Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting Toplef10Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting I22gcj10Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting Toplef10Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting I22gcj10Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting

+7
plantoid
camprn
unit649
audrey.jeanne.roberts
southern gardener
landarch
fireboy
11 posters

Go down

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting Empty Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting

Post  fireboy 9/30/2013, 8:06 pm

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting from an already established vine?
If so, please give me the "how-to". I have been trying for some time now from readings from a gardening website a couple of years ago, of which I can't remember now. But my efforts have been useless!

Any and all help will be appreciated!
fireboy

Male Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting Empty Re: Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting

Post  landarch 9/30/2013, 8:52 pm

yes it is...you should be able to break off sucker stems, stick them in some soil, and keep it watered.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting Empty Re: Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting

Post  fireboy 9/30/2013, 9:03 pm

landarch wrote:yes it is...you should be able to break off sucker stems, stick them in some soil, and keep it watered.
Thanks landarch
I haven't tried just sucker stems yet, but I will. But, I've tried 25 to 30 times just breaking and cutting off stems and planting them to just placing in water. I did have some luck with growing in water. But when I planted it in soil it died.
fireboy

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/30/2013, 9:14 pm

fireboy...I've had EXCELLENT results just planting the sucker right in my soil. Make sure you are getting a sucker, and not just a leaf. the sucker will grow in the "crotch" of the main stem and a leaf. If you do a search here or google it will show it better. I just stuck a screwdriver in the soil to a depth of about the same length as the sucker, in other words bury the whole sucker and just leave the top of the sucker sticking out of the soil. Water well, and it should take off. Be sure to trim off any side branches, shoots etc of the sucker so only the very top of the sucker has leaves. I also trim off any flowers if there are any, so the plant will put it's energy into growing and not fruiting. I did this with a brandwine plant, and WOW!! Check out my thread on loaded brandywines. That plant is still going!! Good luck
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/30/2013, 9:15 pm

I did it this spring. I picked a long sucker off the plant and decided to grow it so I plopped it in water, put in on a sunny window sill and let it grow a good root system before I transplanted it.

The plant I did this with has taken over my hillside! I never got around to trellising it (cherry tomato) so it's climbing everywhere.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fireboy 9/30/2013, 9:33 pm

Thanks landarch, southern gardener and audrey.jeanne.roberts

Looks like the sucker stem is the way to go. Thanks for all your help!
fireboy

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 10/1/2013, 3:41 pm

I have had great success planting large Brandywine Tomato suckers directly in my Mel's Mix.  They wilted back a little but came right back with good watering. 

Here is a pic from right after they were planted on August 12th .
Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting 20130849

This picture from today shows the suckers growing nicely, with the slightly taller mother Brandywine plants in the back left.
Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting 20131010
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/1/2013, 5:55 pm

fireboy wrote:
landarch wrote:yes it is...you should be able to break off sucker stems, stick them in some soil, and keep it watered.
Thanks landarch
I haven't tried just sucker stems yet, but I will. But, I've tried 25 to 30 times just breaking and cutting off stems and planting them to just placing in water. I did have some luck with growing in water. But when I planted it in soil it died.
you have to make sure it is a true stem and not a leaf. look for little nodes on the stem, these will eventually sprout roots. Leaves do not have the root nodes.
Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting Tomato_Stem_Primordia
http://gardener.wikia.com/wiki/Tomato_stem_primordia

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/1/2013, 6:25 pm

This afternoon I took the lid off a composter that had old fully harvested ( cleared out the garden )  tomato vines placed in it a 8 days ago  so I could add more compostable material .

Lo & behold ..... I found several feet of main stem vines covered in zillions of 1/10 "thick  by  thick 3/4 " long roots all ready for cutting into 3 inch lengths and planting out .
 They weren't covered with any thing ,  just running willy-nilly in the dark and moist interior of the lidded compost bin .

It's a  pity it's nearly winter and it won't be viable , as I've been practicing how to hot water bath preserve toms earlier this today .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/1/2013, 9:47 pm

Camp, That's a nice photo of what to look for. Should help all Newbies.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/2/2013, 12:16 pm

Fireboy after you got roots growing on your stem while it was in water, is there a chance you didn't harden off your plant by exposing it to increasing sunlight for several days before you exposed it to full sunlight?  If it didn't get hardened off, that may be a reason your plant didn't make it.  You do still need to go with a stem and not a leaf as has been mentioned above.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting Empty tomatoes

Post  2SooCrew 10/3/2013, 11:38 am

SFG book pg. 159

"No matter how large the sucker or side branch, you can stand it in a glass of water and transplant that into the ground as soon as the roots sprout. Or, you can stick those suckers in a cup of vermiculite, and keep that in a saucer of water, and they will also sprout roots.  They are great, free plants for a late rharverst for canning, juice, or preserving."
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/3/2013, 4:46 pm

Oh Plantoid it sure figures that they produce roots right before winter!  That's too bad!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/3/2013, 1:23 pm

This is the tiny cutting I managed to take off the tomato vines before the DVT episode hit me.
 I know it's not what was supposed to be the intended cutting ,which was three inches long but by the time I came out of hospital a sharp frost had zapped it.

So I had to be satisfied with the tiniest of cuttings about 1 & 1/4 inch long with five leaves on it, taken from low on the stem which was protected by weeds.  Even this tiny cutting  has had a hard life .. a few days ago I spent almost 24 hrs. back in emergency admissions . In the upset of normal life   Alison forgot to take the cutting off the window sill .

It got a tad too cool so it died yet again Embarassed Rolling Eyes  .

Today I've given it first aid  yet again  in the form of an egg cup with a ladies makeup pad remover soaked in room temp water .

The aim of the original experiment was to take a cutting off a plant that gave me the best beefsteak tomatoes and try and keep it growing over winter till the middle of May 2014 and then pot it up ready for growing on in the green house . If it became too big a cutting I was going to take several new cuttings off the original cutting.

If this one survives I think I'll have to call it " Lucky"Laughing 

I'll keep you all informed about it's fight for survival... So folks  don't miss the next weeks  thrilling instalment of " Lucky's survival at Plantoids . Wink 

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting IMG_4903_zps55a7a1d5
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/3/2013, 1:49 pm

Plantoid,  Only a gardener would  . .  .  nurse a teeny cutting in an egg cup!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/3/2013, 1:54 pm

plantoid wrote:This is the tiny cutting I managed to take off the tomato vines before the DVT episode hit me.
What is DVT?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is it possible to start tomato plants from a cutting WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/3/2013, 4:03 pm

Deep vein thrombosis ... the start of blood clots developing in the veins deep in your muscles ..in my case both legs from ankles up to my upper groin, biggest block in both groins  (Rolling Eyes  a wee bit  painful) , caused by diabetes and inactivity due to disabilities

Twas a bit of a close call for if a clot had broke free and gone to my lungs I'd have been in serious trouble.
Or 
 If they had got much bigger I'd have lost blood circulation ikn my legs  and like as not  developed ulcers or gangrene.

Things are a bit more saner now as I'm eating prescribed Warfarin tablets ( rat poison ) that stops the blood clotting anymore than needed . Mean while very gentle exercise  and my bodies natural defences should see the clots dissolve over the next 2 & 1/2 months  of medication.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 12/3/2013, 9:30 pm

Glad you are better, Plantoid!

Some tips on taking cuttings from tomatoes:

1. It's important to get a clean cut with a very sharp knife or razor. I think it also helps to get it on the diagonal.

2. Don't let the cutting dry out, even for a few minutes. Water is moving upward through the circulation of the stem. If air is pulled in to the cut area, then it will prevent any further water from coming up the stem, even if you put them in water at that point. So make your cutting, and immediately put in water. If you can't do that within 30 seconds, then when you do put it in water, make a fresh cut an inch or so above the original cut. Hopefully the air will not have moved above that point.

3. You can purchase rooting hormone (expensive), or you can make your own, by soaking some willow twigs in water overnight. Bruise or nick them in a number of places so the plant juices will diffuse into the water. Then use that water to put your cuttings into for 24 hours.

4. After they've soaked up some rooting hormone, place them in some vermiculite or sand that is kept moist.

Sometimes, no matter what you do, it fails. But most times they will root readily. Failure is usually due to mold in the area of the cut end.

I have about 20 rooted cuttings in my greenhouse right now, hoping to keep them going to maybe get some fresh 'maters in the dead of winter, or at least by early spring. A few have a cluster of blossoms already. I expect to have to bring them inside, if we have an unusually cold night.

I've kept full sized tomatoes right up until the first of the year and picked tomatoes off them, until they froze for the past two winters. They were huge plants in five gallon buckets with stakes, so I couldn't take them inside. This year my full sized tomatoes were too diseased (rainy season) to save. I have only mature peppers, some herbs, and a lemon tree in the greenhouse.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/4/2013, 6:53 am

Thanks Pollinator
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down