Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 Toplef10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 I22gcj10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 Toplef10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 I22gcj10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

+17
Triciasgarden
floyd1440
donnainzone5
CapeCoddess
plantoid
Cajunsmoke14
slimbolen99
2SooCrew
Goosegirl
jimmy cee
llama momma
Marc Iverson
bnoles
sanderson
camprn
walshevak
Kelejan
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 Empty Re: How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

Post  plantoid 11/25/2013, 4:57 pm

I finally managed to get some leaf work done instead of leafing it alone.Laughing 

Result three large wheel barrows of fine mulched mainly oak leaf .
I've topped up three composter bins with it and started to fill a new bin solely with the mulch .. Back on station tomorrow , hopefully I'll break the back of it with another four or five loads of mulched leaf.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 Empty Re: How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

Post  yolos 11/26/2013, 12:24 pm

southern gardener wrote:just watched this vid on composting leaves. REALLY interesting.   what do you guys think?  I think he's right!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9OhxKlrWwc
I just watched this video.  Contrary to what a few posts in this thread said, the video says the leaves are very nutritious and provide all the nutrition that plants need.  That probably isn't 100% accurate, but still they do provide nutrition.

Also, for those of you who have access to coffee grounds.  He said 5 to 10 lbs of coffee grounds in a 4x4x4 bin is just right to help with the decomposition.  Since I have collected about 50 lbs of coffee grounds, I better get out and shred some leaves (which will reduce my 4 x 4 x 4 pile about 50%) so I will have to go suck up some more leaves.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/26/2013, 6:12 pm

Well,  well I never ,

I managed to fill the spare bin with mulched leaf today , had to compress it down several times as there was so much .

I've still got about another 1/2 cubic metres worth of mulched leaves to go tomorrow or on Thursday if the dry weather still holds.

What's the betting that as soon as I get it all tidied away the wind will spring up and tear the remaining leaves off the oak trees and cover the gardens and paths once again. Rolling Eyes
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2013, 12:16 am

No bets here.  I tidy up,  and then get pelted with new leaves.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 11/27/2013, 3:13 am

I'll get to join in the leaf madness this year, our new property has lots of deciduous trees so come autumn I'll be raking and bagging!
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 11/28/2013, 5:27 am

First thanks for the video. Always learning about composting and this was also entertaining too.

In this area the leaves have fallen and got my last load of leaves this week from my neighbor so now it is time for mother nature to do the work and the freezing and thawing should help break down the leaves by spring.  Then my plan is to add greens, most grass clippings and kitchen waste to the bin with last season's leaves.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/28/2013, 10:40 am

ericam wrote:I'll get to join in the leaf madness this year, our new property has lots of deciduous trees so come autumn I'll be raking and bagging!
You are fortunate to have it right on your property, congratulations!  I have to drive a few minutes to get to my best sources and load up and then unload everything.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 Empty final clear up ????

Post  plantoid 11/30/2013, 3:01 pm

Two more & a bit big loads of finely mulched oak leaves today see the vast majority of leaves cleared out of the garden and everything reasonable clear for the arrival of any bad weather ..

I just hope the" ......  lazy fellow ......  Laughing  "  next door pulls his finger out and clears the foot of leaves & dog muck off his garden & lawn before they are , " Gone with the Wind "  and arrive in  my garden instead.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/30/2013, 3:21 pm

plantoid wrote: before they are , " Gone with the Wind "  and arrive in  my garden instead.
We clean the leaves from our sidewalk gutters so they don't wash to the storm drain and clog it.  We are on a corner so we get the privilege of removing all the neighbors' leaves also!  Plus off the pretty front lawn and flower beds.  And no, I didn't save neighborhood leaves for composting.  Most have jiffy gardener services who apply chemical treatments.  I'm really trying to be commercial pesticide-free (except for occasional Neem) in the back yard where my boxes are.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 11/30/2013, 4:07 pm

I originally was not going to fool with collecting and saving my leaves this year since I had such an abundance of compost in the making, but then my lawn guy shows up to mow and clean up my yard from the leaf fall. I had one empty 3X3X3 bin available and let him put it all in there, it was just too much to bear to let all that good material go to waste. All of the leaves are finely shredded and he filled the bin as full as it could be filled. WOW! rock on 
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/2/2013, 1:12 am

Glad you took advantage of the already shredded leaves, bob. You will be glad later on in the year when you use that last load of leaves.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/8/2014, 6:13 pm

Just thought I would share a few statistics on my compost/leaf collection efforts this fall/winter.

It takes 25 gallons of leaves to make 5 gallons of finely shredded leaves.  That is an 80% reduction in volume just by finely shredding the leaves.

It took 65 five gallon buckets of finely shredded material to fill a 4 x 4 x 3 compost bin.  That is 325 gallons of uncomposted finely shredded material.

I filled the bin with:
13 five gallon buckets of finely shredded leaves
14 five gallon buckets of grass clippings
16 five gallon buckets of 1 year old horse manure with wood shaving bedding
22 five gallon buckets of four week old compost (50% leaves & 50% grass)
2 gallons coffee grounds
1 gallon alfalfa pellets
1 cup blood meal

It took about 5 days for the temps to get up to 140 degrees.  The pile stayed over 100 degrees for about 2 weeks.  I turned the pile after the temp was reduced to just below 100 degrees.  Added water, coffee grounds, a few handfuls of blood meal, and some alfalfa pellets.  The temps never went back above 100 degrees.  I just turned it again and added coffee grounds and a little blood meal.  It has only risen to 50 degrees this time.  It is either too cold or mostly finished composting.  But the oak leaves usually take at least 3 to 6 months to fully decompose so I don't really think it is finished.  I will just let it be for now and turn it every month just to keep it aerated and moist.  It was full of earthworms which is unusual for my yard to have any visible earthworms.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/8/2014, 7:01 pm

What with the freezing nights and now the rain, which should freeze things even worse once the temperature plunges again, I expect much of my pile is or will be simply frozen into a huge leaf and horse poo-poo rock. My pile was going like gangbusters after a while, but I expect I'll have to simply wait out the really cold weather before it picks up again.

At least in the meantime, those of us with freezing weather can still have our compost piles benefit from the way freezing and re-freezing crystallizes and breaks down plant cells.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/8/2014, 7:06 pm

I am hoping that this cold weather will break everything down and make my piles of leaves easier to turn to composting in the spring.

Had a nice compost pile going but am sure it is frozen solid.

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 4 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/8/2014, 9:33 pm

Yolos
I would be thinking your cold snaps aren't enough to drastically alter temp's in your compost piles.
Maybe you did the 18 day Berkley ???
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/9/2014, 2:11 am

yolos that was very informative about the makeup of your compost pile and must have reflected an enormous amount of labour with more to come.
No wonder you have earthworms, they have found worm heaven.
It would be interesting to get a soil test, even though I believe that compost itself is not  classed as soil for the testers. Or is that Mel's Mix that is not classed as soil?
You should be able to grow humungeous amount of veggies this year.  Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4