Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Toplef10Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden I22gcj10Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Toplef10Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden I22gcj10Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden

+9
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
Turan
68carguy
FeedMeSeeMore
gwennifer
boffer
yolos
mimsbuttons
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Empty Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden

Post  mimsbuttons 5/31/2014, 11:32 am

I am new at gardening as an adult.  I have dared to sprout some tomatoes and cantaloupes.  I will need to set them out soon.  Does anyone know of any materials that I can repurpose to create an attractive looking garden design?  I have thought about old barrels cut in half, but I can't find any without spending an arm, leg, and a few fingers (LOL)!  I have also thought about using small kiddie pools filled with soil.  Any cheap (more free) ideas.  Photos are welcome!
mimsbuttons
mimsbuttons

Back to top Go down

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Empty Re: Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden

Post  yolos 5/31/2014, 11:41 am

Those bags you buy at walmart to keep from using plastic bags are said to work very well.  I do not know what they cost though.

Here is one sample of using the walmart bags.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iVBMBxvMsA

Last edited by yolos on 5/31/2014, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Empty Re: Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden

Post  boffer 5/31/2014, 11:44 am

5 gallon buckets are free.

If you want pretty, paint them.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/31/2014, 12:54 pm

yolos, nice find on that video!  Grow bags for $0.50 that air-prune and a kiddie pool for self-watering.  Cool.  Look at how he's even grown corn this way and is modifying his buckets to air-prune too:

mimsbuttons, have you checked your local craigslist or perused habitat for humanity stores for used materials perhaps?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 5/31/2014, 1:43 pm

boffer wrote:5 gallon buckets are free.

FREE 5 Gal. buckets??? Where would I get those?
(I thought $2 for a stinky pickle barrel from firehouse subs was a good deal.)

FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/31/2014, 2:10 pm

Schools use 5 gallon pickle buckets.  Bakeries.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy 5/31/2014, 3:11 pm

FeedMeSeeMore wrote:
boffer wrote:5 gallon buckets are free.

FREE 5 Gal. buckets??? Where would I get those?
(I thought $2 for a stinky pickle barrel from firehouse subs was a good deal.)

I got some from my local Food Lion, not sure they are in your area. The bakery department gets frosting in them...free for the asking. They normally have left over frosting in them you have to clean out but other than that....
Yeah I bought one of those pickle buckets from Firehouse Subs...never again....my my..... you can never get the smell out.
I would be afraid anything I grew in it would taste like it smells!!
68carguy
68carguy

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/31/2014, 4:05 pm

The expensive part is finding good composts and vermiculite or perlite.  The forms can be all sorts of repurposed bins/ bags/ mesh/ scrap lumber/ pallets/ buckets.  Look in alleys and behind businesses.  KNow any one with cats, those square kitty litter buckets with hole drilled in them are great.  Do not use burlap, it decays too fast but a roll of weed cloth would make a lot of forms.

Good luck with your scrounging  Laughing

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 5/31/2014, 4:31 pm

@yolo
@68carguy

Thanks for the tips!
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/31/2014, 4:53 pm

I used someone's tossed out kitchen cupboards for my original boxes. 3 years later I'm still using them but they may need to be repaired or replaced the end of this season.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/31/2014, 5:01 pm

mimsbuttons wrote:..Does anyone know of any materials that I can repurpose to create an attractive looking garden design?..

We've seen some very nice cinder block boxes.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 5/31/2014, 5:28 pm

Our neighbor was building a new deck. DH caught him before he torched ALL the old wood in his backyard. We should have enough for at least 3 "new" boxes.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/31/2014, 6:53 pm

Getting stuff that's both attractive and cheap/free can be tricky and require a bit of luck!

Many good suggestions have been posted in this thread for at least the cheap/free part. Re growing in bags, if you'd like to do that but don't want the sides to bulge out in a sort of random way, and want to make them easier to move, you might consider checking out your local dollar stores for wire baskets, or the plastic equivalents, to put the bags in. That will keep the bags upright and in a consistent shape, protecting the fine root hairs from micro-traumas like bending and tearing as the bags expand and contract, while also making it easier and less damaging to move the bags, should you need to as the sun changes its position during the season. It can also make growing in bags more attractive. The wire and plastic baskets tend to come in quite a few colors and a variety of shapes.

Growing in bags with Mel's Mix works very well, by the way. Doing so can cost you a bit more in water, as the bags increase evaporation from the soil. But MM's high water-retention properties counter that near perfectly.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/31/2014, 10:03 pm

Do you have Craigslist.com available in your area?  And you might do a google search for free & your area.

Sam's bakery is where we get our free frosting buckets.  They're supposed to send them to the recycler, but apparently this one particular store didn't get the message... lol.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/1/2014, 7:24 am

yolos wrote:Schools use 5 gallon pickle buckets.  Bakeries.

+1 I was just going to add bakeries. Their frostings and other edibles come in buckets, so they are definitely food grade.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/1/2014, 7:27 am

68carguy wrote:...
Yeah I bought one of those pickle buckets from Firehouse Subs...never again....my my..... you can never get the smell out.
I would be afraid anything I grew in it would taste like it smells!!

Definitely for pickling cukes only - they may grow smelling pre-brined! Wink 
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/1/2014, 9:21 am

The smell doesn't bother me.  It goes away real quick.  leave it outside in the air and rain and the smell goes away.  Anyway, if you use it as a planter, you are going to fill it within an inch of the top, so you shouldn't be able to smell any pickles after that.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Empty Wonderful, space saving idea!!!! Cost Effective a Well!!! thanks!

Post  mimsbuttons 6/1/2014, 4:48 pm

gwennifer wrote:yolos, nice find on that video!  Grow bags for $0.50 that air-prune and a kiddie pool for self-watering.  Cool.  Look at how he's even grown corn this way and is modifying his buckets to air-prune too:

mimsbuttons, have you checked your local craigslist or perused habitat for humanity stores for used materials perhaps?
mimsbuttons
mimsbuttons

Back to top Go down

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Empty Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden

Post  mimsbuttons 6/1/2014, 4:52 pm

yolos wrote:Those bags you buy at walmart to keep from using plastic bags are said to work very well.  I do not know what they cost though.
thank you so much for this link!  I was able to get more and more cheap ideas of a self-watering system that I can build for less than $50 bucks!  I really appreciate this!  I welcome any future tips you may run across as well.
mimsbuttons
mimsbuttons

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/5/2014, 12:49 pm

We're trying this idea out for a couple of tomato plants. Empty dog food bags. This particular brand is makes a tarp like bag. I wiped it out with some diluted dish soap on a rag and that was all. I've been saving them for something just wasn't sure what.

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden June_512
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/5/2014, 12:56 pm

Nice re-purposing.  Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden 3170584802 

Be sure to give us a follow up at the end of the season.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/5/2014, 7:43 pm

Will do Boffer. Those are the only store bought 'maters. The rest were from seeds.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/6/2014, 11:50 am

FeedMeSeeMore wrote:We're trying this idea out for a couple of tomato plants. Empty dog food bags. This particular brand is makes a tarp like bag. I wiped it out with some diluted dish soap on a rag and that was all. I've been saving them for something just wasn't sure what.

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden June_512
LOVE it!  What a fab idea.  Did you put holes in the bottom?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/6/2014, 11:59 am

@CapeCoddess
LOVE it!  What a fab idea.  Did you put holes in the bottom?
CC.

Yes I did cut some holes in the bottom. Should have mentioned that.
Just trying to save any way we can so we can add some more square foot beds next year.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Back to top Go down

Newbie seeking inexpensive ways to structure my garden Empty material

Post  tank55 6/6/2014, 9:59 pm

I do not know your area, but i have a cedar sawmill close they sell 3000 lb stack of cedar ( they call them miss cuts) for $50. they have 1/2" X 4" x 8' up to 6" X 6" X 8' and ever size  in between. Mine had a lot of 12" X 1" X  8" they did not have square side but they work well. hope this helps
tank55
tank55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next