Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:36 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:34 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:24 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+91
TCgardening
nycquilter
svanahgirl129
Gilly21
NEWBIE99
GardenGroupie
68carguy
VJ72584
Windmere
jrfrommd
dilewis
FeedMeSeeMore
davecourington
sfgbeginner
Cajunsmoke14
GloriaG
AtlantaMarie
tagyourit
bonnie0128
kauairosina
Gardendog
dstack
Roseinarosecity
Applegate
AvaDGardner
GWN
pattipan
Cherbear
cyclonegardener
jimmy cee
2SooCrew
Nonna.PapaVino
sfgteachers
Pollinator
cheyannarach
Windsor.Parker
TxGramma
Pox
sfg4uKim
unit649
meatburner
boffer
Kelejan
wcfujita
Robind
jmsieglaff
greatgranny
Thomas
grownsunshine
pryz123
darci.strutt
landarch
mrwes40
jewlz2121
johnp
R&R 1011
WriterCPA
NAR56
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
brainchasm
Amethyst42
SalsaMom
donnainzone5
Cheryl5
simpletwist
Josh
yolos
quiltbea
Turan
walshevak
sarah465
mschaef
herblover
lyndeeloo
camprn
bnoles
plantoid
southern gardener
llama momma
FamilyGardening
kbshark
Dunkinjean
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Nicola
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
gwennifer
95 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Marc Iverson 10/9/2013, 10:34 pm

What's a "baton"? If it's just a spelling error and I'm being dim, please excuse.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Goosegirl 10/10/2013, 5:27 am

Marc Iverson wrote:What's a "baton"?  If it's just a spelling error and I'm being dim, please excuse.
Fancy way of staying "stick".  Sounds better in a recipe.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/10/2013, 7:06 am

Oh GG ,  Oh my Oh my ...... Laughing    

Carrots baton are a French way of presenting carrots as little prepared batons of carrot about 1/4 x 1/4 by 2.5 " long made from peeled carrots cut length wise down a 2.5 portion of carrot.

In the real posh French slop jockey  joints around the world the section of carrot is first cut to  square the section perimeter .
The  off cuts being used for carrot puree or adding to swede and mashing it up , only the squared sections will be cut into batons so they each have a square profile .
 It takes a trainee chef a couple of hours of carrot prepping before they become proficient in making batons . 

Sticks .......  indeed ..    Sacra Bleu @ ... The French will be  rioting tonight  .... be sure of it Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/10/2013, 7:20 am

Have Russian variety of purple peppers that are still producing.  Here I thought peppers hated any kind of cold temps, anyway, last night those were made into strips that were olive-oiled and broiled with sausages and garden tomatoes with a side of mashed German butterball potatoes and little side of home made apple butter.
Isn't it fun how an enjoyable meal makes the world all good again for the time being?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/10/2013, 8:09 am

llama momma wrote:Have Russian variety of purple peppers that are still producing.  Here I thought peppers hated any kind of cold temps, anyway, last night those were made into strips that were olive-oiled and broiled with sausages and garden tomatoes with a side of mashed German butterball potatoes and little side of home made apple butter.
Isn't it fun how an enjoyable meal makes the world all good again for the time being?
Are you going to try and save any seeds from them ?

It sounds like a worthwhile exercise if they cry on producing  a few weeks into the cooler weather  ???
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/10/2013, 8:24 am

I'm picking 2 of these babies (kohlrabi) today.
Going to give them to the produce fellow who has been saving me all my composting material..
Because of this mans efforts my compost pile is growing like it never would have without him.
He has never tasted kohlrabi before and is he ever in for a treat, I don't think he's even seen one close up, leaving all the stems on also.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Garden11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/10/2013, 10:35 am

plantoid wrote:
llama momma wrote:Have Russian variety of purple peppers that are still producing.  Here I thought peppers hated any kind of cold temps, anyway, last night those were made into strips that were olive-oiled and broiled with sausages and garden tomatoes with a side of mashed German butterball potatoes and little side of home made apple butter.
Are you going to try and save any seeds from them ?

It sounds like a worthwhile exercise if they cry on producing  a few weeks into the cooler weather  ???
Thanks, that is a good idea Plantoid. These peppers came from a new seed packet so I do have more for next season packed away in the fridge.  Should probably and quickly look up info on pepper seed viability though. Just to be sure, again thanks!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/10/2013, 5:26 pm

Freezing doesn't kill most seeds, does it?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 10/10/2013, 5:30 pm

Beans, salad (a surprise onion + tomatoes + sorrel + salad greens) and potatoes--all to accompany a steak broiled with minced home-grown garlic and some chopped basil.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/10/2013, 5:43 pm

had an AWESOME open faced sandwich on hubbys homemade sourdough bread, topped with one of our delicious Brandywine tomatoes, still warm from the sun Smile, topped with homegrown onions, then topped with a Reed avocado from the "Avocado Diva", locally grown avocados. Boy, talk about YUMMY!! drool drool hungry hungry
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/10/2013, 7:25 pm

Fresh fingerling potatoes, green beans, tomatoes with a yummy garden style meatloaf. What a Face 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/10/2013, 8:58 pm

Jimmy, I think the idea of an intact kohlrobi is a neat thank you gift.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 10/11/2013, 12:50 am

Harvested my first ever Broccoli and made Broccoli Cheese Soup.  Had the soup with some roasted Brandywine Tomatoes with my fresh Basil, and added some store bought carrots, onions and garlic. My grandaughter made some chocolate cake with cupcake topping.  It was really good. Madge
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 20131021
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/11/2013, 3:30 am

First green beans and Dragon Tongue beans with diced bacon.  Only enough for one serving for each of us.  Maybe another serving worth in a week.  DT are fantastic for growing and picking: I can actually see them!
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Beans_10
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/11/2013, 7:35 am

unit649 wrote:Harvested my first ever Broccoli and made Broccoli Cheese Soup.  Had the soup with some roasted Brandywine Tomatoes with my fresh Basil, and added some store bought carrots, onions and garlic. My grandaughter made some chocolate cake with cupcake topping.  It was really good. Madge
MY most favorite soup, broccoli/cheese soup..that looks sooooo delicious
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/11/2013, 10:47 am

Huge fan here of broccoli cheese soup.  That picture looks heavenly!  Have to be content with Units picture for now as my brocc heads are only in the 4 inch diameter range.

Made Ratatoille this morning with nearly all the ingred. from the garden, jazzed up with some dried basil and loads of grated cheese - for an oddly timed yet wonderful tasting breakfast.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/11/2013, 6:01 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Freezing doesn't kill most seeds, does it?
If there is sufficient moisture in the seed to form ice it can split and kill the seed node in seed case.

At the worlds largest seed storage facility I think I heard it said that some of the seeds are stored  down to minus 30 oC or greater.

Wikki it , Julian will have stolen the answer and posted online from the safety of the embassy no doubt.Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/11/2013, 6:15 pm

Meanwhile

Tea tonight was 1& 1/2 inch thick  almost fat & gristle free slices  of prime lamb about the same wide by 4 inches long ,
 Quickly sizzled to a golden brown on all four sides  in a rather hot oiled frying pan so that the middles were just tinged with red . accompanied by  lightly pan boiled crunchy Dutch white cabbage  that was lightly buttered and peppered after draining off the water  c  &  small 1" dia medium boiled  minted potatoes still in their skins  .

Out the garden .. batons of courgette poached in buttered water with a twist or two of the pepper grinder.   Carrots baton  microwaved and still crunchy  in a covered small glass dish with a table spoon of water & a smidgeon of butter .  

Home made thick sweet mint sauce (from our mint bucket  )  &  packet instant gravy for lamb.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/14/2013, 8:08 am

Unit from a couple posts back inspired me to take a good look at the broccs. Then  with unseasonable warm weather lately they grew fast.  One and 1/2 pounds made into creamy  brocc-chedder cheese soup with some shredded late carrots.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Sam_2010
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Empty Eating lots of stuff

Post  cyclonegardener 10/14/2013, 9:24 pm

This week from the garden, I'm eating:
Carrots, Radishes and Peppers.
My wife is having:
Tomatoes and potatoes (they are the surprise ones I picked when digging up the watermelon vines).
Waiting on
China Rose Radish, Winter Radishes. Some peas.
Last week:
I ate the last of our watermelon.

Fall is the best time of year for the garden.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/15/2013, 1:06 am

Tomatillos and green tomatoes.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 10/15/2013, 10:48 am

Curried potimarron squash stew over basmati rice, with some of the green tomato chutney I made and canned yesterday.  Squashes didn't do as well this year as last, so each one harvested is babied until it becomes dinner.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Empty hmmm tomatoes, squash

Post  Cherbear 10/15/2013, 1:14 pm

We had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and harvested squash (buttercup) zucchini and tomatoes. All three were in the dinner yesterday. I roasted the buttercup squash with some sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and parsnips. The zucchini were fried, and tomatoes simply sliced with salt. They were yummy. Today was zucchini with my lunch with many tomatoes ripening on the windowsill.bounce
Cherbear
Cherbear

Female Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/15/2013, 1:24 pm

llama momma wrote:Unit from a couple posts back inspired me to take a good look at the broccs. Then  with unseasonable warm weather lately they grew fast.  One and 1/2 pounds made into creamy  brocc-chedder cheese soup with some shredded late carrots.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Sam_2010
wow!! those are beauties!~ wtg. We had veggie soup. Turnips, khol rabi, SWEET carrots, prob the best we've ever had, beets, potatoes, yummo!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 12 Empty hmmm tomatoes, squash

Post  Cherbear 10/15/2013, 1:47 pm

Double post is double. Anyway, I read that nonna had made green tomato chutney. I saw a recipe for that in Joy of cooking. How many tomatoes did you need?
Embarassed

Last edited by Cherbear on 10/15/2013, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cherbear
Cherbear

Female Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next