Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Toplef10If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change I22gcj10If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Toplef10If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change I22gcj10If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

5 posters

Go down

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Empty If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

Post  lyndeeloo 8/4/2013, 9:20 pm

It was beautiful this afternoon, working in the garden and drying some herbs, enjoying the sunshine. Then a sudden thunderstorm rolls in and we run for the house. Heavy rain and then OMG, HAIL.
If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Img_1829
and more hail, some the size of large marbles.
If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Img_1830
strawberry plants knee deep in hail
If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Img_1831
I can't believe how it shredded the leaves or blew holes right through them. Leaf litter everywhere. I may have lost the top 2 feet of 4 nice tomato plants that had grown above their trellis. I'll get some 8 foot poles tomorrow and try to tie them up to save them. New England weather is never boring!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Empty Re: If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

Post  camprn 8/4/2013, 9:34 pm

We had hail in my neck of the woods too, just not right over my garden. It can be devastating, but it looks like most of your garden came trough well. The plants will make more foliage. Hang in there.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change Empty Re: If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

Post  CapeCoddess 8/5/2013, 10:49 am

OMG!  I was watching that micro-burst on the computer radar.  It was all yellows and oranges, and as it came over the Cape the wind went wild but the storm divided right over our town (as do most rain clouds Sad ) but we could hear the thunder and I could see how severe it was north and south of us.  Haven't heard about the other Cape towns that got hit yet, so I don't know the results.

Hope all is well...
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2013, 11:02 am

Oh, wow, Lyndeeloo!  The size of your hail was pretty large.  I hope you're able to salvage those plants.

DH & I got caught in that (or similar) storm while on a bike ride yesterday.  We had to pull over & duck under the tarp we carry with us for just such an eventuality.  Even though we were on a path that was bordered by forest and had a sizeable canopy of leaves over us, we got peltered by some good sized hail.   I was really worried about what I'd find when I got home, but if we got any hail in town, it didn't do much damage, thank goodness. 

We were on an old rail trail about an hour North of us and at a higher elevation, but I don't know if that matters much.  We should have looked at the forecast before we decided to go on the ride, but it looked so sunny & nice when we left the house...
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/5/2013, 12:12 pm

There is some buzz about the potential for frost overnight tonight. Mind your weather forecast.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2013, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the head's up, Camp.  DH wanted to light the woodstove last night (but we didn't, not that it wasn't fairly chilly overnight, just trying to deny the inevitable, I suppose) and it hasn't gotten much above 60 with a crisp of Fall in the air.  It's a-comin'.  If not tonight, then soon, I'm afraid...

Sad for my unripe toms, peppers, squash, beans, corn...

What a "summer", eh?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/5/2013, 1:59 pm

This weather is actually perfection. The plants are growing, putting on bloom, not suffering from the heat... just gotta watch the temp tonight. It will warm up again, but hopefully not be oppressive.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/5/2013, 4:16 pm

I'm loving this weather here is southwestern Maine.  Most of the rain comes thru the nite and from one tenth to 4 tenths inches as a rule.  In the day time, mostly sunshine and in the 70s.  This week low and mid-70sF so it perfect.  Got a half inch of rain mid-afternoon yesterday but no hail, thank goodness.  The plants are loving it except for the excessive rain bringing on some early blight to my tomatoes, even the hybrids.  I guess nothing can escape when we get almost nightly rain.
I'll just try to enjoy the cool breezes.  We're sure to get some heat in the high 80s this month, we always do.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down