Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+91
TCgardening
nycquilter
svanahgirl129
Gilly21
NEWBIE99
GardenGroupie
68carguy
VJ72584
Windmere
jrfrommd
dilewis
FeedMeSeeMore
davecourington
sfgbeginner
Cajunsmoke14
GloriaG
AtlantaMarie
tagyourit
bonnie0128
kauairosina
Gardendog
dstack
Roseinarosecity
Applegate
AvaDGardner
GWN
pattipan
Cherbear
cyclonegardener
jimmy cee
2SooCrew
Nonna.PapaVino
sfgteachers
Pollinator
cheyannarach
Windsor.Parker
TxGramma
Pox
sfg4uKim
unit649
meatburner
boffer
Kelejan
wcfujita
Robind
jmsieglaff
greatgranny
Thomas
grownsunshine
pryz123
darci.strutt
landarch
mrwes40
jewlz2121
johnp
R&R 1011
WriterCPA
NAR56
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
brainchasm
Amethyst42
SalsaMom
donnainzone5
Cheryl5
simpletwist
Josh
yolos
quiltbea
Turan
walshevak
sarah465
mschaef
herblover
lyndeeloo
camprn
bnoles
plantoid
southern gardener
llama momma
FamilyGardening
kbshark
Dunkinjean
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Nicola
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
gwennifer
95 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  GWN 1/20/2014, 6:43 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_1911

winter squash cookies with Musquee de Provence squash.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Goosegirl 1/20/2014, 7:00 pm

GWN wrote:What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_1911

winter squash cookies with Musquee de Provence squash.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 4022887542 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/20/2014, 8:15 pm

lol!    IN Fact... these VERY cookies where made by the VERY squash   Musquee that is in my  avatar picture....   good thing I did not name it  Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/21/2014, 2:49 am

oh my goodness  lol! I decided to read one more thread before heading to bed and started on the next page back with the caterpillar hiding in planetoids kale  What a Face I could not stop laughing  happy smile ....that thing was HUGE  nanana how did the staff miss that?  rofl I cant imagine what kind of dream I will have tonight, im just thankful  gracias for GWN's squash cookies for desert!!

good night
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/21/2014, 3:08 am

GWN, Did you post the recipe in the recipe section?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/21/2014, 6:30 am

GWN wrote:lol!    IN Fact... these VERY cookies where made by the VERY squash   Musquee that is in my  avatar picture....   good thing I did not name it  Smile

Yes, hard to enjoy when you are thinking "Fred sure is tasty!"  tongue 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/21/2014, 9:55 am

Sanderson I have not found recipes.... Embarassed
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/21/2014, 11:29 am

FamilyGardening wrote:oh my goodness  lol! I decided to read one more thread before heading to bed and started on the next page back with the caterpillar hiding in planetoids kale  What a Face I could not stop laughing  happy smile ....that thing was HUGE  nanana how did the staff miss that?  rofl I cant imagine what kind of dream I will have tonight, im just thankful  gracias for GWN's squash cookies for desert!!

good night
rose

I think Alison's laser eye surgery might need redoing .. apparently when the kale was cooked , on my plate & Fred on my fork she thought there was another hiding therein but couldn't speak for laughing.

Never one to be fussy about my food......  I closed my eyes and ate everything . As I usually practice ....  " What the eyes don't see the heart don't grieve "

I must confess though after this episode of Crazy Cooks in the Kitchen  , I'm a bit concerned about the coconut & beef curry with rice we're having tonight , for I'm sure there's a dead rat  down the garden that's got  maggots in it.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/21/2014, 1:26 pm

GWN, Go to Home, scroll down to Recipes. There are several categories.  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty Name of that tree spinach

Post  kauairosina 1/21/2014, 1:56 pm

My hanai grandson, Collin, says the name of that tree spinach is Chaya and, as I recall, Dr.Weil thinks it's great stuff.

Gonna make breadfruit curry tonight and lilikoi cheesecakes (batter left over from last weekend).
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/21/2014, 2:07 pm

Used some frozen salsa cooked alongside scrambled eggs this morning.
Really nice kick of flavor.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/26/2014, 8:57 pm

Hubby was in the mood for salad. He had 4 different varieties of lettuce, kale and our first radish of the season Smile

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Salad210
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/26/2014, 10:29 pm

SG....oh my....a salad fit for a king!  Very Happy 

we are still enjoying some fresh kale, leeks and onions, I think we may even have some collard greens that really didn't do much over last years season, but it starting to do very well now....LOL....I think where it was growing it was shadded out by other cole crops.....and when we were cleaning out the bed we found this small beauty....think we will make something with the collard greens and see how it taste  Very Happy 

everything else from the gardens is either canned, frozen or dehydrated

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/26/2014, 11:12 pm

Rose, I've never grown leeks, are they easy/fun? what do you do with them? My garden is taking off, and I'm kind of anxious to grow more stuff!! Our collard greens are doing really well, but I don't know what to do with those either?? Any tips for some yummy stuff?? I saw on your other post, you'd like to walk through my garden, wouldn't that be fun?? If you're ever down this way........We are SO spoiled with our weather, that's a fact!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 1/26/2014, 11:33 pm

DW of thirty years wanted to clean the freezers and make a soup in the crock pot.  We dug out carrots, peppers, onions, green beans, all from the garden.  Added some chicken and turkey from the holidays, and some garlic still good from the garden.  Added one quart of home made chicken stock and one quart of home made veg stock, salt, pepper, bay leaves. Celery and potatoes were store bought.   Frozen parsley, basil, oregano and tyme from the garden.  Put this on about 4:00 in the crock pot on high and dug into it after church about 8:30.  OH MY!!!!!!!!
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty for salad tonight

Post  kauairosina 1/27/2014, 1:43 am

Picked endive, lemon basil, arugula, celery leaves and skinny stems (we don't get fat stems here yet), parsley to add to beautiful farmers market lettuces, red and green.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/27/2014, 3:09 am

southern gardener wrote:Rose, I've never grown leeks, are they easy/fun?  what do you do with them? My garden is taking off, and I'm kind of anxious to grow more stuff!!  Our collard greens are doing really well, but I don't know what to do with those either?? Any tips for some yummy stuff?? I saw on your other post, you'd like to walk through my garden, wouldn't that be fun?? If you're ever down this way........We are SO spoiled with our weather, that's a fact!!

we LOVE our leeks, they are similar to a green onion but more mild and sweet!

they take anywhere from 90-120 days to fully mature, but you can eat them at any time....they will grow taller then a green onion, and we eat mostly the bottom half...they also over winter well for us.....

our son doesn't care for onions ( green onions he like as long as they are saute) he will ask what this green stuff is .....I tell him its leeks and he eats it up  Very Happy 

if you have some space to fill and you wont need that space for a bit....give leeks a try  Very Happy 

we love potato, bacon and leek soup!

I will also use the leek in any meal that calls for onions

I haven't tried it raw though.....because its soooo good sauté with bacon or butter!

not sure how it would taste uncooked...we should try it some time....

the way to grow them is to start them like you would a onion .....then transplant the leeks once the sets are big enough to transplant.....you are to make a hole or trench and plantthe start into it....not adding any more soil, as you water then the soil will slowly fill back in to the hole and as the leeks continue to grow you are to push soil up and around the leek so it becomes blanched.....here is a video that we used to learn how to plant leeks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOMLreohAbo

that is how we use to do it! Smile

now all we do is transplant them in a hole and cover the square with woodchips and let them grow....no more hilling and they came out wonderful!

this year we are also going to plant some new leek seeds from Burpees exclusive *Dawn Giant* that you no longer have to start them first as sets, you just direct sow
them like you would anyone green onion and they mature faster in 98 days. They get to be about 15 inch's long and 2 inch's across....we are going to direct sown them with woodchips on top and let them be  Very Happy 

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/27/2014, 3:17 am

meatburner......sounds  hungry  delicious!! some of our best soups came from cleaning out the frig and freezer!

kauairosina ....sounds like you had a wonderful fresh salad!....I have been curious about lemon basil....how does it taste....more like lemon or more of a basil taste?....as with your celery....did you plant regular celery? or cutting celery?....the reason I asked is because you mentioned you only get little stalks....that's how cutting celery is...small stalks with lots of leaves....our regular celery will get much bigger stalks....just thought I would mention it to you  Very Happy
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/27/2014, 4:02 am

FG, What variety of celery do you plant for "regular" celery? Mine are skinny and really spread. I tried wrapping one but it was too tough to enjoy as a fresh celery stalk.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/27/2014, 4:38 am

sanderson wrote:FG,  What variety of celery do you plant for "regular" celery?  Mine are skinny and really spread.  I tried wrapping one but it was too tough to enjoy as a fresh celery stalk.

in 2012 we grew Tall Utah, #527OR, Improved from Ferry-Morse, picture below is from Burpee web site.....

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Prod0010

here is our celery in July of 2012 during its blanching....you wrap something around the bottom of the celery about two weeks before harvesting, so that it will become pale and sweet.....

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Dscf0011

here is some of the same celery in 2013 that was planted and harvested in 2012 but we cut it down to a stump and it took off and over winter  Very Happy 

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Dscf0012

here is some more of our 2012 celery that we pulled up in the fall of 2012 and transplanted into the green house to over winter and allowed it to go to seed

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Dscf0013

couldn't find a picture of our cutting celery but it looks like this and is considered an herb...its more of the leafy tops that doesn't grow to much in height and has very small thin stalks.....our did very well and over wintered great! we have some growing in our SFG.....picture is from Thompson & Morgan web site

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 2412_210

ok was able to found a picture of our 2013 cutting celery in our back garden its in a little wooden container growing between our leeks  Very Happy you can see how it grows closer to the soil....

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Dscf0112

hope this helps.....its sure nice to have some celery flavor in the winter....in fact we should be harvesting some of it.....maybe even dehydrating some....forgot all about it until now....LOL...its been too cold to go out!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/27/2014, 12:18 pm

My hot chili peppers are ready to harvest, as is the cilantro, so put together with the fresh tomatoes and onions (all growing in the greenhouse) we're having a Salsa party.  Y'all are welcome!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/27/2014, 1:41 pm

Frozen pureed roasted tomatoes from last harvest into the chicken soup just enough as a background flavoring and adds a nice color depth to the broth.   Much appreciate today with the current temperature of 11 and expecting minus zero temps tonight.
 lots o
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/27/2014, 3:01 pm

Rose, Thank you. Tall Utah is what I started from seed Feb 2013. I still have 3 of them growing nicely. Maybe they will be better now that they are "aged."  Embarassed 

Audrey, will you prune and keep growing the same plants of hot chilis? I see some green life sprouting from the main stems of the potted peppers that over-wintered in the mini green house. I was thinking of trimming some roots, add new compost around the ball when I re-pot, and grow this summer.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty hot chilis

Post  kauairosina 1/27/2014, 5:32 pm

I'd say yes, to trimming chilis.  We carry our pepper plants on for many years.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty cutting celery

Post  kauairosina 1/28/2014, 11:42 am

We grow Utah.  I'm going to try that cardboard sheathing.  Might work.  The celery is vigorous otherwise. Beautiful and tasty.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next