Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Toplef10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 I22gcj10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Toplef10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 I22gcj10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

+35
ispinwool
suseine
OhioGardener
BlackjackWidow
Roseinarosecity
brianj555
Banned Member
MrBooker
ralitaco
donnainzone5
reynajrainwater
yolos
llama momma
Zmoore
Ginger Blue
bigdogrock
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
hammock gal
countrynaturals
AtlantaMarie
trolleydriver
Scorpio Rising
quiltbea
FeedMeSeeMore
jrfrommd
brainchasm
giant_trainer
plantoid
camprn
rabbithutch
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
sanderson
grownsunshine
39 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Empty Re: Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/1/2016, 9:01 pm

My daughter gets photo credits for this on her incredibly good picture taking iPhone!  Tiger Swallowtail enjoying some nectar from the Buddleia!

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Image58

Gorgeous.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Empty Re: Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Post  countrynaturals 8/1/2016, 11:31 pm

WOW! Great shot! Cool  Those snooty things never pose for me like that. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/2/2016, 7:39 am

Nice Gulf Fritillary, Suz!
And a lovely Tiger Swallowtail, SR!
I have a Black Swallowtail visiting - residing, really.  Mine's just a baby-- much easier to photograph. It's on the bolted parsley, which the pollinators (wasps, wannabees -- not honey or bumblebees) are delighted by. The flowers seem so small...but I guess they're tasty! I was going to remove it once the flowers were done, but the plant gets to stick around as long as this little gal/guy needs. Probably only a week or two. They grow up so fast! (Do parsley seeds have any culinary uses?)
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Img_6911

I found another baby on my Queen Anne's Lace, right after thinking "I should have thinned those seedlings a bit more, that's a lot of Queen Anne's Lace to deadhead."

My other visitor was a dragonfly that got lost in the fold at the top of my fence. One of the big ones with white and black clouds on the wings. I let it loose rather than leaving it trapped longer so I could fetch the camera.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/2/2016, 8:19 am

Nice photos! So wonderful to have garden visitors...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 8/2/2016, 5:21 pm

I have a strange and a pretty, and I don't know what either of them are. BTW, SR- I have not seen a Swallow Tail in such perfect condition in many years- great shot. Beetles, you must have a wonderful camera, that too is a perfect pic.

I have no clue what this is, but I don't like the looks of it.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Uglybu10

This little one was very shy and jittery, I thought I would never get close enough to it, I think it got tired.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Orange11
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/2/2016, 5:39 pm

This little guy or gal showed up 6 feet high on my deck handrail.  I normally see brown toads from the pond next door running around the garden On The Ground.  So this little green guy or gal was a real surprise.  Doesn't it look mad Lol
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Untitl12
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/2/2016, 6:39 pm

bigdogrock wrote:I have a strange and a pretty, and I don't know what either of them are. BTW, SR- I have not seen a Swallow Tail in such perfect condition in many years- great shot. Beetles, you must have a wonderful camera, that too is a perfect pic.

I have no clue what this is, but I don't like the looks of it.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Uglybu10

This little one was very shy and jittery, I thought I would never get close enough to it, I think it got tired.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Orange11

I have a mid-range, non-DSLR camera that I got used, and I have a Raynox snap-on macro lens for it <-- typically only ~$65, MUCH less than getting a macro screw-on. My camera isn't the kind that uses screw-on lenses. My real secret is experience. Both at bug-whispering, and various techniques to reduce camera shake. I didn't take classes, so my methods are ... I don't know; the "real camera people" I've talked to are somewhere between baffled and aghast. As near as I can tell from what people say, I'm also able to being hold abnormally still. I blame a slow heart beat (not the because I'm really fit kind, unfortunately) for part of that.

Insect #1 is a robber fly - typically these are good guys, they eat other bugs.
Probably in the "hanging thieves" group of robberflies, and maybe a New York Bee Killer:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/224025/bgimage
(though I think they more often take wasps rather than bees)

And Insect #2 is a crescent butterfly. Probably Northern Crescent or Pearl Crescent -- but the two are very hard to tell apart, and there's even a possibility that they hybridize IIRC.

Llama mama, awesome tree froggy! Love those. He looks grumpy to me - like he's trying to take a nap and muttering darkly about paparazzi as you take his photo.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2016, 6:57 pm

I adore frogs and toads....part of my OCD thing with the pool. Must.  Save.  Frogs and toads.  

Great pics and info on our garden pals, or enemies, or frenemies.....

Thanks, Rock.  He was a beaut, and a bit vain, I think!  Deservedly so!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 8/2/2016, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added about the Swallowtail posing so nicely....)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 8/3/2016, 10:07 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I adore frogs and toads....part of my OCD thing with the pool. Must.  Save.  Frogs and toads.  

Me too!  What a Face

Here's the latest hopper to visit our cucurbit patch:

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Froggy10

And, this video clip showed up in my FB newsfeed, too fascinating not to share:

https://www.facebook.com/Love4Wildlife/videos/162416074182668/

Good or bad, I'd love to find one of these in my garden.  (Of course, with my luck, it would end up in my salad bowl and scare me half to death. Shocked )

Save

Save

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/3/2016, 11:36 pm

I think I am going to take a closer look when I harvest lettuce in the future.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 8/4/2016, 9:46 am

Hey Beetles, what a beautifully interesting leaf looking creature. I have never seen one before. Thanks for sharing that!
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/6/2016, 12:00 am

Leafy relative of the Walking Stick?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/6/2016, 7:18 am

bigdogrock wrote:Hey Beetles, what a beautifully interesting leaf looking creature. I have never seen one before. Thanks for sharing that!

Scorpio Rising wrote:Leafy relative of the Walking Stick?
This guy? It is the caterpillar of a black swallowtail butterfly. The one below is munching on Queen Anne's Lace. The one on my previous post was on my parsley. I believe the caterpillars eat dill, fennel, and carrot leaves, too.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Img_6915

I need to get another laptop... this one is old and full of bug... photos. I'll have to roll everything over to something with a bigger hard drive because I can't upload my latest batch of photos until I do.  Rolling Eyes
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/6/2016, 10:38 am

I was referring to Ginger's Facebook link to a lefty creature!  Lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/6/2016, 12:21 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I was referring to Ginger's Facebook link to a lefty creature!  Lol!
Oh, I see now! I thought I was confused, and I was right.  jocolor
Ok - from what I could tell before the link crashed my browser* -- that's a leaf insect, and, yes, the closest familiar relatives in North America are the walking sticks, though the two groups are fairly distant (different families within the same order - for now, maybe, depending on who you ask.)

*Not Ginger's fault, probably not Facebook's fault: Beetles just really needs to switch to a better laptop.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/11/2016, 1:09 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:I was referring to Ginger's Facebook link to a lefty creature!  Lol!
Oh, I see now! I thought I was confused, and I was right.  jocolor
Ok - from what I could tell before the link crashed my browser* -- that's a leaf insect, and, yes, the closest familiar relatives in North America are the walking sticks, though the two groups are fairly distant (different families within the same order - for now, maybe, depending on who you ask.)

*Not Ginger's fault, probably not Facebook's fault: Beetles just really needs to switch to a better laptop.
Ok! I'm now flailing around on a newer laptop (Ack, different OS! Ack, muscle memory doesn't match new keyboard! Ack, much lighter weight, must be careful not to accidentally throw laptop!), and have my photo software up and running again!

Saw this tiny (fruit fly sized) but striking creature on a tomato leaf. My ID guess is Chloropisca glabra. The bugguide.net page for this insect says ""The larvae of Chloropisca glabra are peculiar among Chloropids in being predaceous on root aphids." -- Sabrosky, 1935"
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Img_6916
Hrm. Not happy to hear I probably have root aphids in the garden, but glad the environment is doing something about it. I wonder if root aphids could be why one of my tomatoes is always stressed out?
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/12/2016, 6:52 pm

That little predator is cute!  I wish I would have taken a picture of the feeding frenzy of wasps and ladybugs on the aphids on my milkweeds this week, it was almost terrifying there were so many types and numbers of wasps!  

I will get a pic, because it is unreal....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  reynajrainwater 8/14/2016, 12:37 pm

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 HelveticaNeue;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl240\partightenfactor0  \f0\fs24 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 <a href=Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Image19}" />I wouldn't say strange and wonderful but this is what I found in my garden.
reynajrainwater
reynajrainwater

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/14/2016, 1:58 pm

Nice photo of a tomato horn worm, on a pepper plant!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21564

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/14/2016, 2:09 pm

I think hornworms are adorable. For some reason they make me think of puppies. It might be their little faces. I think if the one and only horn worm I found on my tomato plant wasn't covered with wasp eggs I would not have been able to do away with it. I don't know what I would have done. They are so cute!

Suppose I wouldn't be saying that if I'd come out to total devastation. Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/14/2016, 6:24 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I think hornworms are adorable. For some reason they make me think of puppies. It might be their little faces. I think if the one and only horn worm I found on my tomato plant wasn't covered with wasp eggs I would not have been able to do away with it. I don't know what I would have done. They are so cute!

Suppose I wouldn't be saying that if I'd come out to total devastation. Rolling Eyes

CC
I think big caterpillars are cute, too. At least one hornworm would get to stay. But probably not all of them.  I'd likely try to find wild nightshade plants to rehome some of them to.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/14/2016, 10:57 pm

got our first monarch caterpillar on Satruday...I found it in the SFG then transferred it to a nearby marsh milkweed...found it again today and it had doubled in size within 24 hours...feeding on milkweed leaves like crazy.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Monarc10
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/15/2016, 1:41 am

landarch wrote:got our first monarch caterpillar on Satruday...I found it in the SFG then transferred it to a nearby marsh milkweed...found it again today and it had doubled in size within 24 hours...feeding on milkweed leaves like crazy.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Monarc10
 I have about 20 of them munching away in the butterfly house. I still have one more patch of milkweed to search, so that number may be rising. (I've already ordered more milkweed.) sunny
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/15/2016, 12:09 pm

Found a couple of these characters on a parsley plant. This was a couple of weeks ago before we went on a vacation trip. I believe they are the caterpillar of the black swallowtail butterfly.

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 IMG_2386_zps4sv1cicl

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 IMG_2387_zpsh1fowx1i
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/16/2016, 5:00 pm

These guys aren't strange or wonderful, but they visit every night. Actually, they sleep in the shed right behind them. They think they're pets and come toward us if we're outside at the wrong time. As you can tell by the fuzziness of the pic, I took this shot from a long way off.  affraid
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 4 Skunks10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next