Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? Toplef10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? I22gcj10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? Toplef10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? I22gcj10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

+17
Triciasgarden
floyd1440
donnainzone5
CapeCoddess
plantoid
Cajunsmoke14
slimbolen99
2SooCrew
Goosegirl
jimmy cee
llama momma
Marc Iverson
bnoles
sanderson
camprn
walshevak
Kelejan
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? Empty How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

Post  Kelejan 10/7/2013, 5:32 pm

Today I mowed the lawn, probably for the last time this season. It was lightly carpeted with leaves from my eight very large birch trees which have provided me with fall leaves since 1997.
Last year I went all out as I wanted to make enough compost for 2013, which I am happy to say I did. All my beds now have a covering of compost and they wil be further covered by a layer of leaves and the rest of the leaves will start my new compost piles.
My tally of bags for last season was round about 70, but Llama Momma exclipsed everyone, I will have to look up her last year's tally.
So far this year my tally is Nil,  but I have several bags of grass clippings, and a few bags of horse and chicken manure so I am in better shape than I was last year when I started. Plus lots of veggie stuff in the freezer (I save evry bit of peels and wilted stuff that I can). My neighblour also drops off little bags of leftovers as well.
Right now the wind is blowing briskly and once again my newly mown lawn is lightly covered with leaves with many more to come.
This year will be easier for me as I have a "new" (cost me a dollar at a moving sale)wide-headed rake, whereas my old one was half the size and with tines missing.
Can't wait to start. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? Empty Re: How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

Post  walshevak 10/7/2013, 6:16 pm

NONE Sad  I've started my winter escape to the Philippines. In WDC area now and leave Wed night.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? Empty Re: How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

Post  camprn 10/7/2013, 6:21 pm

I don't use bags.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/7/2013, 7:38 pm

Zilch - the leaves haven't started falling yet!  I'd say in a month, Halloween, we should have some fallen leaves.

Actually I have a tiny bit of green leaves from pruning.  But I do have a new net compost bag, 60 gallon ??, to store the leaves this winter.  It's supported by a wire cage so it's easy to put the leaves in. I could even turn it??
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 10/7/2013, 9:29 pm

Not going to be too aggressive this year as I already have 2 cubic yards of compost finishing up. If anything I'll probably throw whatever I rake off the lawn into the chicken run and let them do the work for me. I went from nothing to a pretty good size compost operation in less than a year, especially with the chickens.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/8/2013, 1:33 am

I haven't wanted to rake the leaves, since we've had so much rain that the ground has been mucky more often than not. I just don't enjoy raking cold bio-goop over my feet and slipping about in it.

But my compost pile really needs the leaves. Aside from the occasional bit of newspaper and cardboard boxes, it's almost all greens. I think I'll have time this weekend to go for at least a few bag fulls.

Problem is avoiding all the Round-up places, which relegates me to the slippery hill out back. With my bad knee, slippery, uneven ground does not sound enticing.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/8/2013, 3:05 am

Marc, Just don't forget your cell phone in case you slip and can't get up! I slipped on a wet grassy slope about your age, and my left leg was cocked under my right. It hurt so bad I had to lay there for a while before even attempting to get the leg straightened out. No cell phone, laying there on someone's lawn, dreading that they might have dogs. I had just taken water samples at their well.

Cell phone - don't leave home without it!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/8/2013, 3:07 am

Kelejan wrote:
My tally of bags for last season was round about 70, but Llama Momma exclipsed ....
Kelejan
Had to look it up myself, guess I tried to erase the insane memory of 150 bags.  Won't need to collect as much this year.  Both corrals roughly 6 by 8ft. and either 4 or 5ft. tall compressed to about half the volume.  If anybody wants to see pictures of the craziness it is here on page 15.
   https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14020-leaves-compost-leaves?highlight=leaves

Last edited by llama momma on 10/8/2013, 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/8/2013, 3:29 am

LM, in the old link you mentioned possibly leaf mold from the leaf corrals. What exactly if leaf mold? Decomposed, crumbly leaves? Time for me to learn something.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/8/2013, 3:43 am

Briefly its good stuff.  Smile 
This is a nice small article I think you'll like   http://organicgardening.about.com/od/compost/a/LeafMold.htm
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/8/2013, 3:53 am

LM, Thank you for the post. I won't say I learned anything 'cuz Camp will quiz me on it!! Very Happy 

Seriously, I wanted to save leaves for next year's composting activities, but I think it would be nice to have some pure LM for my dirt flower beds. Maybe 50/50 this fall.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/8/2013, 3:58 am

Sounds good.  If I refer to myself as LM will people think there's  ol leaf mold or llama momma? Laughing  sorry, it's really late and I need some shut eye...
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/8/2013, 7:48 am

Last fall, before I ventured into SFG, I saved 2 bags of gathered up leaves. (I just like to save things)
After building a couple of compost bins this year, I'm collecting discarded veggies from a local grocery store.
Those 2 bags came in handy.
A friend of mine (row gardener) has been collecting a truckload of leaves from our borough trucks, these are nicely shredded from the fans that vacuum them in.
He uses these leaves the following season for his immense garden.
This year he had some left over and told me I could have what was left.
About 32 cubic feet I gathered, all leaf mold.
This material mixes nicely with the material form the grocers.
There will be nothing for our leaf gatherers to collect in my neighborhood this year, I'll have them all in bags for use when needed.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/8/2013, 7:58 am

Jimmy Cee, you are becoming quite the compostables gathering KING!!!  Sounds like you are in good shape for next year's garden.  okay

Personally, I intend to gather them all and put them right into the bins.  One side will be the active, the other will be the holding area for the extra leaves.  May need to make a pile outside the bin as well, but the area is fairly well hidden from sight.Razz 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/8/2013, 8:17 am

GG,
years ago my wife tried to explain how important compost was.
I did gather up stuff that was easy to find in our yard, however now I realize how much compost is valued at.
I enjoy the compost chore as much as gardening itself.
I owe this the the SFG book, it has taken over my life. so to speak.
Of course being retired, having physical ability, and being able to improvise has helped greatly.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/8/2013, 8:44 am

Jimmy Cee, you are making up for lost time in the compost department!  Keep it up!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/8/2013, 10:12 am

Goosegirl wrote:Jimmy Cee, you are making up for lost time in the compost department!  Keep it up!

GG
I just love it when people get the compost and worm bugs for the first time.
We'll save the world yet. Very Happy 
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/14/2013, 10:51 am

My tally has reached four bags, all shredded and mixed with saved grass and kitchen scraps and coffee grounds. Eventually my leaves will be corralled as I run out of "greens".
Meanwhile, today I will probably collect another few bags and keep up with the shredding and mixing. We have a whole week of dry, sunny weather forecast.
I must admit I am not aiming for 70 bags this fall as it was a lot of work in the spring turning all the leaves, especially the first turnover.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  2SooCrew 11/3/2013, 6:35 am

I agree w/ Jimmy Cree - this composting is addicting.

I'm going to the grocery store for fruits/veg's because  my Husband and I don't garner enough for me... I want a HUGE pile... Smile
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 11/3/2013, 8:08 am

Just mowed the grass for, hopefully, the last time this year.  Got a 65 gallon trash can full of grass clippings and some of the first leaves to fall, but...

We have a seven acre park behind our backyard.  Every year, the park service mows and bags all the leaves around the 10th of November and hauls them off (probably to the dump's compost pile).  Last year I snagged about 1/5th of them that they didn't have room on their trailer for.  This year, the park service agreed to dump the leaf / grass mulch along my back fence.  I'm expecting enough to fill up four 8'x4' compost piles four feet high, if not more.

I'm pretty excited because we've created four more 8'x4' square foot beds for next year (bringing our total to 12), and also created a lot more flower beds, so we'll need everything we can get.

The only problem with having that many leaves is keeping them wet enough during the winter, and turning them occasionally.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajunsmoke14 11/3/2013, 9:28 am

I have very few leaves, but tons of pine straw. Can you make compost out of pine straw?
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/3/2013, 9:54 am

Cajunsmoke14 wrote:I have very few leaves, but tons of pine straw. Can you make compost out of pine straw?
Yes.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/compost-pine-needles-44418.html

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/3/2013, 1:06 pm

I can't qualify how many leaves we have as yet ,  the  gales we got in the early hours of this morning blew most of the fallen ones away and left a few on the trees .

The covering on the fish pond had a good trash bag of leaves trapped under the edges of the pond net . ,  Alison cleared these out and out them in the composter whole whilst i set about taking down the trashed flowers in the raised flower beds.

Twas a good blow last night , just over 16 miles away there were recorded gusts of 98 MPH.
 Perhaps they will top the hundred ( ton ) to night .

With luck we might see the last of the trees lose their remaining leaves  and  get them cleared out of the garden for free  .... blown way down the hill to the village nearly 2 miles away  Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/6/2013, 4:36 pm

Never thought I'd be contributing to this thread since I don't bag my leaves but my neighbors unloaded on me today! One had his SUV full - 11 leaf bags of leaves mixed with grass, one had 2 giant tarps full of gardening debris and one had 2 huge wheel barrows full of grass - all are organic gardeners. I normally have 3 compost piles out there in different stages of development but now I can't find them. Shocked 

I was also given some Canna tubers & a Dappled Willow.

What a wonderful day!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/6/2013, 5:18 pm

I'm up to 54 bags so far with the promise from friends with more to come.  The nearby village again decorated lamp posts with corn stalks and pumpkins and agreed to give me everything later this week so they can put up Christmas displays.  Have to admit it was a fun adventure last year, this year I admit not as much fun but the need is there and I want this extra stuff as insurance to keep on hand for next years compost use too.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next