Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Toplef10Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 I22gcj10Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Toplef10Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 I22gcj10Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter

+10
herblover
camprn
TexasAggie
jimmy cee
kamigh
CapeCoddess
donnainzone5
sanderson
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter

Post  camprn 7/24/2014, 6:53 am

For folks in zone 5a
http://awaytogarden.com/what-to-plant-now-for-a-fall-vegetable-garden/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter

Post  herblover 7/24/2014, 10:51 am

Continuing to succession plant;  I can usually keep even tender plants going til late Oct- early Nov depending on the weather.    No winter gardening for me though; I don't have a good spot and as much as I love doing it, after the long days of gardening and putting up that being in earnest now til then, I look forward to the break! Wink
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/24/2014, 11:12 am

herblover wrote:Continuing to succession plant;  I can usually keep even tender plants going til late Oct- early Nov depending on the weather.    No winter gardening for me though; I don't have a good spot and as much as I love doing it, after the long days of gardening and putting up that being in earnest now til then, I look forward to the break! Wink
+1

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/24/2014, 11:37 am

HEY JIMMIE C......   what a COOL picture  Very Happy 
I have started to plant my fall garden, and my BIGGEST CHANGE is that I am NOT going away for the month of September GOODNESS SAKES BIG MISTAKE.

Parsnips and broccoli.

Whilst in Oregon I purchased some seed from a www.boondockersfarm.com   for a frost resistant tomato called Kent Whetleys frost resistant tomato.
Has anyone else ever tried frost resistant tomatoes?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/24/2014, 2:31 pm

How many of you have started your projects? Embarassed

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/24/2014, 6:05 pm

sanderson wrote:How many of you have started your projects?  Embarassed
don't blush, you're busy making compost. What a Face

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/24/2014, 7:14 pm

sanderson wrote:How many of you have started your projects?  Embarassed
What projects?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 9/24/2014, 7:48 pm

I've given up my garden for the rest of this year.
Just to much else to do and I was wasting so much time just thinking about what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it, etc.
Hopefully things will settle down by next spring, I am still keeping the compost pile going though, that's one thing that I am able to squeeze in some time..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/25/2014, 12:37 am

I still have a number of things to do before I shut done for the winter snow and ice.
Clear the beds, plant garlic and daffodils, make a plastic covering for the winter bed that has carrots etc in it, finish preparing the ground so that it is ready for when my woodchip order comes in hopefully before it snows. We now have a week of rain showers but I am hoping to be able to do a couple of hours a day.
Maybe we will have an Indian summer?
Although I am loving my gardening venture, I enjoy a few months off in the winter and that really makes me long for spring and ready to go again. Not sure how I could cope with all-year gardening.
I will still have my worms for company.Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/25/2014, 1:16 am

I still have to transplant some kale and, later, some swiss chard after it grows a bit more. Some of the kale seedlings appear to have drowned overnight, so I may even try to sprout some more seedlings. And also I have purple sprouting broccoli seedlings to transplant.

I have three gardens to clean up. Sooner or later the beans, tomatoes, malabar spinach, basil, and peppers will have to come out. The kale and chard are waiting for their spots where those summer crops are still planted.

I'm almost always on aphid duty lately, and there's always more horse poop to lug about.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/25/2014, 5:19 pm

OK, just found a winter project here:

http://greatist.com/health/best-plants-to-grow-indoors

I'm thinking carrots, chives, leafy greens, tomatoes, garlic greens and ginger.
Very Happy

Marc, when is your first frost date?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/25/2014, 9:47 pm

CC, Do you have an enclosed porch or sun room?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/25/2014, 10:04 pm

sanderson wrote:1.  Potatoes in buckets in the green house.  All the potted peppers and tomatoes also in the green house.  (4 x 4 foot print, but I'm going to raise the gable roof so I can stand up in the middle.  Also, fashion a PVC and plastic door for easier entry.
2.  Put Christmas lights and a PVC / plastic frame over the new 2 x 8 TT so I can try to keep growing carrots and greens - kale, chard, bok choy, maybe try lettuce?
3.  Trellised Snow peas, again.
4.  Put some ground boxes to bed for the winter.
5.  Try cabbage, if Audrey will tell me when to plant it to over-winter.  Very Happy
5.  Save the fall leaves, again.
This was my list and so far, I'm behind.  Well, not on #5 because the leaves haven't turned, yet.

Today, I've been redesigning the PVC frames for the beds and making new ones for the new boxes.  Having the 1" PVC tubes/holders secured inside the corners of all the boxes is making it so easy to install/remove frames, and install/remove tulle or plastic.  One of the smartest things I have done regarding the boxes!   Very Happy All of the boxes (except one) are 2 feet wide so any upright, cross brace or gable I grab will work in any box.  bounce The ridge poles will be cut for 2', 3' or 4' boxes, so easy to tell apart.

The weather turned chilly tonight. Must speed things up.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/25/2014, 10:30 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
Marc, when is your first frost date?

CC

Depending on who you ask and where you look, anywhere from October 15 to 26.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/25/2014, 11:20 pm

1. First thing is this year I'm taking plants out ahead of the first frost. I had a massive mess on my hands when it hit last year and tons of green tomatoes, much more than I could ever use. So I'm removing the plants that have no chance of producing between now and mid-November (our earliest frost date)

2. A massive Berkeley method compost pile that will be ready by the end of October.

3. Starting more seedlings this week. Our summer went so long that a bunch of my lettuce went bitter that was supposed to be my fall crop so I'll replant.

4. Cleaning up my greenhouse plants. Deciding what I'm going to pull and what I want to plant for winter harvesting. The important thing is I have all of my salsa ingredients growing in there, LOL!

5. We have to set up some shelving in the greenhouse, I used straw bales last winter but I've used most of them up for mulch.

6. I've planted 2 Snow Fairy tomatoes in the greenhouse. They are supposed to handle cold down to 28 degrees if frost doesn't touch their leaves, so they should thrive in it. I also planted a Mexican Zucchini, we'll see if I can keep it producing into late fall at least. I also have massive Spaghetti squash in there, not sure it will be warm enough so we'll see!

My gardens are just one giant experiment, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/26/2014, 1:31 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:1. First thing is this year I'm taking plants out ahead of the first frost. I had a massive mess on my hands when it hit last year and tons of green tomatoes, much more than I could ever use.

Must be wonderful to have so many! Hard to picture there being more than a person could use, as they cook down so much, and some could just ripen slowly on the countertops. Then again, I can eat tomatoes in prodigious quantity.

6. I've planted 2 Snow Fairy tomatoes in the greenhouse. They are supposed to handle cold down to 28 degrees if frost doesn't touch their leaves, so they should thrive in it.

"Thrive" is an interesting word there. If they overwinter successfully and you get extra-early tomatoes in the spring, that would be fantastic. But I'm more curious about how long they'll produce for you in the upcoming couple/few months.

My gardens are just one giant experiment, LOL!

I like those much better when I'm the one doing the experimenting on the garden rather than when the garden gets its own agenda and ideas and I just have to scramble to keep up.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/26/2014, 1:00 pm

Marc;
I had tomatoes all winter long last year and they weren't any special varieties. I think I finally ran out of fresh tomatoes in April, just as the new crop was getting started.

My cherry tomatoes had been planted in the late summer, early fall and began to produce right away. I had enough for salads every day or two. It was really nice!

Those were under my second cover with my little heater when it got the coldest. The snow fairy toms should be able to be in the rest of my uncovered space and only be covered during the coldest temps. We usually only get down to mid-20s, last year we got to 22 degrees.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/26/2014, 2:02 pm

All winter? Really nice. Tomatoes all winter is a reason for a greenhouse all by itself.

How cold did it get in your greenhouse when the tomatoes were still producing?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/26/2014, 4:29 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:All winter?  Really nice.  Tomatoes all winter is a reason for a greenhouse all by itself.

How cold did it get in your greenhouse when the tomatoes were still producing?
22 degrees - but they were covered under my survival blankets with a small thermostatically controlled heater set on its lowest setting so it would have been maybe 45-50 degrees? The heater doesn't tell you what its thermostat is set at, but it only comes on 1-2 minutes every couple of hours with the survival blanket greenhouse inside a greenhouse effect.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2014, 1:14 am

Almost finished making the new frames for covers.
Last year:  (someone called them handicap rails)
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Frames10
New design, for winter cabbage:
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Frames11
2' x 8' long box, for winter greens:
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Frames12
The squash boxes are being put to bed, no need for height:
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Frames13

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/27/2014, 7:52 am

Those look great, Sanderson!  Need to do that myself...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/27/2014, 9:06 am

sanderson wrote:CC,  Do you have an enclosed porch or sun room?
Nice frames!  Well done!
Yes, I have a southwest facing box bay window for winter gardening and then seed starting. It has a tiled floor for warmth and I can cover the opening with plastic when/if needed.
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Procsimple?imageID=0plsDJxnMe6iLdKlRxMJZabshH4GA31zKAypxjYXCvqkqc2pCr2aDde2FlA.FlrL0X8CXp5O0I-Gaoon1bvitoB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4bG2D3AgoHnfBpP9sKxF7a5CPyo4dHffexvgpwPE3-2.C7yBIiRIIT2mV7Aq6F
I love you
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 9/27/2014, 9:40 am

Sanderson, I like your frame work so much I am going to change mine to copy yours...great job
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Row_co13
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/27/2014, 1:17 pm

Looks very nice, sanderson!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2014, 1:41 pm

Thank you, everyone.  I should have mentioned that I will run twine from one gable point to the other so the ridge poles don't come out when it's windy.  Like I did with the green house last winter, only with the green house the twine ran in all directions.  I don't glue anything.:
.Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Hot_ho10

Covered, they should look something like this:
Looking ahead towards Fall/Winter - Page 2 Hot_ho11

When the bed frames and covers are finished (today?) I will remodel the green house just a bit so I can have a door on one gable end and it will be a tad higher for easier entrance.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next