Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Toplef10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 I22gcj10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Toplef10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 I22gcj10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

+35
ispinwool
suseine
OhioGardener
BlackjackWidow
Roseinarosecity
brianj555
Banned Member
MrBooker
ralitaco
donnainzone5
reynajrainwater
yolos
llama momma
Zmoore
Ginger Blue
bigdogrock
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
hammock gal
countrynaturals
AtlantaMarie
trolleydriver
Scorpio Rising
quiltbea
FeedMeSeeMore
jrfrommd
brainchasm
giant_trainer
plantoid
camprn
rabbithutch
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
sanderson
grownsunshine
39 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Empty Re: Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Post  sanderson 5/13/2016, 4:47 pm

Oh, good idea!

Add: I just cut up pieces of pink jute twine and some of the trellis, plus 100% cotton lint from the dryer. We're going out of town this evening, can't wait until we get back Sat night!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Empty Re: Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Post  countrynaturals 6/6/2016, 2:35 pm

Probably not so strange or wonderful, but just too cute. This is my bay plant. The grasshopper is about the size of my thumbnail.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Grassh10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/6/2016, 6:49 pm

All babies are cute. I'm already starting the grasshopper battle. A little earlier than last year (I think).

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 6/6/2016, 7:20 pm

I was hoping to find a great big bumble bee flying around in the garden, but no luck. I am still learning to use my new old smart phone, it does much better than I thought. I does close ups fairly well, but I am  used to my (from a long time ago) 35mm macro lens, but who knows what film is anymore. I can't wait to be rich and buy one of those new digital cams that does macro. But, for now I do with what I have. I happened to see this beautiful creature as I was walking in.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 06061610

If there had been more light she/he would have been a brilliant orange, but this pic kinda fades the color some. It is neat how the birds don't even think about making a snack of these. Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/7/2016, 1:46 am

Wow!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 6/7/2016, 9:32 pm

OK, this is a stretch, but they are so pretty and they only last a short time.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Yellow10
I just had to show it Very Happy It is wonderful. Rock
SO, just to keep it legal for the thread, it is strange, and it is just a visitor.  The little tent caterpillars that destroy trees, here is an up close pic of one.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Caterp10
Wish I knew how to get rid of them all, such a horrible little worm. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by bigdogrock on 6/7/2016, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/7/2016, 9:43 pm

bigdogrock wrote:But, for now I do with what I have. I happened to see this beautiful creature as I was walking in.

If there had been more light she/he would have been a brilliant orange, but this pic kinda fades the color some. It is neat how the birds don't even think about making a snack of these. Rock
Are photos with newt-ity allowed here? Laughing
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/7/2016, 10:35 pm

Love the baby grasshopper. All babies are cute!

The newt is also very adorable! And the parental Robin!

Tent caterpillars....I don't know much about them, but they are everywhere. I knwo sometimes there are aerial control methods....not sure...will research thinking
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 6/15/2016, 11:09 pm

I found these beauties (nursery web spiders) in the strawberry patch a couple of days ago:

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Spider10

This one was carrying an egg sac:

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Spider11

I also spied a dragonfly resting on a trellis:

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Dragon10

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 6/21/2016, 11:20 am

Don't know what this guy is, but he was kind of neat.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Img_2511

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Img_2510

On another note, just have to share.  No pictures and not even directly in the garden.
My wife was feeding the rabbits yesterday evening and I heard a bit of commotion.  I went to check what was going on and I noticed the can of spider spray sitting in front of the rabbit house.  My wife comes back out and she's in a tizzy, "I found one of the big daddy's!  It was over my head!"  She grabs the can and goes back in and proceeds to fumigate.  I'm standing outside and I see it dart across the floor.  It was "healthy".  Not a tarantula or anything, but a good sized.  I bet it was a good 2-3" across (foot to foot), body a good sized chunky 1/2" plus, dark brown and black, I think they're called wolf spiders, my wife calls them dead.  I don't like like spiders too much either, especially being in an enclosed space with them, so I can't fuss at her too much. 
Anyway, she grabs the spray and goes back in, "Pssssssssssssssst", "Uhhh, honey I think you got it", "Pssssssssst", "honey?", "I usually spray them until they are white".  "Well, the spray doesn't drop them immediately, takes a little time to work, you got him".  "stomp on it, squash it, I'll get you a stick". Smile  
Anyway, I got him.  Don't know why we needed to spray if we're going to squash him anyway.  Although, it made it easier to squash, it was a bit "dazed and confused" to say the least.  So, then I'm kind of scraping it outside where I could get some better light to get a "better" look at it, a "squashed look", but better light.
"Well, don't flick it out here a ME!"...... You know honey, you really should say stuff like that, I hadn't thought of that until right then Smile

P.S.  The couch was actually kind of comfy last night Smile
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/21/2016, 2:01 pm

Zmoore wrote:

Don't know what this guy is, but he was kind of neat.

On another note, just have to share.  No pictures and not even directly in the garden.
My wife was feeding the rabbits yesterday evening and I heard a bit of commotion.  I went to check what was going on and I noticed the can of spider spray sitting in front of the rabbit house.  My wife comes back out and she's in a tizzy, "I found one of the big daddy's!  It was over my head!"  She grabs the can and goes back in and proceeds to fumigate.  I'm standing outside and I see it dart across the floor.  It was "healthy".  Not a tarantula or anything, but a good sized.  I bet it was a good 2-3" across (foot to foot), body a good sized chunky 1/2" plus, dark brown and black, I think they're called wolf spiders, my wife calls them dead.  I don't like like spiders too much either, especially being in an enclosed space with them, so I can't fuss at her too much. 
Anyway, she grabs the spray and goes back in, "Pssssssssssssssst", "Uhhh, honey I think you got it", "Pssssssssst", "honey?", "I usually spray them until they are white".  "Well, the spray doesn't drop them immediately, takes a little time to work, you got him".  "stomp on it, squash it, I'll get you a stick". Smile  
Anyway, I got him.  Don't know why we needed to spray if we're going to squash him anyway.  Although, it made it easier to squash, it was a bit "dazed and confused" to say the least.  So, then I'm kind of scraping it outside where I could get some better light to get a "better" look at it, a "squashed look", but better light.
"Well, don't flick it out here a ME!"...... You know honey, you really should say stuff like that, I hadn't thought of that until right then Smile

P.S.  The couch was actually kind of comfy last night Smile
rofl I get it. I mean I really get it. I think ladybugs are cute. Butterflies are pretty. It ends there.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/21/2016, 3:12 pm

I've been trying to add to your list, FeedMeSeeMore -- dragon flies? Honey bees? Caterpillars that don't eat fruits & veggies? That's about it. I wish the rest would just go away and leave us alone. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 6/21/2016, 4:55 pm

Assassin Bug!
That's what my picture is of.  So, it's a "good guy" of sorts.
I found out "after the fact" what it was and that while not aggressive towards humans it can bite and it's bite can be painful.
So...... wagging my finger in front of it to get it to stop for a picture probably wasn't the best of ideas...
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/21/2016, 6:06 pm

lol! but he obliged!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2016, 3:27 am

Zmoore - Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Empty Gulf Fritilliary Caterpillar on Passion Vine

Post  countrynaturals 6/28/2016, 5:37 pm

Our passion vine plants had been in containers since last year when I bought them to feed the frits. Today, we finally got them into the ground and discovered 6 Gulf Fritillary caterpillars on the vines. YEE-HAH! LIFE IS GOOD!
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Firt-c10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/28/2016, 10:04 pm

Colorful little critter. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/5/2016, 5:34 pm

Hubby rescued this June beetle from the hot pavement. I discovered it wasn't a bad guy so he put it out front in the bushes. During the rescue, it stood up on its back legs and hissed!  affraid I took this pic, but wasn't all that impressed until I saw the closeup. WOW! Nature sure creates some gorgeous critters that we could never appreciate without the zoom feature.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 June-b10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/10/2016, 2:42 pm

Some unusual visitors to my garden: A may fly on my arugula, a fairy (...ok, fine, it's just a woolly aphid... but when they are flying and in the right light they have a luminous blue tinge and it's fun to pretend), and a firefly dozing under a leaf on my edible chrysanthemum.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Img_5713[url=https://servimg.com/view/19457748/99]Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Img_5814Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Img_5813[/url]

I also had a dragonfly a few weeks ago (never seen one in the garden before!) and a damselfly - also not a typical garden visitor for me.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/10/2016, 7:04 pm

You would think 5 almost 6 years fooling around in the garden the previous pictures would not faze me.  But they did.  What a weenie.
  silly me
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 7/19/2016, 11:27 am

This morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find three little frogs soaking in the kiddie pool which holds containers of okra and bell peppers.  Only two agreed to be photographed, the other was shy:

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Frog_210

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Frog_110

This is a great because last week the city drained and dredged the small stream at the back of the property, where the frogs and toads usually hang out, and I was concerned they wouldn't survive in the heat.  Yesterday, I purchased some clay pots and saucers, intending to set up frog habitats under my squash plants, but I'm glad the hoppers found a safe place to chill in the meantime (and right in the middle of my garden, at that!). cheers
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/19/2016, 1:23 pm

AW, I love that story... I love you
I have 'Toadie' living in my geranium box on my front porch. He's lived there for years. I talk to him and he even lets me pet him. I'm not sure if he's in there or not when I put the box in the garage for winter.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/19/2016, 2:05 pm

Nice surprise. Glad these 3 found a safe harbor.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/1/2016, 6:17 pm

Gulf Fritillary visiting the milkweed. Passionvine is full of them in all stages of development.  Very Happy
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 3 Frit2010
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2016, 7:52 pm

Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next