Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Toplef10deep boxes - how big can i construct them? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? I22gcj10deep boxes - how big can i construct them? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Toplef10deep boxes - how big can i construct them? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? I22gcj10deep boxes - how big can i construct them? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

deep boxes - how big can i construct them?

+3
VJ72584
gwennifer
Fotobarbara
7 posters

Go down

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Empty deep boxes - how big can i construct them?

Post  Fotobarbara 3/5/2014, 8:17 am

Here is Barbara. I live in Germany near Berlin and Potsdam. I'm just a beginner with SFG and want to build the first boxes. For long carrots or potatoes I can only find a recommendation for small 30x30cm-boxes or the pyramid solution. What is speaking again a normal box of one square-meter with a depth of 30 cm?
I would be happy about a quick answer.
Thanks 
Barbara
Fotobarbara
Fotobarbara

Back to top Go down

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Empty Re: deep boxes - how big can i construct them?

Post  gwennifer 3/5/2014, 11:05 am

Hi Barbara and welcome to the forum! My mother-in-law is German. Don't ask me where's she was from; I have no clue. She's lived here in the U.S.A since she was 18 but still has her accent.

Anyway, about building deep boxes... Yes, you can absolutely make your entire square meter garden box 30cm deep if that's what you prefer! Plenty of people here on the forum have done that. The point of Mel's book is that the majority of vegetables only need half that to grow, so why not save the money on the planting medium and only make it deeper for the few root veggies that need it. But it's your garden and you can build it how you like.  Smile 
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Empty Re: deep boxes - how big can i construct them?

Post  VJ72584 3/5/2014, 11:35 am

Hi Barbara.

I lived in Germany growing up and consider Bitburg in the Eifel area home.  I grew potatoes for the first time last year. My boxes are 30 cm deep. When the potatoes grew about 15 cm tall, I added a small box around them and added more soil. This box was about 15 cm deep. Mine only covered two squares but I grew a lot of potatoes in the small area. I hope it works as well for you.

Virginia
VJ72584
VJ72584

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 3/5/2014, 12:09 pm

Howdy, Barbara! - and a great big "Welcome!" from Texas.

I believe what Virginia refers to is also known as top hats.  Search the forum using "top hat" as your search argument and you will find pictures.   Using top hats only for those beds that need extra depth reduces the amount of Mel's Mix or soil needed.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/5/2014, 1:30 pm

Barbara,  Welcome to the Forum!   glad you\'re here 

Here are 2 photos of top hats.  The first box is new and doesn't have the grids, yet.  Using top hats can save money on Mel's Mix.  You only have to fill higher exactly where you want to plant something that needs extra depth.  The Mix in both boxes is only 6" deep.

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Top_ha12

This box is 10 1/2" tall but the Mix is only 6" deep.

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Top_ha13
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/5/2014, 5:19 pm

But just to be fair to the OP, she already saw the option for top hats and pyramids, etc. She wanted to know if she can build her whole bed 30cm deep and the answer to that is yes. It's her choice. That would be useful for an entire bed of carrots or potatoes.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 3/5/2014, 7:12 pm

My beds in Las Vegas are actually 16" (37.5cm) deep, with the bottom 4" (7.5cm) filled with sand, making the actual Mel's Mix depth 12" (30cm)...well, until it settles.

Works a treat for carrots and other root veggies!

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

deep boxes - how big can i construct them? Empty deep boxes - how big can i construct them?

Post  Fotobarbara 3/6/2014, 2:29 am

thank you for your help. I think, i will try the solution with the top hats .
Barbara
Fotobarbara
Fotobarbara

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/6/2014, 5:13 pm

Fotobarbara wrote:thank you for your help. I think, i will try the solution with the top hats .
Barbara
 Guten Abend  Barbara & Welkom ,

My beds are 900 mm deep  x 900 x 900 long and wide in runs of six beds at a time  ( they are built in engineering bricks & mortar )

The fill consists of 300 mm of fresh compressed stable manure with straw , paper & wood shavings. Then 300 mm of 30 year old leaf mould , then 300 mm of Mel's Mix made with about 9 different well composted ( Berkley 18 day hot composting method ) animal dung based manures & beddings . Plus the normal composted garden & waste a large garden and home generate .

They grew very big parsnips . radish, marrows , red beet root , . swedes , turnips , kohlrabi , cabbages , leaks , celery,  tomatoes , marrows peas , all sorts of  beans. The salad crops were outstanding.  Most of the plants with root balls were well down into the leaf mould layer .

Carrots in the first year were a bad idea as they had many roots instead of a single long tap root  as the bed fill was so nutrient rich. last year ( my 3rd  with ANSFG ...they have been better and less prone to multiple roots  as I have now got the square rotation system right .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down