Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Summer squash question Toplef10Summer squash question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Summer squash question I22gcj10Summer squash question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Summer squash question Toplef10Summer squash question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Summer squash question I22gcj10Summer squash question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Summer squash question

+11
has55
mollyhespra
CapeCoddess
momvetkat
camprn
TxGramma
AtlantaMarie
walshevak
Marc Iverson
sanderson
larknoelle
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Summer squash question Empty Summer squash question

Post  larknoelle 5/7/2014, 7:25 pm

Hi, all, new to gardening here.

So what is spacing for vine & bush summer squash? Book has inconsistencies.

Add'l info:
The book says summer squash needs 1 plant per two squares; later it says vine summer squash needs 1 per two squares; the chart in the back says vine is 3 per square & bush is 1 per square.

THANKS!!

Last edited by camprn on 7/2/2014, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected title)
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Summer squash question Empty Re: Summer squash question

Post  sanderson 5/7/2014, 8:11 pm

In the ANSFG, 2nd Ed., it shows bush summer squash at 1 plant/9 sq. ft and vining summer squash at 1 plant/2 sq ft. It's not the roots that need that much space but rather the long-stemmed huge leaves. A bush summer squash can be planted in a corner square if there is room outside the box for it to fall over and grow. Use the search box for "vertical squash" and you will see many topics on the subject.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/7/2014, 8:18 pm

sanderson wrote:A bush summer squash can be planted in a corner square if there is room outside the box for it to fall over and grow. Use the search box for "vertical squash" and you will see many topics on the subject.

I did that kind of by accident last year. I planted a zucchini close to the edge of a box and as it grew it leaned toward where the sun was -- to the outside of the box. So lots of the vine wound up not in the box at all.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  larknoelle 5/7/2014, 8:34 pm

Thanks for the info, Sanderson. That's crazy because the chart in the back of the edition I have (it does say revised but I'm assuming then it's still the first edition of All New) says the exact opposite (3) per square for vine & (1) per square per bush.
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/7/2014, 11:11 pm

What is the name on the front cover? All New Square Foot Gardening? First Printing Revised Edition 2006?
I have both the 1st Ed. 2006 and the 2nd Ed., 20013. What page references the weird spacing? Is it a typo?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/8/2014, 7:49 am

I also plant on the outside squares of my tabletops and let the plants hang over the edge. 1 bush  per 2 squares.  But I still usually have to trim off a leaf or two from the inside edges to prevent overshadowing of the inner squares.  Tall plants like okra, peppers and eggplant (1 per square) are good on the adjoining squares.  Their tall, skinny stalks leave room for the low squash leaves.

I also have winter squash planted 1 per 2 square, outside edges but next to a trellis this year.  We shall see.  

This year I'm trying pumpkins (small fruit) 1 per square and vining up the cattle panel trellis.  I expect I may need to top dress them mid season to make sure there are enough nutrients.  I'm using the same spacing and trellis method for watermelon and cantaloupe. 

Now is I can just outwit the dreaded SVB.   Twisted Evil   I have everything covered in tulle until blooms start appearing.  Except the tomatoes and peppers that are in buckets.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/8/2014, 8:02 am

Hi Larknoelle!  Welcome to the forum!

I'm one of those types who like to push things.  (I've also got a LOT of trellising.)  So I'm trying 1/sq if not 2/sq.  We'll see what happens...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/8/2014, 12:15 pm

I also push things, averaging 1 per square. If I had room, I would plant 1 per 2 squares for vining squashes and melons.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  larknoelle 5/8/2014, 12:52 pm

It is First Printing Revised Edition 2006.
It's pg. 157 - on side it says 'Plants per two square feet' 'summer squash (1)'
Pg. 162 in paragraph 'Pruning Cucumber, Melons & More' specifically talking about vine squash it says 2 square feet per plant
BUT contrary to all of that above, the back chart on pg. 192 is I guess where the typo is 'summer squash' 'spacing per sq. ft' 'bush - 1; vine - 3'
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Post  larknoelle 5/8/2014, 12:58 pm

I'm still kind of confused.

We ordered 3 vines & planned to put it in 2 squares. We ordered 1 bush & had planned to put it in 1 square.

We pick up our seedlings on Saturday. Space is at a premium for us as we are only doing one 4X4 bed.

So... we definitely can't fit 3 vines in 2 squares, right?

My husband suggested we keep 2 of the vines & do all the squash 1 per square (so 2 vine in 2 squares and 1 bush in 1 square).

As experienced gardeners, does that seem problematic? & what will we encounter - a lot of pruning on the bush or the vine? (Still confused, sorry).

Thanks.
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 5/8/2014, 1:26 pm

First of all, do let it stress you out. Just consider it a learning experience and go for it. What I would do is plant your bush squash in a bucket instead of in your box. That will then give you three squares for your vining squash and I would go ahead and plant them one per square. If it ends up being too crowded or too hard to control later you can always sacrifice one...cut one out to give the other ones more room. 

If you have to put the bush plant in the garden, then I would put it in a corner square and train it vertically on a stake. It takes quite a bit of pruning to keep it contained but it can be done. And if you do that then I would only plant two of the squash vines in the other two squares.

The bush squash is a big plant with large leaves and hollow stems so it takes a lot of space.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/8/2014, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the page numbers.  Back chart on page 192 should indicate the following:

Cucumbers: 2 plants per 1 square foot (with trellis).  Their leaves are small so 2 will fit on that one linear foot of trellis.

Summer squash:  yellow straight- or crook-neck squash and zucchini:  As a bush, plant 1 per 9 sq ft (3' x 3'), unless you plant them in a corner square and let them fall over the side of the box.  The stems and leaves are long so the plant really spreads out.

Summer squash" vining varieties or trained to grow vertically, plant 1 per 2 squares. (2 linear feet of trellis or stakes).  Note:  I personally don't know of any "vining" summer squash.  However, with diligence, yellow and zucchini squash can be trained to grow vertically with a stake or trellis.

What exactly did you buy?  That will help us help you with the planting.  How big is your box?

PS While I was typing, Grandma wrote a reply. Yes, putting bush summer squash in large pots will free up the box for things that grow vertically (or are carefully pruned to grow vertically. There is a good YouTube video that clearly shows how to prune summer squash vertically. I'll see if I can find it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  larknoelle 5/8/2014, 2:27 pm

We ordered all three below: 

Zephr: Slender yellow fruits w/ green ends, pick small at 4-5” long for nutty flavor 
Sunburst: Bright yellow, patty pan type, pick young and cook whole for gourmet treat 
Straito d’Italia: Popular Italian variety, dark green with light stripes; excellent taste 

The guy orders from Johnny Seeds. We were able to find some but not the straito d'italia on the Johnny site. 

Zephr & Sunburst should be vining & the straio d'italia appears to be a bush from what we found online.

We were going to try one in each (2 trellis spots putting a zephr in one, a sunburst in the other; 1 regular spot putting the straito d'italia in that with stakes).

The only other option from the place we are getting our seedlings is below & I couldn't find any info about it online:

Spineless Perfection: Medium size, early, medium green, straight, cylindrical fruit, disease resistant
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 5/8/2014, 2:58 pm

Oops that should have said DON'T let it stress you out. 

Here's the video that Sanderson mentioned, Growing vertically If you go about 5:30 in the video you will see how he grows zucchini vertically, which will be the same for yellow squash. This works well and it's how I grew mine last year. I will be doing it again this year as well.

If you look at images of the plants they are all three bush varieties like zucchini and yellow summer squash. I saw the info on Johnny's about the Zephyr but their info is confusing as they describe it as a 5' vine and also say that it is 24" in height. lol Google the plants and then go to images and you will see what I mean about them being bush not vine.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  larknoelle 5/9/2014, 5:39 pm

Thanks, everyone! We will try 1 plant per square whether it's bush or vine but I will check with the farm tomorrow when we pick up to confirm the kind. Sometimes it's really hard to figure that out with squash & tomato!
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/2/2014, 7:33 pm

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/5352/how-to-grow-superb-summer-squash/page/all

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Summer squash question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  momvetkat 2/21/2015, 12:37 am

I know this is an older thread but I am so confused about planning my garden, I LOVE summer squash and because of my limited space I have only grown tomatoes for many years, Now that I have some space to garden those two were my priorities. Although I realize I am going to have to single stem my tomatoes, I remained skeptical about the squash. Anyway I have zucchini Black Beauty, White Scallop and a Green Pattypan. How do I know if they are vining or bush? I do have them at corners but how many squares do you recommend?
momvetkat

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/21/2015, 2:28 am

The packet should indicate if they are a "vining" type. (Personally, this semi-experienced gardener has never gown or seen one) Otherwise, consider them a wide, squat plant, with long single stem with long stems and large leaves. If they are in corner spaces, you can let them fall over the side If you want to grow them vertically, you will have to be dedicated. Older, lower leaves will fade and you can cut them off. Always leave the stem just below a female flower/fruit.

I

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/21/2015, 7:45 am

Squash, regardless of growth type, take up a lot of space above the ground. I give them space in a bed separate from everything else. I love patty pan squash!

Some images from the web

Summer squash question Squash-plants-6-27

Summer squash question Veggies_squash02

Summer squash question Return-from-summer-vaca-august-2010-001

Delicata
Summer squash question L-in-squash-patch-708

A trellised patty pan plant.
Summer squash question 2010_0725_173817AA

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Summer squash question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/21/2015, 9:07 am

Good NIGHT!  It looks like that Delicata is going to eat that woman!  Shocked

I found I had a problem with powdery mildew last year on my zuke.  I'll be trying whole milk spray this year...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/23/2015, 2:46 pm

Great photos, camp.  I can't imagine having to walk into those grounded squash plants in search of fruit with all that bare skin!  Ouchie wa wa!
affraid

Like Sanderson, I've yet to come across and vining summer squash, with the exception of an experimental 'Molly' squash (part Lebonese?) I had last year.  Two yrs ago I trellised my patty pan (bush) and it was fine.  But all my summer squashes get killed off by the squash vine borer so will need to be covered from now on.  Therefore they will go on the ground or in buckets & not be trellised.

Marie, there a zuke called 'Dunja' that is PM resistant. Sadly it's not SVB resistant.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 2/23/2015, 7:09 pm

I've had seeds come from the same package of zucchini that had bush habits, vining habits or somewhere in between (same tasty fruit, though, so I didn't care). Same with the original seed stock from whence came the "experimental" Molly squash CC mentioned. Oh, and that possible "lebanese" squash mix? The original parent 'Lebanese White Bush Marrow' was definitely a bush type. And even with a watermelon variety I grew once, the package said "bush" but it ended up vining.

I think if you have enough space in your aisles, putting them in a corner is a good idea just in case.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/23/2015, 10:54 pm

has anyone found a easy way to control those squash bug. I love the squash, but when they get big, it's a lot of work looking under the leaves to find the bug.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/24/2015, 6:06 pm

has55 wrote:has anyone found a easy way to control those squash bug. I love the squash, but when they get big, it's a lot of work looking under the leaves to find the bug.

A hand held battery powered shop vac after they have hatched.  I have heard that tape wrapped around your hand with the sticky part sticking out will get the eggs but haven't tried it.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/24/2015, 8:22 pm

yolos wrote:
has55 wrote:has anyone found a easy way to control those squash bug. I love the squash, but when they get big, it's a lot of work looking under the leaves to find the bug.

A hand held battery powered shop vac after they have hatched.  I have heard that tape wrapped around your hand with the sticky part sticking out will get the eggs but haven't tried it.
thank you yolos for the idea. I see wonderful and beautiful pictures of various squash plants, but never seen anyone say they have actually master, bringing the dreaded squash bug beast off it high horse without some time consuming search and destroy mission. The cabbage worm, just pick it off or simple application of BT, but not the squash bug. 
It's 2015, I'm hoping someone has found a quick safe way. I used to apply heavy mineral oil in a spray bottle , then wash the plant off with safe non toxic soap. But you can't find it in the drugstore anymore.It would stop the adult squash bug in it's tracks. It died in Whatever  position it was in when you sprayed it,. done, ditto., in seconds. 
I guess I need to search online for it and see if it still available.
But I also wanted to see if there was any other easy and quick to use tricks of the trade from the heart and minds of the thousands , maybe millions, but not quite billions  of international SFGardeners. Very Happy
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next