Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... Toplef10Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... I22gcj10Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... Toplef10Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... I22gcj10Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing....

+7
Goosegirl
sanderson
Aschelonthebeach
puffmama
titans01
new2this
quiltbea
11 posters

Go down

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... Empty Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing....

Post  quiltbea 5/1/2010, 11:03 pm

• Its only May 1st here in southwestern Maine and already I have crops in my plots. I'm so thrilled, this being only my 2nd year.
    With the use of an A-frame I built and heavy row cover on the nites that drop down to the low and mid 30s, I have made inroads with an early garden.
    Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-10
    This is a view of my brassicas so far. I have cabbages, Super Red 80s in the first one, then Broccoli and the furthest one is cauliflower.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-12
    This is my little plot of Alpine strawberries, mulched and happy to blossom in the bright sunshine we had today, reaching a very unusual 80 with 55 expected tonite.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-13
    A closeup of one of my Broccoli, doing well.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-14
    A closeup of one of my Super Red 80 cabbages. We've had such high gusty winds yesterday and last nite, that some of those lovely large leaves have been broken by the winds. I hope they don't suffer much. setbackrl=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/66]Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-15[/url]
    The sugar snap peas are doing well in the 1st square. Two other squares are planted with some just germinating and the last block not pushing up yet.

url=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/67]Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-16[/url]
    My buttercrunch lettuces are doing well with the younger Crispino lettuce beside it.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-17
    A closeup of the Bright Lights Swiss chard that is doing very well.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-18
    Here's a closeup of one of the Quinalt strawberries I planted last year. Its already blossoming along with several others. These are the mother plants this year. I chose the matted row system so next year I'll remove the mothers and the strong runners will take their place. These are in a mounded bed since I had lots of garden loam left over when I started my beds last spring.

• url=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/70]Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-19[/url]
    In this bed are some spinach on the left and the lettuces in the middle. The cans are an experiment. I poked holes in the bottoms and buried them close to the rim, filled them with composted manure and water. I hope that every time it rains these cans will feed my crops. They are in the center of spinach seeds I planted.
    url=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/71]Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 05-01-20[/url]
    This is a long view of most of the garden with my A-frame in the background and my strawberry bed composted and mulched and lined with solar lights. Some of my beds are just mounded, and not protected by lumber. They are working fine for now.

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 04-29-12
    Here's my garden under row cover a couple of evenings ago when we were having nites in the low to mid 30s. It protects to 28 degrees so I was safe. I just rolled the row cover out of the way during the day.

• Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 04-29-14
    I made hoops out of wire coat hangers and clothespins to hold the shade cover when I first planted my tomatoes, and heavy row cover for the cold nites. It worked like a charm. I also put hoops over the lettuces when they were first planted and they came thru just fine.
  • This Square Foot Gardening is the best thing I've done in years. I keep experimenting and learning all the time. I hope to have lots of early crops this year and then put in fall crops for a bonanza of food for my family. Then I will try learning to save seed for next year and freezing produce to eat during the winter months. I'm really happy about my raised bed garden.

• Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 04-27-10
  • I have tomatoes still under my grow lights now in 4" air-pruning pots I made from 2-liter soda bottles. This is a first time for me starting my own seeds and I've enjoyed it. I now have 2 shop lights that are 4 feet long and my original grow light system that is only 2 feet long. Plenty of lights for what I'm attempting.

• Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... 04-18-10
  • Here are my other mounded beds for cucumbers, squash and a couple of melons. I'll be covering them with brown plastic mulch soon to heat up the soil for planting those crops.
  • I have, to date, planted Mesclun mix, lettuce, radishes (of which I've already been harvesting), chives, parsnips, Oregon Spring tomatoes which are ultra early and can take the cold, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, marigold and nasturtiums to repel bugs, scallions, carrots, parsley, basil, rosemary, lemon balm, and sugar snap peas.
  • For those of you just starting out, I was brand new to this last spring and got a late start. Its been a learning experience but a wonderful one, and at my retired age, its been a feasible method for me.
  • Try it, you'll like it!

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... Empty Re: Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing....

Post  new2this 5/2/2010, 7:40 am

What great pictures! Thanks so much for sharing; it's like you said in a previous post....gardeners who are willing to share photos and secrets really do help others out. I can't believe hwo much I've learned from teh members here - it really has been great!

I can't believe how well you're plants are doing!!

(Rockin')
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... Empty Re: Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing....

Post  titans01 5/2/2010, 9:58 am

Very nice pictures. It's nice to see where someone in 5a is at this time of the year. I should be harvesting radishes sometime this week as well. Keep us updated as the season goes along.
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... Empty o wow thats nice

Post  puffmama 5/2/2010, 10:16 am

I can only hope my garden looks as nice! I am just starting. I like to do edible landscaping/city farming so my garden will have a very fancy feel. I am still building boxes and stuff but it is already turning traffic. I will try to post pics later. The weather here in SD is crazy. We had late spring for 3 weeks and now it like Oct. out there. I put in cabbages, broccoli, brussel sprouts and strawberries and tried some peppers but alas my peppers died. I also have 4 grape vines which I planted last yr. in my row garden that I thought had died. Jokes on be because they are budding up just nice now. Comments on transfering them to a box anyone?
puffmama

Back to top Go down

Its May 1st in Maine and I'm growing.... Empty im in southern maine too!

Post  Aschelonthebeach 5/26/2015, 6:28 pm

Hi! I am just starting a sfg in my sunny coastal front yard and I have no idea what plants will thrive! I have a few, but my step dad insisted I put in two 8x4s and I am so overwhelmed by 64sqft! Any advice? Nothing is in the ground yet, but I want to get a plan and then stick to it as that is what I seem to find least stressful.
Aschelonthebeach
Aschelonthebeach

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/26/2015, 9:01 pm

What would you like to eat? More info, and folks will be giving you all kinds of suggestions. Very Happy Do you have a trellis on the north end?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/27/2015, 8:16 am

+1 to Sanderson's advice.  Grow what you like to eat, and if you like flowers, grow what you like to look at, sniff, or add to bouquets.  Do you like herbs?  No problem with planting them in between veggies and flowers.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/27/2015, 9:27 am

Hi Aschelonthebeach.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.

+2 on what you've been told so far.  This is a good time to experiment & see what you actually like & don't like.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/10/2015, 1:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. This is my first year square foor gardening. I also did lots of my own seedlings from seeds. Mine looked a little spindley compared to the store-bought ones, but have produced great plants. Planting my own seeds has also given me great variety (like purple tomatoes that my kids love, rainbow carrots, deiferent kinds of Kale, etc), and has allowed me to do some succession planning.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/10/2015, 7:13 pm

Mimi2, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Thank you for sharing. Your Canadian Regional Host, Kelejan, should be along soon to welcome you, also.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/10/2015, 7:29 pm

Welcome, Aschelonthebeach and Mimi2!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/11/2015, 11:52 am

glad you\'re here mimi2 from Ontario thinking 

from Kelejan :canada: 
come on over to the Canadian Region where you can meet other Canadians.  This does not stop you from reading or posting in any other post what-so-ever that takes your fancy.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/11/2015, 9:53 pm

Kelejan wrote:glad you\'re here mimi2 from Ontario thinking 

from Kelejan :canada: 
come on over to the Canadian Region where you can meet other Canadians.  This does not stop you from reading or posting in any other post what-so-ever that takes your fancy.

Yeah, we are very cross regional, many issues we all deal with, but certainly planting schedules, certain varietals, etc are specific to a growing clime. Chime in where ever you want!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/11/2015, 11:45 pm

Hi Mimi2.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

Glad you've joined us...!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down