Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Summer squash question - Page 2 Toplef10Summer squash question - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Summer squash question - Page 2 I22gcj10Summer squash question - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Summer squash question - Page 2 Toplef10Summer squash question - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Summer squash question - Page 2 I22gcj10Summer squash question - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Summer squash question

+11
has55
mollyhespra
CapeCoddess
momvetkat
camprn
TxGramma
AtlantaMarie
walshevak
Marc Iverson
sanderson
larknoelle
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Summer squash question - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer squash question

Post  littlesapphire 2/24/2015, 9:19 pm

I've been growing trombocino (AKA rampicante) squash for the last two years, and it's a lot of fun.  I found out recently that it's technically a gourd, but you eat it just like a zucchini, and it tastes like a zucchini except maybe a little crisper (which I like!).  And it totally lived up to its name (rampicante means rampant in Italian).  It grew up my 5 foot trellis, back down the trellis, and then sideways for at least another four feet! 

Summer squash question - Page 2 Img_1310

Summer squash question - Page 2 Img_1311

And it's other name, trombocino, refers to the fact that it looks like a trumpet!  They get VERY long.  I've seen some pictures of them 6 feet long or more!  They did very well in my SFG on the trellis.  I bought the seeds through Territorial, though I will say they only gave me a small number of seeds in the packet, maybe 20.

Oh yes, and the best part of this squash is that it's not a zucchini type with the hollow stems, and doesn't have problems with SVB!  My zucchinis got decimated by SVB last year, but these guys kept going until frost.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/24/2015, 9:27 pm

wow , julie. this may be the answer for me. a plant that taste like zucchini. do you eat the whole fruit and when do you know the time to pick it?
Do they have a yellow squash version?
any problem with the squash bug or do "SVB" mean squash vine bug or squash vine borer?

I like your quote-
""A man who wants something will find a way; a man who doesn’t will find an excuse.""
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 2/24/2015, 9:37 pm

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, this is the only version of this kind of plant there is.  I've read that it's popular in Italy, but fairly unknown in America.  So it only comes in green Smile 

I do indeed eat the whole fruit; other than a slightly firmer texture, it's hard to tell it apart from zucchini.  I actually have to cut it into pieces to fit in in the fridge because it's just so long!  I think they tell you on the packet that it's best eaten between 12 and 18 inches, but the 2 1/2 foot one in the picture tasted just fine.  If you let them get too big, though, they basically turn into a winter squash.  I've heard that some people even grow this as a winter squash, but I like it as a zucchini. 

Yes, SVB is squash vine borer.  Do you mean this when you say squash bug?

Summer squash question - Page 2 Squash-bugs-1

If you do, I'll tell you that I actually don't get any squash bugs in my garden, at least none that I've ever found.  I do however always get SVB every year, but I had no trouble at all with this plant both years I grew it.  It also resisted PM a lot better than my zucchini, probably because it gets more air circulation.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 2/24/2015, 9:58 pm

AAAHHHH!!! Squash bug!
 They are a year round problem down here. The SVB is a seasonal problem both a absolute menace to the garden. At first I thought the Squash Bug was the assassin Bug because I found it in the Crepe Myrtles & some other ornamentals. Now I know better and squash them on sight.
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/24/2015, 10:19 pm

littlesapphire wrote:Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, this is the only version of this kind of plant there is.  I've read that it's popular in Italy, but fairly unknown in America.  So it only comes in green Smile 

I do indeed eat the whole fruit; other than a slightly firmer texture, it's hard to tell it apart from zucchini.  I actually have to cut it into pieces to fit in in the fridge because it's just so long!  I think they tell you on the packet that it's best eaten between 12 and 18 inches, but the 2 1/2 foot one in the picture tasted just fine.  If you let them get too big, though, they basically turn into a winter squash.  I've heard that some people even grow this as a winter squash, but I like it as a zucchini. 

Yes, SVB is squash vine borer.  Do you mean this when you say squash bug?

Summer squash question - Page 2 Squash-bugs-1

If you do, I'll tell you that I actually don't get any squash bugs in my garden, at least none that I've ever found.  I do however always get SVB every year, but I had no trouble at all with this plant both years I grew it.  It also resisted PM a lot better than my zucchini, probably because it gets more air circulation.
yes that's the bug. I saw a squash vine borer for the first time in my life last year. It was beautiful, but later found it took out two of my vine plants. so now it also is on the hit list. The squash bug is very attracted to the squash plants here in texas, then it will invade the melons and cukes. I have not planted it the last two years to have better success with my cukes and melons. but I love squash, so i'm thinking of growing it again, You suggestion creates hope.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/24/2015, 10:26 pm

I found this. it may help have the beautiful squash plants pictures we are seeing for a longer period.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 2/24/2015, 11:49 pm

Has55,
Thanks for the pest control tips. I'll give it a try soon.
 Craig
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/25/2015, 12:12 am

I don't get stink bugs, but aphids and spider mites were dominating much of my garden last summer so I'll be giving it a try.  Thanks for posting!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/25/2015, 2:11 am

TCgardening, please give us a update since you're already growing in the warm season. it still winter here. in other word, you take the point position in this mission.Smile
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/25/2015, 2:12 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I don't get stink bugs, but aphids and spider mites were dominating much of my garden last summer so I'll be giving it a try.  Thanks for posting!
seaweed wipes out spider mites.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/25/2015, 2:39 am

I have some kelp meal, Will that work as well if I make a "tea?"

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/25/2015, 9:12 am

littlesapphire wrote:I've been growing trombocino (AKA rampicante) squash for the last two years, and it's a lot of fun.  I found out recently that it's technically a gourd, but you eat it just like a zucchini, and it tastes like a zucchini except maybe a little crisper (which I like!).  And it totally lived up to its name (rampicante means rampant in Italian).  It grew up my 5 foot trellis, back down the trellis, and then sideways for at least another four feet! 

Summer squash question - Page 2 Img_1310

Summer squash question - Page 2 Img_1311

And it's other name, trombocino, refers to the fact that it looks like a trumpet!  They get VERY long.  I've seen some pictures of them 6 feet long or more!  They did very well in my SFG on the trellis.  I bought the seeds through Territorial, though I will say they only gave me a small number of seeds in the packet, maybe 20.

Oh yes, and the best part of this squash is that it's not a zucchini type with the hollow stems, and doesn't have problems with SVB!  My zucchinis got decimated by SVB last year, but these guys kept going until frost.

Hi ls!  Great to see you posting again!

Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to try these.  I just found & ordered them on Amazon with free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Trombocino-Heirloom-Stonysoil-Seed-Company/dp/B00HZLIHX4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424873529&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=trombocini+squash+seed

I don't know this company so the seeds may not even be any good but I need to try.  If I can just get one then I can save the seeds going forward.  

Is anyone familiar with this company?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/25/2015, 11:03 am

sanderson wrote:I have some kelp meal,  Will that work as well if I make a "tea?"
I don't know. kelp comes from the sea also. I'm sure it the salt that dehydrate the insects. the sea weed mixtures is concentrated. I believe it's 2 tsp to a gallon. kelp may work. I hope someone has tried it and can chime in.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2