Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids Toplef10Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids I22gcj10Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids Toplef10Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids I22gcj10Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids

+2
GWN
gwennifer
6 posters

Go down

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids Empty Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids

Post  gwennifer 5/7/2014, 10:06 am

I have not done any fact checking - just passing on information I've come across that claims neonicotinoids have been identified as the chemical responsible for all the colony collapse disorder problems around the world.  

Here is a wiki article on the class of insecticides called neonicotinoids.  In the article, there is a list of products on the market that contain neonicotinoids.

Here is an online petition you can sign urging Home Depot and Lowe's to stop carrying these products.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids Empty Re: Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids

Post  GWN 5/7/2014, 10:09 am

On May 24th there will be a world wide march against Monsanto, the main producer of Roundup    I am organizing an event in our town, but this site will tell you where the nearest event to where you are.

http://www.march-against-monsanto.com
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids Empty Re: Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids

Post  camprn 5/7/2014, 10:19 am

gwennifer wrote:I have not done any fact checking - just passing on information I've come across that claims neonicotinoids have been identified as the chemical responsible for all the colony collapse disorder problems around the world.  
Thanks for posting. This statement above is not true. Neonics  (neonicotinoids) and all pesticides probably play a part regarding CCD, but the true cause is unknown. I any case it is probably not one smoking gun in  CCD.

gwennifer wrote:Here is a wiki article on the class of insecticides called neonicotinoids.  In the article, there is a list of products on the market that contain neonicotinoids.

Here is an online petition you can sign urging Home Depot and Lowe's to stop carrying these products.

Here is a great site for information about pollinators and information regarding environmental hazards they face. A fabulous resource
http://www.xerces.org/

Also, if you go to the pests forum, in the stickies you will find links to a national pesticide database. Please keep in mind that all pesticides (herbicides, insecticides and fungicides) are toxic will impact any life they come in contact with.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/7/2014, 10:38 am

Please keep in mind that all pesticides (herbicides, insecticides and fungicides) are toxic will impact any life they come in contact with.

okay
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/7/2014, 10:48 pm

gwennifer wrote:I have not done any fact checking - just passing on information I've come across that claims neonicotinoids have been identified as the chemical responsible for all the colony collapse disorder problems around the world.  

Here is a wiki article on the class of insecticides called neonicotinoids.  In the article, there is a list of products on the market that contain neonicotinoids.

Some beekeepers are not supportive of banning neonics, because they think they'll be replaced with worse. I'm not sure, having retired before neonics came into common use. I know that many of the conventional pesticides are deadly. Even Sevin dust plastered all over home gardens will kill a lot of bees. The label forbids application on any blooming plant, but few read and follow the label, and there's no significant enforcement.

We are learning that things are a lot more complicated than we thought. We used to think that insecticides were the entire problem for bees. Herbicides were not thought to affect them at all, except that they reduced the amount of forage for the bees. And fungicides were not thought to have any impact.

But now it seems that herbicides and fungicides can also cause bee death, by interfering with the bacteria in the bees' gut that help them digest the hard shell on pollen grains.

If bees cannot digest pollen, they starve. So there are lots of answers that need to be forthcoming.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/14/2014, 8:01 am

Found an interesting article this morning on the Yahoo ticker:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scientists-may-finally-pinpointed-whats-221000439.html
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Bees dying/colony collapse - Neonicotinoids Empty The Chochrane Library

Post  plantoid 5/14/2014, 6:53 pm

The  trouble with"  WIKKI " & other social sites  is that anyone can and usually does post stuff on there ..much of it utter unsubstantiated twaddle .

During the course of my recently studying using a MOOC ( Massive Open Online Content ) course about " How to think better and make correct decisions " ,  I was guided to a fantastic source for checking things that have been correctly researched and examined ..... it's called the " Cochrane Library ".

It's a massive library covering zillions of subjects that have been or are being researched .

Perhaps look it up on a search engine and book mark it , for I feel that many of us will find a statement or two  out on the WWW and then use the library to see if it has any validity.

It is a technical library covering all manner of well researched things , best of all at the end of each subject researched is a plain English summary of the information with a simple conclusion .

Not all of the EU has banned the use of nicotinoids there are four or five countries who still happily use them including the UK .
 France banned them over five years ago & are still suffering SCC ( Sudden Colony Collapse )  at the same rate apparently .
You would think that such a large landmass free of the use of nicotinoids for over five years would show a massive reduction in the SCC rates if they were a major contributor to the problem.

One thing that has not been fully explored wrt SCC  is the nitrous oxide from car & vehicle  exhausts that are fitted with catalytic converters .
 Researchers are slowly but surely proving that this pollutant is having a much bigger say in our lives that was ever previously thought .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down