Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners Toplef10SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners I22gcj10SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners Toplef10SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners I22gcj10SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners

+5
happyfrog
Theresa
greneteam
SFGHQSTAFF
Kabaju42
9 posters

Go down

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners Empty SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners

Post  Kabaju42 3/4/2010, 10:52 pm

I was just looking at how to become a certified SFG gardener, and then I started looking at how to become a master gardener. It got me wondering, what kind of stuff do the SFG teachers and Master gardeners do? Do they put on classes at schools? Do they charge for consulting?

Is anyone here a certified square foot garden teacher or master gardener (I know there are.) What experiences do you have doing that?
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners Empty SFg instructors

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 3/5/2010, 12:00 am

Kabaju42 wrote:I was just looking at how to become a certified SFG gardener, and then I started looking at how to become a master gardener. It got me wondering, what kind of stuff do the SFG teachers and Master gardeners do? Do they put on classes at schools? Do they charge for consulting?

Is anyone here a certified square foot garden teacher or master gardener (I know there are.) What experiences do you have doing that?

You can become a certified instructor with the foundation. There are two ways to do it. We have a correspondence course Here:
http://squarefootgardening.mybisi.com/product/sfg-certified-speakerteacher-course

or you can attend one of our 3 day symposiums and be taught by Mel himself. Some people become certified just to teach for fun. Others do it as a business and make a business out of it. It depends on you. Hope that helps. Alan
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners Empty Pati's Pati'o

Post  greneteam 3/5/2010, 5:54 am

Hi from Polk County Central Florida. I started this in Sept took the online course and just got to work, telling everyone about an engineers way to garden. It was and is a fun thing to do. I am going to charge for anything else I do. I showed this method at a city seniors group and give my time each week to keep this rolling. what a way to help the economy and teach a legitimate skill to the youth. Remember the Victory Gardens.
Have a wonderful time with this hobby or a way to make extra $$$$$
Pat from Central Florida..Director of the "GRENETEAM...
greneteam

Female Posts : 7

http://www.greneteam.patimills.com

Back to top Go down

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners Empty Re: SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners

Post  Theresa 3/5/2010, 8:01 am

I'm a University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener and a Certified Square Foot Garden Teacher.
As a U of I Extension Master Gardener we are volunteers, we don't charge money for anything we do. If you are interested in becoming a master gardener you can contact your local extension office for more information.
Some of the things we do is assist the U of I Extension to distribute horticulture information to individuals or groups in our community, we give community programs related to horticulture. We work with school children, teachers, seniors, community gardeners, and homeowners, or wherever there is a need in our community. Recently 11 of us, 10 U of I Extension Master gardeners and 1 Jr. Master Gardener took the Square Foot Garden correspondence course to become Certified Square Foot Teachers. We plan to give volunteer classes to teach SFGing to our community and the surrounding counties. We will have SFG display gardens at our Extension office for the community to see how wonderful and productive Square Foot Gardening can be.

Last edited by SFG_Friend on 3/5/2010, 3:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/5/2010, 8:06 am

what a great question! i enjoyed reading the replies. learned some new info today. now i'm even more interested in learning about master gardening. . . Smile
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/20/2012, 9:36 pm

SquareFoot wrote:
You can become a certified instructor with the foundation. There are two ways to do it. We have a correspondence course Here:
http://squarefootgardening.mybisi.com/product/sfg-certified-speakerteacher-course
or
you can attend one of our 3 day symposiums and be taught by Mel himself. Some people become certified just to teach for fun. Others do it as a business and make a business out of it. It depends on you. Hope that helps. Alan
Would someone please update this link Smile Thanks!
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/20/2012, 9:45 pm

LittleGardener wrote:
SquareFoot wrote:
or
you can attend one of our 3 day symposiums and be taught by Mel himself. Some people become certified just to teach for fun. Others do it as a business and make a business out of it. It depends on you. Hope that helps. Alan
Would someone please update this link Smile Thanks!

This is a really old thread... just an fyi, you can go directly to the foundation anytime by clicking on the "Website" button in the green menu bar. And here is your link: http://www.squarefootgardening.org/teaching#!__teaching

SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/20/2012, 10:37 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:
you can go directly to the foundation by clicking on the "Website" button in the green menu bar:
http://www.squarefootgardening.org/teaching#!__teaching
Thank you! Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/21/2012, 5:06 pm

I am an Iowa State University Extension Master Gardener. We can charge for speaking or demonstrations if we wish to. We are encouraged to donate all or some of the money back to the program if we chose. We have speakers on every subject from soil to trees and inbetween lol...
Some of the things we do include: maintain public parks, give speeches of various subjects, organize tours (for example last year my town group organized a "Hosta Garden" tour around town), give talks to kids, volenteer/work at arboretums and botanical centers. We also coordinate and organize farmers gardens, answer clientele questions one-on-one. The list is long on the subjects we are involved it.

For example, personally I maintain the spring garden center at our grocery store here in town each spring. While not in a MG capacity, I was hired BECAUSE I was a MG.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/21/2012, 5:42 pm

CindiLou wrote:I am an Iowa State University Extension Master Gardener. We can charge for speaking or demonstrations if we wish to. We are encouraged to donate all or some of the money back to the program if we chose. We have speakers on every subject from soil to trees and inbetween lol...
The list is long on the subjects we are involved it.
For example, personally I maintain the spring garden center at our grocery store here in town each spring. While not in a MG capacity, I was hired BECAUSE I was a MG.
another walking Encyclopedia Smile I see. Two of our (sometimes) neighbors are as well, with an answer to everything. One in particular is just so nice. SFG Teachers and Master Gardeners 109486 for sharing Cindi
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/21/2012, 10:25 pm

MGs don't know it all lol..mainly what it give us is a basic background to many areas and the contacts to find out the answers to questions lol...
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  princezoe 9/12/2013, 2:15 pm

In Holland there are only 2 certified instructors and they are mother and son if i see that correctly.
So there is space for another one... I think I will try it if i get a big garden next season
For me it will take a year and a lot more experience before i will be certified instructor
princezoe
princezoe

Male Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down