Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My patio garden Toplef10My patio garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My patio garden I22gcj10My patio garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My patio garden Toplef10My patio garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My patio garden I22gcj10My patio garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My patio garden

+3
AtlantaMarie
camprn
bbroomm
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My patio garden Empty My patio garden

Post  bbroomm 1/11/2015, 2:40 pm

Okie, lemme see if I can figure out pictures
My patio garden Img_1617
a couple of my cucumbers that started to vine.  (nevermind the umbrella on the ground, its for when it rains I don't want the plants to get flooded.  It killed a few plants when I started)  Also have a snap pea in the top left.  This is the second of two times they have died once they started to vine.
My patio garden Img_1618
This is the corner that gets the least sun on my patio this time of year.  Got some Romaine, turnips, collards, basil and another cucumber in there.  Looks like my watermelon and failed arugula in the bottom.
My patio garden Img_1619
My carrots, more romaine, more basil.  On the tables - the big plants are last years' collards.  Last summer I had them together, when I killed the brocolli I split up the collards.  They still look ok.
My patio garden Img_1620
My mustard and spinach on the brown table.  Big pot on the floor was supposed to be red onions.  The tiny orange pot is okra I started in the peat pellets.  The medium orange pot is a mesclin mix.  I'm not sure what's in it.  Some look to be doing better than others.  Very slow growing.  The closest basil is my oldes basil.  Planted that last summer also.
My patio garden Img_1621
Still minimal right now, but this is the corner that gets some sun. So I rotate what goes here.  Right now last fall's okra, more romaine, a cucumber that hasn't vine'd yet, watermelon, and my evergreen tomatoes that I'm excited about from what I've read/watched.  Slow growing so far.  At the bottom in yellow is another burgandy okra I started in peat.
My patio garden Img_1622
Same stuff with a cute little doggy in the window  Very Happy  That yellow leafy thing is a tomato I started in peat and it looked really good until I transplanted it to a smaller pot than what its in now.  I think I gave it root damage or whatever its called according to one of Gary Pilarchik's videos.  Cause there were two of them, and when I transplanted them I split them apart (being greedy wanting to have 2 plants) and after that they started to turn yellow.  I think I just killed off the other one.  There were 2 2 plants that I split up.  This one is the one I tried to save.  The other 3 I gave up on.
My patio garden Img_1623
And this is the little secret pile I'm trying to make a compost pile out of.  So far I've got some grass clippings I swept up into there from when they mow the lawn, some coffee grounds (do the ones from kcups count?) some leaf clippings and potting mix.  I have some kitchen scraps from this past week I'm going to toss in there.

And that's me.  I usually get my seeds from the store.  But I've been buying them online the last few months.  Burpee, Johnny's and most recently MIGardener.  I just got 6 in from him I want to plant.  I also saved some tomato seeds I want to plant.  So far no germination from it from peat pellets.  Again I just found out about the MM and SFG so don't hate for not having tried it yet.
I looked online last night, doesn't seem to be any horse stables that hand out free poo compost  Sad
OK critique away!
Thanks
bbroomm
bbroomm

Female Posts : 70

Back to top Go down

My patio garden Empty Re: My patio garden

Post  camprn 1/12/2015, 6:41 am

Looking good bbroomm. When the weather warms up a bit, do you plan on transplanting some of these plants into larger pots with deeper growing mix ?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

My patio garden WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/12/2015, 8:50 am

Wow!  You've sure got a lot going on in that patio!  Looks great. 

And you WILL have to up-plant some of those - like the okra.  I've had okra grow 6' tall.

I'm excited for you!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/12/2015, 2:51 pm

Bbroomm, I'm very impressed by what you were able to do with all those pots.  Shocked  There are some plants (okra, squash, tomatoes) that really need the largest pots.  I found out the hard way! Embarassed I would limit the little pots to greens and herbs.  Maybe you can find a little spiral stair-case looking pot stand or two on Craig's List.  That way, the herbs and greens won't have a large foot print on the patio.  The freed up patio space can be used for only the largest pots.  Or a used all-metal baker's rack so you can go vertical.  I just bought a used 5-shelf rack off of CL for hardening seedlings in the spring.  When space is limited, think vertically. Very Happy

Cheap window box at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-20-in-x-10-in-Plastic-Medley-Warm-Copper-Window-Box-WB690H-WC/203621369
You would need to drill holes in the bottom with that new electric drill and bit you just bought.  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bbroomm 1/13/2015, 1:29 am

Oh my gosh thanks guys.  I thought I'd be getting a lot more criticism. 
I do plan to  up-plant what I need to.  I did that the first go round too.  I didn't with the okra, that first plant and it hasn't grown any taller than this.  
My patio garden Img_1624
I don't know if I could handle much taller than that.  I'm sure it's because it's in such a small pot that it's not growing more.  But it put out new leaves so I left it alone.  The 2 okra pods I got weren't good.  I don't know if I picked them too soon, or didn't cook them long enough.
But what I'm waiting for is to make my own soil.  I don't want to buy any more of the miracle gro bags.  I may have to in the meantime once these guys outgrow their pots.  Getting the composts has been my ...holdup.  But I think my spinach has gone to seed cause it couldn't grow any more.  And it was so hard to get spinach to germinate to begin with.  I have I think 3-4 different kinds that I've tried.  Spinach, cabbage, and arugula have given me the most trouble.  And radish.
The bf isn't happy with the idea of me getting bigger out there.  He says there's too much as is.  I kinda agree, but it's just so much fun.  I was thinking the bakers rack, but they're expensive, and big.  I was thinking a greenhouse, or like a 4 shelf storage unit made for like laundry rooms.  We're talking/thinking about buying a house this year.  Would make it so much easier with a real yard!  Very Happy  Maybe I'll look on craigs list for some stuff.  I usually just check ebay.  There's supposed to be a store somewhere around where I live that has greenhouses for like 20 bucks.
Anyone have good recommendations on where to get 5 different kinds of compost online cheap?  The cow and mushroom I've seen at lowe's/home depot.  Ive seen bat guano online (but I still can't remember where) and worm castings online.  That just leaves me with calling around the horse stables and/or waste management.  That's actually how I found this forum!  I was doing a search on where to buy compost in my zip code, and someone from around the corner had posted about the same thing...going to go search that.  I bet it was 2 years ago.
The drill!  You don't understand, there would be more holes in my hands and fingers (and probably a leg) than anything else!  I have scars to prove my clumsiness! 
So the greens can survive happily in smaller pots.  ...hmm thinking about what to do with my collards then.  I do already  have larger pots for when the smaller stuff is ready.  But hmm.. I'd be afraid of killing my collards?  I feed them to one of our pets regularly.  She likes the mustard and the turnip leaves too tho.
Any thoughts on my tomato with yellow leaves?  Should I scrap it?
Any ideas why my peas die after vining?
Thanks for the help guys!
bbroomm
bbroomm

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/13/2015, 2:50 am

We don't criticized, we try to help and encourage. Rather than up-plant, start in the pot it will grow in. Up-potting can tear up the finest roots if you aren't very careful. One big plant per big pot, herbs and small greens in the smaller plants. Some plant's roots will take over the whole pot (tomatoes and peppers for example). Okra, cabbage, peppers, squash - one per large pot. Kelp4less.com has worm castings, bat guano. kelp meal, crab meal. Spoon or two of each per pot, lightly mixed in.

$65 5-shelf baker's rack:
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/fuo/4807067594.html
Castings from worms:
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/grd/4781914138.html
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/13/2015, 6:38 am

You can try Craigs list,farm and garden section.

http://miami.craigslist.org/search/gra?query=manure

Regarding yellowing leaves, my guess is the miracle-gro mix you used has run out of nutrition. Typically plants that are in such a mix need fertilizing in 6 weeks. Tomato plants are heavy feeders. This is the primary reason miracle-gro isn't all its cracked up to be.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

My patio garden WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/13/2015, 2:04 pm

bbroomm, You have a sense of humour and that will take you far. Very Happy 
Hope the BF gets on board a bit for you, it is good to have a supportive partner.
Many of us are lucky in that be have very supportive partners.  They know which side their bread is buttered.
It's good that you can post pictures.  Tomorrow, Wednesday, I am going to have some instruction  on cameras and computers. Tried to teach myself from the manual but don't seem to get past the first hurdles. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/13/2015, 2:47 pm

Kelejan wrote:Many of us are lucky in that be have very supportive partners.  They know which side their bread is buttered.
Boy, isn't THAT the truth, lol! 

Besides, they know once we get something in our brains, it's not gonna let go.  So just go ahead and let us do it & help us along the way.  It'll be better for them in the long run...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/13/2015, 5:34 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Many of us are lucky in that be have very supportive partners.  They know which side their bread is buttered.
Boy, isn't THAT the truth, lol! 

Besides, they know once we get something in our brains, it's not gonna let go.  So just go ahead and let us do it & help us along the way.  It'll be better for them in the long run...
I laughed when I read these comments, as well as bbroomm's original post.

Bbroomm, you've done some marvelous work.  It's clear that you are very attentive and earnest in your endeavors.  I wish you much success... the folks here are very helpful.

AtlantaMarie, Kelejan... my long suffering wife, never mind the butter:  She knows from which vine the sweet tomatoes come and from where the flavorful garlic comes.  As I mentioned to Atlanta Marie, I frequently joke with her when she asks about what I've spent:  "If you like the sausage, don't ask how it's made."   Wink
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  bbroomm 1/14/2015, 12:00 am

That place is a treasure trove!   Thanks so much!  I looked a little last night, but didn't find all the goodies you guys linked me.  I almost didn't even click it since it said Miami.  I was like - that's too far to drive.  Embarassed
Gonna get some free horsie poo  Very Happy
I'm over trying to get him to help out.  He's the type of guy if he's not into it, he's not into it.  Plus he's a meat and more meat kinda guy.  I couldn't trick him into eating anything I grow.  He does like to cook tho... 
.......... :shock:that baker's rack.........and I'm going to be in Boynton tomorrow !!! cheers  I emailed the guy to see if he still has it, thanks so much.  So many treasures on that Craig's list!

OK, so start the big plants in big pots.  I had heard somewhere that they like to grow to size in each smaller pot.  And once they outgrow that pot and have taken all the nutrients from that container to go on to the next size container.  That the roots like to not have to search in spacious places for their nutrients.  I mean, it made sense at the time, but thinking about it now I guess not so much.  Actually, trying to explain why I was doing it...I sounded pretty dumb to myself. 
Thanks so much for all the help and kind words everyone.  I'm going to start ordering/picking up my compost/manures and get this going!!  It's still really nice weather here, not cool or cold at all, so I need to hurry up!
bbroomm
bbroomm

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/14/2015, 1:10 am

I hope you are able to grab that baker's rack.  If you offer $50 cash, they may accept that, or $55.

I remember something about starting house plants in small pots and slowly up-potting them over the years.  But, this doesn't apply to veggies.  Farmers don't plant in a small area, then take them all up and put them back in the ground in a larger acreage, until they finally get planted in the big field. Very Happy   If you direct sow the seeds, do it in their proper size pot.  If one starts seedlings indoors, of course they are up-potted in their final pot or garden box.  But, that is not what you are doing.  You are doing "container gardening" with a side order of "vertical growing".  For your pots, I would fill them up to the mark / indentation near the top.  There is still a couple of inches left for hot summer mulch.  For food-grade 5-gal buckets for tomatoes, fill around 3/4 - 4/5 full.  Well, once you get an electric drill and bit and have someone train you. Hey, it's a great way to work off frustration, second only to hammering!  Razz  Another thing, place weed fabric at the bottom of each pot to keep the mix from washing out the bottom holes.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/14/2015, 9:42 am

We're always glad to help!

On your buckets that you put holes in on the bottom - make sure you have them up on something like a couple of bricks so the water can drain properly.  (Hard lesson learned...)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bbroomm 1/14/2015, 6:53 pm

Sanderson, you're cracking me up!  what is it?... touche' ? about the farmers don't up-field their veggies!  Laughing
I was in Boynton today, but I didn't get the baker's rack.  I looked some more (oh my gosh you guys started something with that Craig's list thing, i was on there for hours!) and found a different one for $18.  Plastic not metal, but had my heart set on that one.  The lister didn't answer the phone, so I just got one from Home Depot, still cheaper than the craigs list one.  But, wow, even the new ones at home depot were only about $50.  I still went with a plastic one tho.
Also went and got some free horse poopy!  I don't think I've ever been so excited about poop.  Embarassed  It was so awkward standing there in my sneakers and buckets scooping poop up.  Oh, and my pink gardening gloves.  Laughing  And I got some black kow from home depot.  I didn't see the mushroom compost so I guess that's lowes.  
Question on the horse manure.  Is it good to go like it is, or do I need to let it sit out a couple weeks to "cook"?
I bought a 5gallon bucket from home depot too (can you tell I went on a shopping spree?), but I ended up using it for manure too.  I was talking to one of the guys at...home d...and he said there wouldn't be a problem with having one of their guys DRILL HOLES IN STUFF FOR ME - SCORE!!   cheers   But as of right now, I didn't get anything to drill a hole in.  That weed fabric tip is genius!  I've noticed when I dump soil that its been clogging the drainage holes.  I would have never thought to do something about it, let alone ...would mosquito mesh work?  I already have some of that.
The shelves I got are like a grate.  I was sure to get that kind because I've also had puddles on my tables where the water just sat there in a puddle and didn't drain away.  I was never smart enough to buy those little plastic clear plate for pots things.  Always saw them, but for some reason never thought I needed them...even tho there are always so many of them they must serve an important purpose right.
Anywho, thanks so much for all the help.  Will go to Lowes one day and get the mushroom compost, order me up some bat guano and work castings and I'll be good to go!  sunny
Oh, do you guys thing it's perfectly fine to substitute coco coir for the peat moss?  Or should I just break down and buy some peat moss?
Thanks guys, im excited!!
bbroomm
bbroomm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/14/2015, 9:07 pm

Your enthusiasm is so contagious, bbroomm, Very Happy .

I think peat is cheap enough, and if you buy it, don't forget to "fluff it up" as the peat is the bales is compressed. but you probably know all that seeing as you have read "The Book".
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  steve638 1/14/2015, 10:43 pm

This looKS great!   way to go
steve638
steve638

Male Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/15/2015, 8:51 am

Sounds like you're well on your way to a GREAT patio garden, BBroom!

Looking forward to seeing new pix!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/15/2015, 3:55 pm

Bbroomm wrote,   "It was so awkward standing there in my sneakers and buckets scooping poop up.  Oh, and my pink gardening gloves.  Laughing"

Cracked me up.

I've been suffering with the pollution levels and now a bad cold, so I haven't been writing much. Mosquito mesh should work, especially if it is doubled up.  Coir is used in many other countries that don't have peat moss (or the shipping costs are prohibitive).  Use fluffed-up peat moss because you can!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  bbroomm 2/3/2015, 1:19 am

I decided to stay with the coir mostly because I already had it and bought it with this in mind.  So it helps with the instructions of not spending any more money. 

Wanted to show some updates of the patio since I was out there taking pictures of the cucumber flowers:

My patio garden Img_1714

My patio garden Img_1715

My patio garden Img_1716
my two remaining buckets of horse poopy and behind it is my tub of mixed composts.  You can't see that.

My patio garden Img_1717

thanks guys!
bbroomm
bbroomm

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/3/2015, 1:51 am

Looking good. My patio garden 3170584802  Does using the new stands help free up patio floor room?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/3/2015, 1:02 pm

What is the size of your patio, bbroomm? Do you have any room to sit and admire your efforts?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  bbroomm 2/3/2015, 9:23 pm

Thanks! 
The shelving does help a lot.  With the visuals as well.  I ended up with a 6' unit and split it in half as you can see.
The patio is small.  I can't sit and admire, but I can stand!  Very Happy  There's just enough room for me to squeeze by and water everything.  I just can't gain any weight until we move!  Laughing
bbroomm
bbroomm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/4/2015, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info.  There's a poem somewhere about standing; at least standing makes you bones strong.  You are making the most of what you have and you  have done really well with the tiny space available. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/4/2015, 12:49 pm

Jog in place in your garden for a cardio! Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/4/2015, 12:54 pm

Bbrroom, scroll down the first page and look at Lyndeeloo's container garden.  I thought of you when I looked at her set up.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18049-new-england-june-2014

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content