Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! Toplef10Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! I22gcj10Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! Toplef10Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! I22gcj10Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden!

+5
shannon1
Furbalsmom
Stacie
white95v6
Ukulele JJ
9 posters

Go down

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! Empty Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden!

Post  Ukulele JJ 5/12/2011, 2:46 pm

Hi gang,

I have the SFG book heading towards me from Amazon at this very moment. Looking forward to reading it and getting started!

I've been meaning to start some sort of garden for ages, but have never (until now) found a clear, methodical way of going about it.

Hope it's not too late in the season by the time I get my bed/soil/etc. together...

JJ
Ukulele JJ

Back to top Go down

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! Empty Re: Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden!

Post  white95v6 5/12/2011, 3:46 pm

welcome. JJ

i am also new to this forum. and gardening(sfg too). in general you are alittle but late on a few things. but on others you are about on time. i say give it a shot and grow what you want for summer. and then if you can or like too. build a green house over the beds and continue on into winter. and don't forget a winter crop good luck.
white95v6

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! Empty I'm in Franklin and I am a newbie also

Post  Stacie 5/12/2011, 4:40 pm

Hi there and welcome! I am new to SFG and I live in Franklin just south of Nashville. I ignored everyone's advice and started as big as I could. I think you can find some of my posts on here that will give you some ideas of what I've been doing. Also, see if you can find my post on the cicadas. They are going after my sweet potatoes, though I was told by multiple sources that they won't hurt your garden. Welcome again and Happy Gardening!
Stacie
PS- If you can't find my posts on here you can find the videos on my blog at www.ourfreedomgarden.blogspot.com : Smile
Stacie
Stacie

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! Empty Re: Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden!

Post  Furbalsmom 5/12/2011, 8:00 pm

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 396615 Ukelele

So nice to have you join us. It not too late to plant a garden, you may be limited in what will grow in your area this time of year, but summer and fall crops can still be planted in many areas.

Read your book, make your Mel's Mix and go for it.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/13/2011, 2:10 am

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 396615 JJ glad you found us. I got a late start this year as well. Just could not plant everything I wanted but did what I could. I will be ready for fall gardening and next spring flower . Sounds like you will be too, let the gardening begin.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/13/2011, 3:35 am

Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 396615 Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 396615 Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 396615

There is always fall!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Ukulele JJ 5/17/2011, 2:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, gang!

The book came in and I've been plowing through it. I think I might wait a while before I start. These cicadas give me the creeps! affraid

But that will give me time to leisurely procure my Mel's Mix stuff, find good box material, etc.

JJ
Ukulele JJ

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/17/2011, 3:10 pm

I may be late in doing so, but I did want to say Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 396615 .

I'm in NE TX, so I spend as much time outside as I can before it gets too hot (in 2 weeks or so).

You will love it here on the forum, we love to help, and we love pictures even more.

Again Nashville Newbie Trying First Garden! 396615
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 5/17/2011, 3:55 pm

Hi Ukulele - I'm a noob here too; just joined yesterday! I would definitely build your boxes and get started this year. Some things, namely tomatoes and peppers, you really can't grow from seed this late in the season, but you can definitely buy some 6-8 week old plants and plant those! Other things, like beans, will grow no problem if you start them from seed now. It's getting a little late for cold-weather crops at this point unless you're going to use some of Mel's methods for extended the cold-weather crop season.

Anyway good luck and be sure to post about your progress! I'm loving reading about other people's gardens and can't wait to put some info up about mine.
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Male Posts : 139

https://www.youtube.com/user/HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/20/2011, 12:07 am

You have not realy lived until a cicada flys up your skirt. affraid
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/20/2011, 8:14 am

Shannon, I had a wasp do that one day while hanging out laundry, I did not know it until I came in and sat down...... That's also how I discovered I was allergic to them, my whole back thigh swelled up.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/20/2011, 8:23 am

shannon1 wrote:You have not realy lived until a cicada flys up your skirt. affraid

Howdy: I don't wear a skirt so I can't say what that experience would be like, but, the mind picture had me LOL. In my early college years I worked in a honey house where I got paid to extract honey from the comb. When I started there one sting would cause me to swell up something awful. Over time it got to where I could take up to 30 stings a day without reacting. Most stings happened from bees that would climb up my boots and under my pants legs.

I'm so glad that cidadas don't sting.

Cooking a big ole pot of beans for the crew at work. Don't walk behind us today!

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down