  Then set spanning across 2 upright trellises, strapped in place with green stretchy tape, twine, etc.  It's fun to see melons and winter squash hanging down!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/18/2015, 3:51 pm

No matter how tall I make my trellis's, they are never tall enough.  The beans bunch at the tops, the cukes grow all over each other, the tomatoes go up and then down the other side. Shocked I won't even try vining squash on them. Instead they grow all thru my rhodie hedge.

I'm heading toward arches...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/18/2015, 5:10 pm

Tshred......Look for tomatoes that are Determinates.  Most don't grow as tall as Indeterminates.  Some only grow 3'-5' tall as a rule.  As for cukes, there are several bush type as well as short vines 3 and 4' long so look for those.
Or look for container-type plants or seeds which don't grow to excess, in such things as squash, tomatoes, cukes, and even melons.  There are more and more varieties of those every spring.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  TSHRED 1/18/2015, 5:25 pm

quiltbea wrote:Tshred......Look for tomatoes that are Determinates.  Most don't grow as tall as Indeterminates.  Some only grow 3'-5' tall as a rule.  As for cukes, there are several bush type as well as short vines 3 and 4' long so look for those.
Or look for container-type plants or seeds which don't grow to excess, in such things as squash, tomatoes, cukes, and even melons.  There are more and more varieties of those every spring.

Thanks!
TSHRED
TSHRED

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/18/2015, 6:31 pm

My tomatoes are San Marzanos and Gilberties, indeterminate varieties. My trellis system is about 7 feet tall. I am 5'2" tall and the trellis height is for my natural reach. To tend the uppermost parts of the plants I still need a ladder, but for the most part I can reach far enough to reach fruit. The determinate tomatoes just get staked. My pole bean trellis used to be 10 feet tall but I cut it down to 6 feet and that works well enough for me.

I grow spacemaster cukes and they do fine on a 3 foot system.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/18/2015, 10:08 pm

camprn wrote: My trellis system is about 7 feet tall. I am 5'2" tall and the trellis height is for my natural reach. To tend the uppermost parts of the plants I still need a ladder, but for the most part I can reach far enough to reach fruit.

+1  I'm 5'3" (now) and I have my max trellis height at 8'.  I had DH cut some new 10' EMC down to 8', my 7' reach plus 1' with a plastic step or 2-step folding stool.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/19/2015, 3:17 am

sanderson wrote:
camprn wrote: My trellis system is about 7 feet tall. I am 5'2" tall and the trellis height is for my natural reach. To tend the uppermost parts of the plants I still need a ladder, but for the most part I can reach far enough to reach fruit.

+1   I'm 5'3" (now) and I have my max trellis height at 8'.  I had DH cut some new 10' EMC down to 8', my 7' reach plus 1' with a plastic step or 2-step folding stool.

+1. my trellis is 9-10 ft. i barely can reach the top. 8' probably wonuld have been better.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/19/2015, 3:45 am

TSHRED wrote:
Turan wrote:5 foot is about what I keep those plants at.  Some people let their tomatoes grow much taller.  Have you thought about making an arch using cattle panels or some such?  THat keeps them from being too tall yet gives the plants plenty of room to sprawl if that is needed.  Kay does that and also put in trellis that is slanted so it is not too tall for her but still plenty of growth room.

I have limited space so an arch would be tough plus the beds are raised three feet off the ground.

I ordered the trellis netting and will build frames from 3/4" metal conduit pipe. Each trellis will measure about 5 feet tall and 6 feet wide. My beds are about 4' x 5.5'
I happen to have plenty of yard room, but my beds are 4 ft apart.  Here is my cantilevered trellis and my cattle panels between the beds.  Over all I like the cattle panels best.

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Dscn0510

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Dscn0810

ten 4x4 tabletops covered in tulle in the space

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Dscn1310

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/19/2015, 4:07 am

Kay,  I just love your cattle panel arches.  Just for clarification for Tshred, the tulle fabric is to protect against pests?  And the blue buckets are for tomatoes?  Last winter, the snow peas got taller than the 5' trellis, so I gerry-rigged a horizontal trellis that lay on top the fence 3' away and was strapped securely to the top of the 5' trellis   I loved being able to pick the pea pods that hung down like yours in the photo.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/19/2015, 5:47 am

You can't see them because I had not planted yet, but the orange buckets were for tomatoes, the blue buckets for hot pepper and the silver buckets for sweet peppers. Razz Very Happy Wink    Yes, the tulle is for bugs and I believe it also cuts the sun just a hair.  The picture was taken in very early spring before I put up all the cattle panels.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 1/19/2015, 9:23 am

Kay, how do you do the sides with the tulle? I like the idea of the cattle panels and I am going to use tulle for the first time. But I still want to get to the plants without a lot of hassle.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/19/2015, 11:13 am

I use electrical conduit that is 5' tall no matter what I'm growing. If it reaches the top I just weave it back down. If it were to reach the bottom again . . . I would weave it back up.

Just for fun though I did make a squash arch. The cattle panels measure 50" x 16'. I then dug trenches and filled them with Mel's Mix.
Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Img_2110

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/19/2015, 11:48 am

sfg4uKim.....I just love your arch.  Wouldn't it also be great for grapes?  Such a shady, cool place to sit in the summer time.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/19/2015, 2:09 pm

way to go way to go way to go
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? Empty Trellises done

Post  TSHRED 1/19/2015, 3:20 pm

5 ft just felt right. 
I made the frames from 1/2 conduit. 
Very sturdy.

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150124

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150125

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150127

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150126
TSHRED
TSHRED

Back to top Go down

Post  TSHRED 1/19/2015, 3:21 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:I use electrical conduit that is 5' tall no matter what I'm growing. If it reaches the top I just weave it back down. If it were to reach the bottom again . . . I would weave it back up.

Just for fun though I did make a squash arch. The cattle panels measure 50" x 16'. I then dug trenches and filled them with Mel's Mix.

Wow. Nice!
TSHRED
TSHRED

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/19/2015, 3:37 pm

great garden beds kay!!!
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/19/2015, 3:39 pm

TSHRED wrote:
sfg4uKim wrote:I use electrical conduit that is 5' tall no matter what I'm growing. If it reaches the top I just weave it back down. If it were to reach the bottom again . . . I would weave it back up.

Wow. Nice!
+1 very, very nice!
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/19/2015, 3:40 pm

TSHRED wrote:5 ft just felt right. 
I made the frames from 1/2 conduit. 
Very sturdy.

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150124

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150125

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150127

Trellis height for tomato, cukes, etc...? 20150126
tshred, I love the art design when you putt up the trellis
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next