Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Toplef10Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA I22gcj10Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Toplef10Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA I22gcj10Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA

3 posters

Go down

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Empty Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA

Post  yolos 3/8/2014, 7:42 pm

I attended a two hour class today which was all about growing tomatoes in Fayette County, GA.  It was presented by Lester Bray (he has been growing tomatoes in Fayette County for 40 years).  It was very good and I learned a lot.  The information was not all specific to Fayette County so I thought I would summarize a few things I learned that I did not know.

A good place to order tomato seeds is totallytomatoes.com.  Also a seed company in Texas that is approximately the same growing conditions as we are is called Willhite in Poolville, TX.

Everyone who grows tomatoes in Fayette County will have either or both early blight and/or late blight so use a preventative fungicide spray.  If growing organic use a copper fungicide.  If not organic use Daconil 2787.  Spray every 10 days. Start spraying one week after planting.  You cannot cure a sick leaf so you have to prevent it from getting sick. 

Phosphorus does not leach out of the soil so you can get a build up over a number of years.

An organic spray for Aphids and white flies is Tri-Tech which is a mineral oil based spray.

His favorite tomato for taste is Cherokee Purple.  Goliath is very good for disease resistance and he said (I think) it could only be purchased from Totally Tomatoes.  It keeps well.  Do not buy Big Boy because it has no disease resistance.   Better Boy is a good one to grow here but the tomatoes do not keep well.  His favorite grape tomato is Juliet and for cherry tomato try Sweet 100.

He recommends buying transplants from Swints in Jonesboro or Fairburn Feed & Seed.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Empty Tomato Growing in Fayette County

Post  Windmere 3/9/2014, 7:32 pm

Hi yolos,

Your post immediately caught my attention.  Thanks so much for such a comprehensive summary of your class today.  What a wealth of information!

I have most certainly heard of Totally Tomatoes.  I have one of their catalogs.  I have come across a tomato called "Mountain Magic."  These tomatoes are supposed to be resistant to early blight and late blight (yet they are non-GMO).  I purchased mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYTHEHU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now I have 34 seedlings of all sorts of varieties. 

I am very grateful for you info regarding the copper fungicide.  Last season I was growing black krims.  I used a weak peppermint soap spray to control fungus.  My tomatoes did great, but my cucumbers and zucchini had some awful fungus issues...   I'm going to get some copper fungicide either today or tomorrow. 

I found an offering on Amazon made by Bonide Products:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UJVDXY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1I5LTXFN5N6F8&coliid=I61B87CGGXD4E

I saw a few plant offerings at Swint's the other day, but did not get any.  I'm going to keep Swint's on the back burner in case any of my seedlings fail.  It's good to know that Swint's is so highly recommended.

Thanks again for your awesome post!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Empty Re: Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA

Post  yolos 3/9/2014, 8:06 pm

Windmere wrote:Hi yolos,

I have most certainly heard of Totally Tomatoes.  I have one of their catalogs.  I have come across a tomato called "Mountain Magic."  These tomatoes are supposed to be resistant to early blight and late blight (yet they are non-GMO).  I purchased mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYTHEHU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Windmere.
In the handouts they gave us at the class, they list Mountain Fresh (VF Hybrid Unusually large and tasty tomatoes with a flavor that has been rated superior), Mountain Spring (Beautiful - 8 to 10 oz, bright red throughout, and resistant to cracking and blossom end rot), and Mountain Pride (Disease- resistant, Medium to large deep red, oblate fruits averaging 7 oz).  Nothing about Mountain Magic maybe because it is a large cherry.  I also have notes from the internet that say Mountain Merit is blight resistant - Determinate - Large - Red - 75 days - All American winner.  I don't usually grow determinates but I might try the Mountain Merit on staggered plantings.  I am not a fan of cherry tomatoes so I will pass on the Mountain Magic.  My notes from the internet also say Iron Lady (determinate, Medium size, Red) is Super Resistant to blight so I may try that also.

I better hurry and get seeds started.  Every time I think about starting seeds I remember my diseased tomatoes every year for the last four years and just kind of slack off starting tomatoes.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Empty Mountain Merit

Post  Windmere 3/9/2014, 8:26 pm

Yolos,

Thanks very much for the tip regarding Mountain Merit.  I am curious about a determinate tomato.  I've added it to one of my merchant "wish lists" and I might get some seeds later this week.  The problem with these blight resistant tomatoes is that they have a low percent germination rate.  This is a drag because the seeds are pretty expensive.  However, I guess a little money up front to help eliminate tomato decimation from blight is probably a wise investment.

The bulk of my varieties are cherry/pear tomatoes.  Our family really enjoys these strains, so they work best for us.

I'm planting a ton of seeds.  I will probably only keep one of each variety.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Empty Blight

Post  Rahab222 3/10/2014, 3:15 am

Yolos;

"Everyone who grows tomatoes in Fayette County will have either or both early blight and/or late blight so use a preventative fungicide spray."

Did the speaker say, "Why?"  Is it because of high humidity?

Thanks!
Rahab222
Rahab222

Back to top Go down

Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA Empty Re: Growing Tomatoes in Fayette Co., GA

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down