Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  yolos 8/14/2014, 1:58 pm

If kitty can get under the tulle, so can SVB and squash bugs or anything else you are trying to keep out.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Marc Iverson 8/14/2014, 5:20 pm

What a cute little cat. Just the luck of the draw that yours is a garden pest, I guess.

It always amazes me to see people's gardens with so many uninterrupted healthy-looking leaves in a row. No matter where I grow around here, insect holes are the norm, not the exception, and disease is far from uncommon.

Don't take whatever good fortune you have for granted!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/14/2014, 9:31 pm

Yea! Marc finally has an avatar, and it's a winner! Marc everything in my garden is full of holes. These beans were the most perfect I've ever had, until now!  Very Happy I think it's the tulle against flying pests and table top against crawlers.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/14/2014, 10:35 pm

Very nice to see. My beans are actually looking pretty decent so far, but the cucumber beetles have arrived and I'm pretty skeered ...
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/15/2014, 9:09 am

Marc Iverson wrote:
It always amazes me to see people's gardens with so many uninterrupted healthy-looking leaves in a row.  No matter where I grow around here, insect holes are the norm, not the exception, and disease is far from uncommon.

+1  - Everything I grow has something wrong with it.  Every leaf on every bean plant has holes.  Eggplant leaves the worst.  Next year the eggplant gets a covering of tulle.  But most of the holey plants still produce okay so I do not spray with insecticides.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Insect holes

Post  rillgardens 8/15/2014, 9:53 am

When I used to sell at the Farmer's Market I regularly had customers who visited my booth because they saw insect holes in my leafy greans.  They said if there were insect holes, that reinforced the fact that I was organic!

I've always thought that was interesting theories.  But I guess it is also true that most organically grown produce does show signs of imperfection.  So I accept those insect holes as a sign that I don't spray.  The reality is if you grow your own food, you see that all your tomatoes are not the same size, all your carrots are not perfectly straight, all your potatoes do not weigh the same.  Nature comes is all sizes!
rillgardens
rillgardens

Female Posts : 32

http://www.fernwoodsocks.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/15/2014, 2:11 pm

rillgardens wrote:When I used to sell at the Farmer's Market I regularly had customers who visited my booth because they saw insect holes in my leafy greans.  They said if there were insect holes, that reinforced the fact that I was organic!

I've read that people in Japan tend to feel the same way about produce.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/15/2014, 2:37 pm

I grew up living with a grandmother who was an urban gardener (banana trees, oranges, nectarines, peaches, lemon, strawberries and more filled her probably 1/6 acre lot).  I wasn't given the luxury of throwing away less than perfect fruit - I would have been in for a scolding and probably more if I did!  We ate the other half of the peach that the birds left, LOL!  Bug holes in leaves were nothing in comparison to how much the birds loved her fruit.

Unfortunately, I remember all too well the smell of the pesticides she used and we inhaled.  She didn't know anything about organic gardening back then.  We buried the compost garbage in the ground, that was as close as we got to it then.  I wish my "nanny" were alive now to see all of the simple and productive ways we have to grow food now.  She would LOVE it!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/15/2014, 2:56 pm

102 in the mountains of CA tomorrow???  Crud, Audrey...you must be freezing at 82 today. 

At least YOU all are having a summer...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/15/2014, 3:00 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
Unfortunately, I remember all toowell the smell of the pesticides she used and we inhaled.  

Yeah, I don't know how many gallons of insecticide I must have inhaled from spray cans and those hand-pumped squeaky, drippy tin sprayers back in the day. We'd get covered with it.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/15/2014, 3:55 pm

When I was growing up in FL, we kids used to stand out in the street watching the low flying planes spraying for mosquitoes fly overhead.  The stuff would fall on us and we didn't think anything of it...
 Sad
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Away from Computer

Post  sanderson 8/16/2014, 10:13 pm

We are taking a mini-cruise and won't have any computer or cell phone access. Leaving home Sunday morning and returning Thursday afternoon.

I would prefer DH had booked it in the fall instead of in the heat of the summer. Oh, well. Got the worms fed, the black soldier fly larvae fed, the hummingbird feeder filled, veggie waterers set on midnight stealth (we can only water twice a week, ha, ha!) and kitty at the kennel. Any pepper, eggplant or summer squash near harvesting has been harvested. The single tomato eaten.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/16/2014, 10:34 pm

Have a good time, sanderson.  You sure seem to take a lot of trips.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/17/2014, 12:02 am

Where is your cruise to? We took one to the Bahamas a few years ago, I think I gained 10 lbs!!!! Our waiter was a pusher when he found out that I was dieting :-( It was beautiful and so relaxing. Enjoy yourself!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/17/2014, 1:18 am

The little one from Long Beach to Catalina Island to Ensenada back to Long Beach. A trial run.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/17/2014, 2:11 am

Ensenada?  Time for langusta! (cheap widely available local lobster)
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/18/2014, 7:47 pm

Ensenada manana!  Today was Catalina.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/18/2014, 7:50 pm

Bueno! Dos Cervezas, por favor! Con sal y limon, y algunas langustas tambien!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/18/2014, 8:00 pm

Que es "algunas?"  I bought a little international computer time.  I hate being unconnected with family.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/18/2014, 10:05 pm

I'd rather be where you are, I'm having to go out and treat my garden for spider mites  Sad 

I didn't realize until too late what was happening. Now I think I have to tear out all my green beans, they're too far gone, then spray everything else.

Enjoy yourself!
aj
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/18/2014, 10:56 pm

sanderson wrote:Que es "algunas?"  I bought a little international computer time.  I hate being unconnected with family.

sanderson, yeah, internet is all but indispensable IMO. Too much news and entertainment and even potential productivity on it.

"algunas" is "some".
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/18/2014, 10:57 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I'd rather be where you are, I'm having to go out and treat my garden for spider mites  Sad 

I didn't realize until too late what was happening. Now I think I have to tear out all my green beans, they're too far gone, then spray everything else.

Enjoy yourself!
aj

I hate those. Good luck with the nasty little buggers!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/19/2014, 1:45 am

We'll see how it goes. I pulled the oldest green beans. I sprayed my bush beans which are pretty gone but I'm going to give them a chance and see if I can pull them through. My purple pole beans were just starting to be affected so fingers crossed.

A cucumber went from rich beautiful green to yellow leaves in two days. Same with a spaghetti squash.

I read up on them, hot, dry and dusty and August - all the factors that describe my property. The garden is at the end of a 200 ft. gravel driveway and the wind blows straight to the garden so plenty of dust. Non-stop 100+ degrees as long as I can remember... *deep sigh*

Give my my virgin margarita and I'm catching Sanderson's boat!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/21/2014, 2:41 am

We dock in the morning and will be home sometime in the afternoon.  I'm dreading what I may find.  How has the weather been?  At least the corn and beans had a chance to grow with DC in the kennel.  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/21/2014, 11:49 am

Temps have been down this week, you may have timed it just right  Very Happy Looks like we'll have one more run at the high nineties and then we start into our fabulous, long, slow fall weather.  Welcome home!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next