Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Toplef10How do I get to Mel's mix from here? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? I22gcj10How do I get to Mel's mix from here? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Toplef10How do I get to Mel's mix from here? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? I22gcj10How do I get to Mel's mix from here? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How do I get to Mel's mix from here?

4 posters

Go down

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Empty How do I get to Mel's mix from here?

Post  ohill 5/2/2010, 7:38 pm

Hello,
I am new to SFG. I have 2 beds. One with Dr.'s Q filthy rich
soil with includes Sphagnum peat moss, compost, forest Humus, earth
worm castings and perlite.
the other has the Dr Q's herbs and
vegetable mix that includes Composted soft wood bark, peat moss,
compost & coir (coconut fiber pith). It said to fertilize using
these mix.

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Should I add vermiculite in with this mix?

Thank you,
Oanh
ohill

Back to top Go down

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Empty Re: How do I get to Mel's mix from here?

Post  Lostmommyof4 5/2/2010, 7:47 pm

I'm a newbie to the forum, but I do understand soil. What you have is already a mix, you cannot turn it into Mel's mix How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Icon_sad Mel's mix is simply 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite (pearlite is similar) and 1/3 pete moss. In the book the importance of using Mel's mix is stressed. Can't be a SFg without it. Can you return what you already have and start over?
Lostmommyof4

Back to top Go down

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Empty Re: How do I get to Mel's mix from here?

Post  camprn 5/2/2010, 8:06 pm

Good for you for taking the gardening plunge. Nothing is written in stone... only on paper. There is an art to gardening as well as science. Additionally I believe it is a process not an event. I did not adhere to the exact recipe of Mel's Mix as I could not come up with the exact ingredients, so I punted with what I had. For example, there was absolutely no vermiculite to be had in my town when I was making my mix, so I used seed starter mix, I added the only 3 sources of compost I could find at the time. I also understand soil and it sounds like you have some nice mix there to start with. You will not have Mel's Mix, but If you can get a hold of some vermiculite and another compost to add to all that, I bet your veggies would grow fabulously in the 4x4 square boxes. I would also encourage you to start your own compost to add to the mix in the fall or the spring. This is just my $0.02. Best of luck! Cheers! flower
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Empty How much vermiculite/compost to add?

Post  ohill 5/2/2010, 8:26 pm

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I was a little bit discouraged and feel a bit lost because I do not have the Mel's mix recipe. I can't return what i have already purchased and put in the raised bed. My boxes are 4X8 and 3X8.

How much vermiculite/compost should I add to my current mix as described in my original post? Do I need to fertilize it often? or just add more compost each time I re-plant a square foot per SFG.

Thank you all for your advice!
ohill

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/2/2010, 8:47 pm

O Hill, If you have not gotten a copy of Mel Bartholomew's All New Square Foot Gardening book, I would encourage you to pick one up. It has all the basics of SFG, lots and lots of info, planting guides, etc. Also, you will be able to find lots of great info and anecdotal advice on the forum using the search feature. I am not sure how much vermiculite you should add, perhaps someone else will give you a suggestion of volume.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/3/2010, 6:11 pm

ohill wrote:Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I was a little bit discouraged and feel a bit lost because I do not have the Mel's mix recipe. I can't return what i have already purchased and put in the raised bed. My boxes are 4X8 and 3X8.

How much vermiculite/compost should I add to my current mix as described in my original post? Do I need to fertilize it often? or just add more compost each time I re-plant a square foot per SFG.

Thank you all for your advice!

Howdy: You have the basics for a good mix, not Mel's, but it should be OK. When you replant you will need to mix in one trowel full of compost in your harvested square. You should not need any chemical fertilizer.

One of the characteristics of perlite is it is light and over time will float to the top of your mix where it will be of minimal benefit. Because you already have perlite in your mix I would wait until you complete your harvest in the fall and then remove all of your mix and add about 1/4 by volume of vermiculite and mix it well. At the same time go ahead and mix in additional compost. If you do not expand your garden use the excess mix for indoor plants or to fill in your boxes if they settle over time. You will have a great garden this year.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

How do I get to Mel's mix from here? Empty Still not sure what to do

Post  ohill 5/3/2010, 10:24 pm

Hello,

I put together the first raised bed 6 months ago and put in the Filthy Rich soil which has the perlite. I planted cabbage, brussel sprouts,, red &white onions bell peppers from store bought plants. They didn't grow very well. The cabbage is about the size of the small grapefruits and tasted not very good. I dig them all out.....

I can either add the vermiculite plus 2 more types of compost or take out 1/3 of this mix and Mel's mix from Lowe's?

The other bed, I have composted soft wood bark, peat moss, compost & coir by Dr. Q's herbs and garden mix. Should i do the same as above?

I am sorry for being so confused!!! I have never done this before and trying to understand everything. i have Mel's book now but I still need to help to recondition the beds with enough nutrients to grow somewhere closed to Mel's mix.

Thank you for your patience and help. God bless!
Oanh
ohill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down