Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries Toplef10Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries I22gcj10Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries Toplef10Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries I22gcj10Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries

+2
Kelejan
sanderson
6 posters

Go down

Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries Empty Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries

Post  sanderson Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:02 am

http://ucanr.edu/sites/mgfresno/files/183913.pdf
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries Empty Re: Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries

Post  Kelejan Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks for that link, sanderson.  Last spring I bought four different high bush blueberry bushes and this is perfect for me, showing how to prune and when etc.
At least I did right by mulching with pine needles and oak leaves.
I have printed it out to go into my how-to book.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries Empty Re: Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries

Post  sanderson Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:04 am

I'm glad you like it. I didn't realize that MG posted some of the handouts and PowerPoints until today.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Southern Highbush Blueberry?

I have tried and failed at blueberries, and it was an expensive and labor-intensive failure. very sad That was in the last century. I've learned a lot since then and now I'm ready to try again.

The first thing I learned was that we need varieties that can survive our brutal summers. The vast majority of blueberry varieties only go up to Zone 8. We're in Zone 9b. Anybody try these in zones above 8?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/gardening-by-zone/zone-9-10-11/growing-blueberries-in-zone-9.htm
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:42 pm

Don't know about the west coast, but in the SE zone 9 there were native blueberries, and we had Rabbiteye Blueberries on the property that were there when we bought it.

Here is Ohio I tried to raise blueberries, and they were the most expensive deer feed I ever planted. Gave up on that experiment. (In gardening, there are no failures. Only experiments.)

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Kelejan wrote:Thanks for that link, sanderson.  Last spring I bought four different high bush blueberry bushes and this is perfect for me, showing how to prune and when etc.
At least I did right by mulching with pine needles and oak leaves.
I have printed it out to go into my how-to book.

One does not normally answer one's own quote, but seeing as it is  five years ago, all I can say is that my four bushes have not done very well.

This year I was away for five weeks in a very hot summer and they were nearly dead on my return.  One bush managed to produce 6 berries and they were the most delicious and sweetest blueberries I have ever tasted.  The four bushes have survived, just.  Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:17 am

countrynaturals, here is a link to growing blueberries in California, Sacramento area and it lists varieties and chilling hours.

http://sacmg.ucanr.edu/files/138069.pdf

I am also thinking of trying to grow blueberries. I am going to take 1 1/2 years to prep the soil as I am looking at them as something I plan on growing for many years. I had black cap raspberries where I plan to grow the blueberries but I have a virus in the soil from the wild raspberries. Basically I had great looking plants and they would green up nicely and try to spread like normal brambles but when it came time to blossom, something would happen. The bees would try and pollinate but the blossoms would turn brown and not fruit except for an occasional raspberry bump, just a single when it takes a multitude to make one berry. I finally found the answer of the virus in a Rodale book. So starting this year I will prep the soil where the bushes will go and hopefully in 2021 the bushes go in the ground unless I read I can plant them in the fall of 2020. Good luck with your blueberries.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:50 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:countrynaturals, here is a link to growing blueberries in California, Sacramento area and it lists varieties and chilling hours.

http://sacmg.ucanr.edu/files/138069.pdf

I am also thinking of trying to grow blueberries. I am going to take 1 1/2 years to prep the soil as I am looking at them as something I plan on growing for many years. I had black cap raspberries where I plan to grow the blueberries but I have a virus in the soil from the wild raspberries. Basically I had great looking plants and they would green up nicely and try to spread like normal brambles but when it came time to blossom, something would happen. The bees would try and pollinate but the blossoms would turn brown and not fruit except for an occasional raspberry bump, just a single when it takes a multitude to make one berry. I finally found the answer of the virus in a Rodale book. So starting this year I will prep the soil where the bushes will go and hopefully in 2021 the bushes go in the ground unless I read I can plant them in the fall of 2020. Good luck with your blueberries.
Bummer about your virus. I'm glad you found the answer.

Thanks for the link. It verifies what I was thinking about:
Southern highbushblueberries are hybrids from crosses between northern highbush varieties and native southern species, mainly Vaccinium ashei and evergreen Vaccinium darrowi. Southern highbush cultivars have lower chilling requirements (150 to 800 hours per year) than northern highbush varieties, greater tolerance to higher summer temperatures, and somewhat greater drought tolerance.The varieties that grow and produce most successfully in our areaare the southern highbush types;most of the northern highbush varieties do not tolerate our hotsummers and do not get enough chilling hours, but some grow satisfactorily in most years and are used commercially.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 pm

I bookmarked the link. High organic matter? Sounds like Mel's Mix with some pH tweaking. ??

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Few years ago planted 3 varieties here that were suppose to be good for central Ohio, meticulously amended the soil as the National Blueberry Council or some authority like that instructed.   Still lost 2 bushes.  The third one continues to grow and produce more berries each year.  Here I thought it had to have other bushes near it for better berries.  My takeaway is blueberries are not easy, read somewhere that if very good compost is used the whole acidity issue just disappears and compost takes care of it all.  So now that's all I do, add my best homemade compost, keep the critter cover over the bush for bird and critter protection.  Water it during dry stretches, and enjoy whatever comes.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Compost as the process continues although during part of the process initially does become acidic but at the end returns back to normal. Blueberries need 4.5 to 5.5 pH to thrive. So if your soil is not naturally acidic, every few years just do a quick pH test and add some elemental sulfur in a prescribed dose to keep it in the required pH range, it takes awhile for the sulfur to have the desired effect if done correctly. Same holds true if you wish to change the color of your hydrangeas.

Plants do have the ability to change the pH in their root ball zone. Blueberries need the lower pH to get certain nutrients in abundance. I just don't know if blueberry plants can change the pH scale 2 full points and with the pH scale being logarithmic, I would have my doubts. The University of Maine is an excellent source for information on both blueberries and composting as they were the first University to have an accredited curriculum for Compost. Cornell is an excellent source for all things fruit.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down